THR July Hip Replacement - When will I ski again?<

Day 14_and I we celebrated by venturing to the dance wear store to take advantage of the summer clearances for be my daughter. She will be attending a performing arts school this fall & undefeated required leotards & points shoes. We found two Leo's but ebay had better price for the ballet shoes ($40 savings), which we spent out to lunch at Moe's southwest grill. It was great to get out of the house for a while.

On another note I sent a text to my boss telling Her that I had a rough weekend and wasn't ready to work yet. She is anxiously awaiting my return to work from home on a part time basis. It's busy season in the healthcare insurance industry underwriting department. I told her I would see how I feel tomorrow, which is now today. So I logged into my laptop & spent about 2 hours just sorting thru 300 emails. Then I needed a break. I don't think I can sit at my desk which is an aurmiour. So no way to elevate my leg which is still swollen. I can use the laptop while in the recliner with my leg elevated but then I only have one monitor. I have a 2nd larger monitor at the aurmiour. To do my job I will need 3-6 programs open at a time. One small laptop screen is very inefficient. Therefore I don't know if I should wait until swelling goes down to go back to work or re-locate the 2nd monitor to the dining room where I could elevate my leg on a chair. Any suggestions or opinions? I thought I'd tell my boss I'll start work on Friday 4 hrs a day breaks as needed.

Other good news is my husband was given a substitute teachers assignment today, which we weren't expecting until the last week in August. There are a couple special ed schools in DE open. Income is great:)

I'm also walking around with just one crutch with the spandex on.

Thanks!

Last edited:
@Lski was reading your post. So sorry you have to deal with all this. How are you today? I hope you find help at home.

Yomesgirl, my home environment is good for now. My daughter is still being a typical teen and my husband is still letting her actions get to him. I try to be the peace maker.
Having more ROM this week is helping. I'll be able to drive next week which will help too.
I enjoyed the day yesterday with my husband at work for the day. My daughter did make us lunch but refused to do anything else to help. around the house. ( clean bunny litter box, clean her bedroom or even shred the credit card bills i paid). It can be frustrating but I have to pick my battles. Like this morning I enforced her to get me ice & make me a cup of tea. She had just finished her shower & wanted to finish getting herself ready before going downstairs to get ice saying she didn't have time so I told her to make time for her injured mom.

She will be out for the day with her boyfriend. So it has the potentially stress free day.

Not expecting to find outside help. So just focusing on healing & figuring out how & when to return to work.

Thanks!

Is there any possibility you could work a compromise in there? Maybe move the second monitor to the place where you can elevate your leg and then start out with just 2-3 hrs a day? Or 4 hrs 3 days a week? I’m just afraid if you rush back into the work, you will hamper your recovery. Tough decision there I’m sure, and mad even tougher if you aren’t getting pain while on sick leave. Sending healing thoughts your way and wishing you a fast recovery. It was nice you got the positive news in there about your husband’s work. Take care and ice, ice, ice! :yes!::yes!::yes!:

Granny - thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try to put the 2nd monitor on a table next to my reclining love seat & see if that works. If not I can try the dining room. I am getting paid while on leave, s that isn't the issue. I just read being out too long I'll miss important information needed to do my job well. It's a tough environment, we are judged against each other at year end based on performance. If my contributions are less than others my year end review won't be good. I know taking FMLA time is not supposed to count against you but I've done this before and found that it does. The numbers are what they are at year end. August& September are the busiest months so not being there will definitely impact the # quotes I release. On the other hand I need to be able to think clearly and keep up with the demands, turn around times and release accurate proposals. If I make a bunch of errors it won't be good either. This is my challenge.

Right now I think I'll try working 4 hrs Monday, Wednesday & Friday and 1-2 hours on Tuesday & Thursday since there are meetings these days I would need to attend for big project I lead.
I'll try do this for a few weeks and add hours on T/Th as I feel able. Maybe decrease hours on M/W/F if I am too tired or stressed.
Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks again for chiming in.

Hi! I had my right hip replaced on 7/17/18 at age 43 due to bone on bone no cartilage in my hip. Tomorrow will be my 1_week anniversary. I have enjoyed reading others posts and decided to start a thread for support & encouragement.
I did not have any complications with the anterior hip replacement. I was able to stand to change into a nightshirt the day of my surgery. I did not have the energy to walk to the bathroom until the next morning. My pain level hasn't changed since day 1 at 3-4. I use a walker to get around and shower every other day. I don't have any restrictions and was told to walk & that physical therapy may not be needed. My post op. apt. is not until 8/24. I have a nurse to call with questions. My daughter (16 on 8/8) & husband are home to help me. I am grateful for their assistance. My focus is on healing properly but not totally sure what to do for success. I'm typically very active and will soon be come bored sitting in front of the TV most of the day.
sorry if long winded just getting my thoughts out of my head. Thanks for reading.
I am just now seeing this, so sorry I'm a little late to the party. It sounds like you have a handle on things so far. No worries about being long-winded...have you seen some of my posts? :rofsign: Welcome to the healing side!

I guess I should finish reading everything before replying. :heehee: But I see you are getting fabulous advice as usual from everyone. Just wanted to say, I am thinking of you and will be following you. :)

Dogchick, I have read your thread and love following your journey. Being a couple weeks ahead of me I find it very inspirational. The energy drain you experienced recently helped me decide not to return to work until 8/20. I want to give my body a full month to heal before going back. Thanks!

Good decision.
Hope your weekend is sweet!

Today was a great day. I went grocery shopping with my husband. I rode the little cart for disabled while he pushed the big cart. Then I cooked chicken, broccoli & corn for dinner. Hubby peeled the corn & did dishes. I feel very accomplished today. Getting back to daily activities is wonderful.

:tada: isn't it?
Hope all continues to get better and better!:yahoo:

Today the cane I ordered arrived. I like it better than a crutch.
I ventured outside to snip the rose bushes. I was only out there 10-15 min. It was not i had to shower after. Hoping to see new roses bloom now the dead ones are gone.

Now we have a critter in the pipe above my wood stove. A chimney guy is on his way to see if he can free the poor thing. Hope he is able to get it out.

I liked the cane better than a crutch myself. The crutch felt awkward to me for some reason.
To each his own, whatever works best.
Consider icing tonite preventatively after gardening. Glad you got out. It's nice to feel like you accomplished something other than a shower, or making a cup of coffee, lol.
Wishing you a great week!
@Lski

Layla, I 've been icing all day, still have ongoing swelling but it gets less each day.

Update:
The little bird is free, after the chimney guy had to take the entire stove apart to find it. It was quite a stressful endeavor. I had called animal control they charged $$150 which I was shocked so then tried Critter control they quoted a price even more shocking over $700. I then tried the fire department but they just sent a police officer over. That's when I looked for a chimney sweep. The charge was still high at $185 but now my chimney & stove are clean. I'm
hoping for a peaceful day tomorrow.

Your little bird thanks you.:yes:
Hope today is uneventful and peaceful!:ok:

:hi: @Lski
Some drama in the household.
Happy to hear the little bird flies free.
Wishing you the peaceful day you're dreaming of and a great week too!

The drama never ends in my house. Last night while looking for baby oil to help remove the sticky glue from the incision bandage I found a leaking pipe under the bathroom sink. Today I'll call a plumber.

We went to church yesterday. It wasn't easy sitting in the pew not being able to elevate my leg. I was happy when we stood up to sing. I also went out to the back patio & watered my small garden which sits alongside on the left. I snipped the flowering tops off the mint, oregano, & basil. Most of the tomatoes are still green. The weeds have taken over my flower beds, and it's too hot this week to do the weeding so it will have to wait for this heat wave to pass.

The overgrown gardens get mentioned quite often on the forum as recovering hippies bide their time.
Glad you are able to get out some.
You are doing very well.
Take it easy though...still early days.
And don't forget the most obvious but rarely mentioned Big Rule -
No Falling!:no-fin:
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties