Guest viewing is limited

TKR June TKR newbie

I’m so sorry there has been no help for you, and that I don’t have any suggestions for you, either. :console2:
 
Jockette...thanks. i hate to whine and cry all the time. I feel like i never say anything positive. I keep thinking someone will read it and say....oh I had that and this is how it got fixed!
 
Last day of pt. Knee bent to 118 degrees on my own so better than the 109 2 weeks ago. Also saw the pain management Dr today. He wanted to try the epidural injections again but it has only been a week and my insurance said no. So instead he did a steroid shot in my buttock muscle. He wanted to know exactly where the pain was but it is very difficult for me to tell. Also prescribed a nerve pain that begins with a g but can't remember the name of it. I am not holding out much hope this shot will work and have another appt in 3 weeks. Maybe then my insurance will approve it but I feel like a pin cushion of experiments. He said if that didn't work he would try another area and then another. Grief. I realize he doesn't know where it is coming from but not sure I want to keep having epidural shots in hopes that one might work.
 
Another thing that bothers me is they said the dr would have to say the first injection worked in order for insurance to pay again. I obviously don't want to have to pay myself but lying seems so wrong. Yes...that is the medicine they gave me and said it might take a week or 2 for it to work.
 
I am almost 3 months out from my surgery. I am still having hip and buttock pain but what really confuses me it the fact that my entire leg aches like ive pulled muscles. Like every step I take I feel from the hip down. Do other people have this and is it normal? I keep thinking that I expected knee pain but why does my entire leg hurt as well? And do other people have a hard time sleeping on their sides with knees bent? My leg for some reason would rather be fully extended and gets super sore if I try to sleep with it bent.
 
I’ve been reading your thread & I feel for you. Constant pain is no fun. Hope you find something that helps soon.

My leg feels better, while sleeping, if it is straight also. I was side sleeper until my knees started to hurt in 2018, then I started sleeping on my back with legs straight, even got knee immobilizers to make sure I kept them straight. I’m hoping in a few months to be able sleep on my side again.
 
My TKR left was done on 6/12/20, I faithfully went to see my PT twice a week for 8 weeks. Around the end of week 8 the PT office commented how well I was walking for only 8 weeks. Unfortunately after that visit, they pushed my knee to 125 ROM and I had everything I could do to get back to my car. I felt like all my work had a major setback. Then, I joined this forum who said that you should never be in the kind of pain I had been in (nausea & lots of tears). I quit my PT then and doing much better doing my own PT. PT is overrated!!! Hope your recovery continues on a positive note!!
 
I’ve been reading your thread & I feel for you. Constant pain is no fun. Hope you find something that helps soon.

My leg feels better, while sleeping, if it is straight also. I was side sleeper until my knees started to hurt in 2018, then I started sleeping on my back with legs straight, even got knee immobilizers to make sure I kept them straight. I’m hoping in a few months to be able sleep on my side again.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just don't know if this is normal. If it is...I guess I would feel better about it knowing it will get better.
 
My TKR left was done on 6/12/20, I faithfully went to see my PT twice a week for 8 weeks. Around the end of week 8 the PT office commented how well I was walking for only 8 weeks. Unfortunately after that visit, they pushed my knee to 125 ROM and I had everything I could do to get back to my car. I felt like all my work had a major setback. Then, I joined this forum who said that you should never be in the kind of pain I had been in (nausea & lots of tears). I quit my PT then and doing much better doing my own PT. PT is overrated!!! Hope your recovery continues on a positive note!!

Thank...I appreciate it. Mine was June 22nd so around the same time. 125 pushing sounds painful...how far were you able to do it on your own?
 
On my own I could do with pain 114 ROM. I haven't got over that number but my knee is healing so much better since I quit PT. I still do the exercises they taught me twice a day everyday at home. But, if I feel like I need a break I take it. I finally feel in the next few months that there truly is a light at the end of this long tunnel.
 
On my own I could do with pain 114 ROM. I haven't got over that number but my knee is healing so much better since I quit PT. I still do the exercises they taught me twice a day everyday at home. But, if I feel like I need a break I take it. I finally feel in the next few months that there truly is a light at the end of this long tunnel.

Glad you are doing better! My PT said that I didn't need to continue doing the exercises and that things would improve just by daily life. I haven't been doing them at all but stretch some and do little things. I am just frustrated with constant pain. Sometimes I can sit and not be too uncomfortable but it has to be a soft chair...my computer chair isn't great. Also laying down isn't too bad although I have twinges in my buttock. Of course any time I move my leg at all I can feel it aching.
 
Does your TKR surgeon do 3 month follow-up? Maybe they would have some answers for you.
 
Does your TKR surgeon do 3 month follow-up? Maybe they would have some answers for you.

Yes...i have an appointment next week actually. When I called about the bottock/hip.pain they gave me prednisone...which didn't help. I had to.contact him a couple more times about it and then he sent me to a pain management place. He immediately gave me the epidural type shots in my lower back which also did not help. The following week he gave me a steroid shot in the buttock. That may have helped somewhat right in that area. So I asked what would be next and he said he would do the epidural shots again in the same.location, then if they didn't work again he would try them somewhere else and so on. I am not going to go through all those shots in case they might finally work. If they knew where to give them it would be one thing to try but being a pin cushion is not appealing to me. At this point I guess I just wait and see. I will talk to the surgeon about this and see what he says of course.
 
Geez, I'm sorry things aren't going as well as you hoped. Hopefully next week at your appointment they'll have some answers. It's certainly not easy being in constant pain. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.:prayer::praying:
 
Back
Top Bottom