TKR June 30th 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ConnieJOS if they can do others without staples then why not everyone?? That hurt worse than the surgery, lol!! Also just thinking, I should be able to get an MRI if this doc thinks it's a tendon. That would show up. My OS said anything smaller than 8mm wouldn't show up on an MRI. But a tendon would right.

Also, this is not a continual pain. In fact it's not bad at all. Only now and then if it locks up it hurts to unlock. I don't know whether I am really scared of another surgery :yikes: but it honestly feels a bit better today. Hey if it's all in my head that's okay. :loll:I just haven't noticed too much lock up between yesterday and today. I can live with noises, my other knee has some noises that I don't bother with.

:thankyou:
 
@martyz4 Your new knee may distort the image of the MRI so I don't know if it would show the tendon well enough. You would have to ask the doctor. The part going to have surgery often feels better before the surgery. Very common.
 
Why do some people get staples?
Because tehy are very quick and easy to apply and should be totally painless to take out. I can never understand how nurses (or whoever) cause patients pain taking them out as to me that just means that they don't know the proper technique. I've taken out hundreds of staples in my time and never ever caused a patient pain.
Also just thinking, I should be able to get an MRI if this doc thinks it's a tendon.
That would be unlikely as the implants makes a flare on the film would mask any nearby soft tissue.
 
Hi @martyz4

Don't let the thought of staples frighten you,it is usually the surgeons' choice as to what procedure they use to close the incision.

For my TKR in July 2014, I had can't remember if it was 28 or 32 staples and not a problem when they were remove on day 10 post op. Below is a photo about day 5 post op and the second photo is today at 13 weeks post op.

The nurse had them out in a minute or two and I can truthfully say didn't feel a thing.

Take care,
Cathie
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] June  30th 2014
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 170
  • [Bonesmart.org] June  30th 2014
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 158
@martyz4 I had 25 or more staples and when they were removed only a couple hurt, that not the right word it had like a pulling feeling on a tender spot. But all in all was not bad, but had my granddaughter with me and she went in with me (13 yrs old) and held my hand and said Nana I will take care of you.
 
Thanks so much for your replies. Why did it hurt me so much to have those damn things removed. It HURT with both knees, different OS's!!

So on to the new, news.
My Doctor called this afternoon and said she and doctor Patel had been talking about me for a couple of days trying to think of the best approach. She wants to go in arthroscopic and wash it out. At that time they will assess the knee to see if that helped. If they see nothing they will make a small incision on the outside of the knee and go in to see what's going on. It is an out patient procedure. However being that I have just had knee surgery the healing time may be a bit longer due to the knee still in the recovery mode.

I responded with, my daughter is due in 3 or 4 weeks, give or take. I just can't be laid up when she needs me. I also said I am not in pain for the most part, no pain pills needed. It hasn't locked up lately. She said, DON'T carry the baby....I said, I wouldn't put anyone in jeopardy. I am very aware of falling down. I think you get like that with 2 knee replacements.

So she is carrying on with the new operation for the first of the year. She said if anything changes call her and tell the office I need the appointment asap.

If my knee gets better yay, if not, my appointment for surgery is set. Sounds good to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@martyz4

That is a good solution and gives you the opportunity to be there for your daughter in the next few weeks and more importantly after the baby is born, when you will be especially needed.

Take care,
Cathie
 
The office called this morning already with a date for my surgery!! January 16th 2015. She gave me several dates in January and I picked that one because we have 2 birthdays, dh's is Jan. 5th and our son's is Jan. 20th.

Seems like they are really on top of things. Thanks again ladies!! :thankyou:
 
Sounds like a great plan. I baby sat for my grandson after arthroscopic surgery and I kept our world small. He liked sleeping in a big stroller when he was a little baby. I don't even remember why we did that, we had a porta crib.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad (?) that you were able to get the knee to do its thing in front of the doc and they will investigate.
 
Hello @martyz4

Great peace of mind having a surgery date, you can have your family Christmas, New Year Celebrations and two Birthdays to look forward to before your surgery. That should keep you very busy.

Take care,
Cathie
 
I feel that this is the best move for now. This gives me time to maybe heal. I will keep a positive thought there.

Dd is here with us and she also has a porta--or--mini crib in her room and a new high dresser for the baby. Our home is filled with baby clothes, stroller, high chair, car seat, pack and plays, bathtubs and diapers--millions of diapers!!! She and her boyfriend (she does not want to get married because she's pregnant :what:) This is her choice. He is with her all the way though, been here for everything. Different age I guess...I think I am too old for some of these choices lol!!! :shrug:

Hope you are all doing well!!! :cheers2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@tiredwife, Thought I would pop in and say hi to everyone that has been such a help.

I will be having another surgery on January 16th to find out what's causing me pain and cracking on the side of my knee. sometimes it gets a bit stuck until I un-crack it, if that makes sense. I can't imagine the doctor not knowing what's going on; she is a very busy surgeon and does this all the time.

I have Googled my symptoms and have no answers.

Hoping you all had a lovely Christmas :santawave: plus a Happy and Healthy New Year :cheers:!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@martyz4
I wanted to wish you luck on your up coming surgery :) I didn't like staple removal either.
Take a pain pill before you go to have them removed. Makes it much easier. Don't forget tha
"Mantra"......:elevate: :chillpill: :ice: You will be just fine.
Best Wishes,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
@new knee in June. Thank you so much Diana!! I am having arthroscopic and they (hope and trust in God) won't be stapling this time. I am getting nervous. I sure hope they find out what's wrong, hate to wake up and them say, everything looks fine....yikes!!
 
@martyz4
Good Luck today with your Arthroscopic Surgery :friends:Everyone deserves an answer &
I hope you find out what the problem is.
Thinking of You,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom