Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR June TKR newbie

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
United States United States
SpaceGirl...thanks for the encouragement. I want to find a pt like you have! Do you have the foam wedge they talk about getting? I bought one before the surgery but didn't look like the one they recommend here. I didnt like it and sent it back. It is weird...i have a recliner chair and glider chair w ottoman and resting my leg on these gets uncomfortable fast. Like the bottom part of calf gets sore from resting it on things. I guess i just assumed that the knee would be uncomfortable while healing but sitting and laying down would be no trouble. I swear everything on that side of my body hurts for some reason. Maybe I am just a sissy...haha..not sure.

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
Does anyone have pain in their tight and entire leg? Like when I do heel pulls the muscles in my thigh really ache. Even just massaging them myself they are very sore. I know right after surgery and for a bit it is sore because of the surgery itself but this isn't the same.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Like when I do heel pulls the muscles in my thigh really ache. Even just massaging them myself they are very sore.
How are you doing "heel pulls" @Disney Mom ?
I hope you aren't pulling or pushing to make your knee bend more?
This is the right way:
Heel slides and how to do them properly

If massaging your thigh isn't helping, try using a warm bottle or wheat pack on the sore place.

And remember that there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
I am using something to pull...a sheet wrapped around my foot because pt told me to do that. Originally I was doing like the pic you sent a link to but now she wants me to sit on floor up against the wall and wrap the sheet around and pull up as far as i can. I guess the premise is it will allow you to get is farther. I haven't tried a heating pad...maybe that would help.i don't know what a wheat pack is? Could it be from the exercises causing the thigh and calf pain? I am.wondering is it is some kind of sciatica since it is my whoke leg and so.etimes even my foot feels kind of numb and aches. Had a hip mri last week and go to surgeon on Wed so I guess I will find out.

Was going to.ask him about some water therapy. Wondering if doing stuff in water would be beneficial.

doodlebug60

Country
Disney Mom; hi and welcome; your PT therapist needs to be replaced as Sistersinhim has said. She Is causing you so much pain and swelling. You do not need to be doing all this exercise. You are trying to do to much this short time out of surgery. You need rest,ice,and elevation for the first couple of weeks to give your knee some time to reduce your swelling. As your knee swelling goes down your Rom will get better. The wedge pillow you need is called The Lounge Dr. You can get it on Amazon for around 45.00 or so. Prayers for a great recovery; Doodlebug

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
doodlebug60 thanks for the reply. I am 7 weeks out of surgery today. I go to the surgeon Wednesday so will talk to him.

sistersinhim

Country
I am using something to pull...a sheet wrapped around my foot because pt told me to do that.
You should never use anything to force your knee to bend beyond what your muscles do on their own. You are keeping your knee inflamed, swollen and painful. This is setting your recovery back and is no help at all. Change your PT or quit going. She's doing you more harm than good. She has not been trained for the latest way to rehab a joint replacement.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I was sent to pool PT at 4 weeks and it took me 3 days to recover from that inappropriately 50 minute session. I did not go back to the pool, and actually cancelled many appointments for the next month.

Do you actually sit on the floor to do that pull with the sheet? How do you get up? I’m sure getting up is difficult and I think that could be causing your body even more stress.

I was discharged from PT at 8 weeks. Maybe you should consider that option, with or without your PT’s approval. You can do things at home to help your knee recover, gently.

This is what @TortiTabby experienced. (Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living, which means just go about the normal things you do in the course of your day, and not doing a “list of exercises.”)
Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
Jockette, yes I have been getting on the floor. I have been sitting on the couch or a stool and then sliding down to the floor. I do the pulls and then have a pillow that I put my non surgery leg on to start to sit up...then hoist my surgery leg up and us the stool or chair to push off w my hands. Not sure that all made sense. What I dont understand is....how able the stretches you do in a chair...by pushing your surgery leg behind you to get a stretch and different than the heel pulls? It seems it is the same exercise and movement.

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
I'm sorry for posting so much about all my issues. I feel like for 7 weeks I have been dealing with this alone not knowing if I was normal etc.

One thing I wanted to ask if anyone has experiences hip/buttock pain. I feel like this started immediately on surgery leg using cpm machine but not sure that is what caused it. It is difficult to sit and lay in any position because quite literally my butt hurts. Now my leg hurts and down to my foot which I already mentioned.

Sheesh...i sound like a broken record of all my aches and pains. It is just so nice to be able to compare notes and find suggestions from people who have lived through this horror show.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Disney Mom, I wonder if you are struggling with Piriformis Syndrome. It is a very strong muscle in our buttocks and when it's tensed or inflamed, it can hurt! A lot!

Here is an article that might be helpful to you. Some of the stretches can be modified if your knee isn't ready to do them yet. I found that using a tennis ball or a softer, more mushy ball if the tennis ball is too hard for you. I would place the ball between my butt and a wall and roll it around and it was very helpful when I wasn't ready to roll around on the floor.

I hope this helps.. I liked the sitting on a firm ice pack, too.. Very soothing and helpful.

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
Hi Disney Mom, I wonder if you are struggling with Piriformis Syndrome. It is a very strong muscle in our buttocks and when it's tensed or inflamed, it can hurt! A lot!

Here is an article that might be helpful to you. Some of the stretches can be modified if your knee isn't ready to do them yet. I found that using a tennis ball or a softer, more mushy ball if the tennis ball is too hard for you. I would place the ball between my butt and a wall and roll it around and it was very helpful when I wasn't ready to roll around on the floor.

I hope this helps.. I liked the sitting on a firm ice pack, too.. Very soothing and helpful.
I am wondering if that can be the cause as well. I wonder if it would show up on mri. I had one done last week and see Dr tomorrow. My pt thinks it is the SI joint. She have me exercises to do for that along with all the knee ones I have been doing. I did them for a few days...maybe a week...it really aggravated the area and made it much worse so I stopped doing them. Not aure if the pain was the type that would have gotten better if I had continued them but was even more debilitating than I was before. Would be nice if we only had one area to worry about and work on wouldn't it?

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
CricketHip...did you have this piriformis syndrome? How long did it last?

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I've had it a few times in my life and had it to a lesser degree after my THR's.
I've found that the stretches helped but a massage over the area was most helpful. That is why I suggested using a ball and use a wall to work it for yourself.
The issue with a tight piriformis is that the sciatic nerve runs directly under it, so if the Piriformis is tight, it places pressure on the sciatic.
Would you consider getting a therapeutic massage at this stage of your recovery? A good licensed one would gently ease the tension around your hips, leg, etc.
Just like with PT, you need one who is gentle and gradually works into the areas in need.

When I've had piriformis issues, it was eased fairly quickly with massage, ice and easy walking.

After the massage helped the initial tension I could then attempt the stretches.. for maintenance.

I hope this helps. :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
I've had it a few times in my life and had it to a lesser degree after my THR's.
I've found that the stretches helped but a massage over the area was most helpful. That is why I suggested using a ball and use a wall to work it for yourself.
The issue with a tight piriformis is that the sciatic nerve runs directly under it, so if the Piriformis is tight, it places pressure on the sciatic.
Would you consider getting a therapeutic massage at this stage of your recovery? A good licensed one would gently ease the tension around your hips, leg, etc.
Just like with PT, you need one who is gentle and gradually works into the areas in need.

When I've had piriformis issues, it was eased fairly quickly with massage, ice and easy walking.

After the massage helped the initial tension I could then attempt the stretches.. for maintenance.

I hope this helps. :SUNsmile:
I would be open to massage but normally I hate massages...I know I am weird. Most people love them but I think they hurt. Last one I had I was sore for a week afterwards! I will speak to the dr about it tomorrow when I see him. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’ve also had painful massages, but then I learned there are different types of massages.

I finally broke down last year and went for a massage. I spoke with the person for a while before she started and told her that my body is very sensitive, and that I wanted a very light massage. It was awesome!

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
I’ve also had painful massages, but then I learned there are different types of massages.

I finally broke down last year and went for a massage. I spoke with the person for a while before she started and told her that my body is very sensitive, and that I wanted a very light massage. It was awesome!
This is what I will have to do. I wonder if insurance would pay for it. Also...a therapeutic massage....i am guessing that is different than a regular massage? Like would you just go to a regular massage place or are there special places for this type of massage.

OP
OP
D

Disney Mom

Country
Just an update. Went to my pt today and brought up the knee bend/manipulation thing again and apparently I must have misunderstood what she had said last week. She said I was on track and doing fine. She said she isn't worried about not bending enough and I shouldn't be either. So that made me feel a lot better than I was feeling about it.

SpaceGirl

senior
Country
SpaceGirl...thanks for the encouragement. I want to find a pt like you have! Do you have the foam wedge they talk about getting? I bought one before the surgery but didn't look like the one they recommend here. I didnt like it and sent it back. It is weird...i have a recliner chair and glider chair w ottoman and resting my leg on these gets uncomfortable fast. Like the bottom part of calf gets sore from resting it on things. I guess i just assumed that the knee would be uncomfortable while healing but sitting and laying down would be no trouble. I swear everything on that side of my body hurts for some reason. Maybe I am just a sissy...haha..not sure.
I agree overall I am very lucky on the pt aspect. I went in last time and was like I am not going to let you hurt me, make me do things that I can't do myself or make me cry. They were like OK lol I think they could tell I was not joking! I have been lucky to have the same therapist from last surgery to this one, so they know me and I know them, plus they did PT for my oldest girl when she had labrum repair surgery. I do have a lounge doctor wedge, mine has the dip in it to rest the calf not a straight one. I did not use it much for my first surgery, it hurt, but this time I have used it more. Still not as often as I should but usually at night before bed to get my leg iced/elevated for a bit so I can sleep better.

Maybe you can try a heating pad on your calf muscle, have you tried ice on it? I know I was incredibly sore all over this time around and I used heat where I needed to except on the knee (top or bottom). My thigh was really sore, I tried ice, didn't seem to work, then I used a rolling stick I have and then heated it. Oh and I have a tens unit that the dr ordered, so I use it on my thigh as well, esp in the beginning. It's gotten better, so I don't use it as often.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom