• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR July Hip Replacement - When will I ski again?<

Lski

Country
United States United States
Hi! I had my right hip replaced on 7/17/18 at age 43 due to bone on bone no cartilage in my hip. Tomorrow will be my 1_week anniversary. I have enjoyed reading others posts and decided to start a thread for support & encouragement.
I did not have any complications with the anterior hip replacement. I was able to stand to change into a nightshirt the day of my surgery. I did not have the energy to walk to the bathroom until the next morning. My pain level hasn't changed since day 1 at 3-4. I use a walker to get around and shower every other day. I don't have any restrictions and was told to walk & that physical therapy may not be needed. My post op. apt. is not until 8/24. I have a nurse to call with questions. My daughter (16 on 8/8) & husband are home to help me. I am grateful for their assistance. My focus is on healing properly but not totally sure what to do for success. I'm typically very active and will soon be come bored sitting in front of the TV most of the day.
sorry if long winded just getting my thoughts out of my head. Thanks for reading.

Bchbum4evr

Country
Welcome Twinzie! I had my right replaced on 07-17-18 too! I'm in US and understand every dr has different protocols. I have full restrictions and start PT today.

Are you sleeping well yet? I had a great day yesterday and paying with energy drain today!

Good luck and I'll be following you to see how you can encourage me and maybe vice versa.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome:
I'm happy you joined us. I think you'll like it here and get the support and encouragement you mentioned.
It sounds like you're doing well and your pain is under control. Good news!
Please read the Recovery Guidelines below paying special attention to the BIG TIP toward the bottom.
Stop back often and use lots of ice :ice: it will really help with the pain.
Wishing you well on the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Lski

rheerios

Country
@Lski I am with you. I, too am used to being super active and I had very unrealistic expectations about my recovery which created some blue days for me. Sleeping and watching Netflix because I needed to heal was tough. I would recommend when you can to schedule some time on the phone catching up.or have someone take you out for a short outing. Journaling my recovery helped too. I was thinking I would be back at work after two weeks which didn't happen. Icing and elevating have been key toy success and PT, if prescribed is what you feel good about. Listen to your body. I know many say no PT. For me,it was about my frame of mind and activity so I actually enjoy PT. The key and I will say it again is to listen to your body and do your best not to compare. I will be six weeks on Wednesday and I am finally feeling a little normal. If I had to do this again I would be prepared to take six weeks off so that my body can properly heal.

Wishing you a great week!

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
Thanks for all the support & encouragement. I am sleeping ok. I am a side sleeper so have had to adjust to being on my back. Last night I someday 3 AM to take Tylenol & oxycodine. I went back to sleep until 7AM, took meds again went to bathroom. My leg muscles are stiff but I can stand and walk, much better than 5 yrs ago when I broke my ankle and was not able to put any weight on it. I am concerned about swelling in my upper leg. I use ice & elevate but doesn't seem to help much. I have left a message for the nurse asking if I should be taking an anti-inflammatory. I was taking toradol or something else that starts with t for the swelling. I was only sent home with Tylenol & oxycodin. I also take aspirin & sonokot 2 x day. I'm supposed to start decreasing the oxicodine by lengthening the time from every 4 to every 6 hours, eventually only use Tylenol.

I was planning to return to work part time from home tomorrow but think I'll wait another week until meds are under control and no longer using the oxycodin. It makes me tired & i really need to be alert to do my job as an underwriter, pricing group insurance.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was planning to return to work part time from home tomorrow but think I'll wait another week until meds are under control
You may want to rethink this return. You have just had very major surgery. You need to rest and let your body heal. Then there is the energy drain (see the article Layla left for you above). Energy drain is real and you just can't fight it.

The normal time off work post THR is anywhere from 8-12 weeks and then a Phased Return to Work. We were all anxious to get back to "normal activity". But there is no pushing this recovery and those who do are often disappointed in their recovery.

Bchbum4evr

Country
I was told to take Advil for immflamation and ice for swelling. How much icing are you doing? I believe it's recommended 45 ish minute periods several times a day. I have 3 ice packs and basically sit on them all day, with breaks of course. I'm also living in my recliner!

These are rough days but I keep looking at the future. For me, the fact my hip joint doesn't hurt anymore makes up for these muscle pain days.

I'd definitely wait a week if you need to be alert and detail oriented. I can only focus on a few pages of reading at a time!

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
I heard from the nurse who said I can take naproxen for swelling. Hopefully it will help. I'll keep ice on it too.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Ice all you can...I stayed away from the NSAIDS as I was already taking low dose aspirin and have read some literature regarding this class of medication inhibiting bone growth.
Ice is a great anti inflammatory and a great pain reliever!:ice:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
I used a Breg polar pack instead of ice. It was on me in the hospital as soon as I got to the room and kept it going continuously. It reduced the swelling pretty quickly as I used it 24hrs. to start with. I did what my OS wanted as far as PT and walking. Only took 1 aspirin a day and took formatidine to protect my stomach from that. Aleve,Advil and aspirin are rough on the stomach and reading on here they are also supposed to inhibit bone growth as Mojo said.

Bone-obo

graduate
Country
I was planning to return to work part time from home tomorrow but think I'll wait another week until meds are under control and no longer using the oxycodin.
Wow. When I was at this point in my recovery, showering wiped me out. Sitting at the computer was useless: the little gray cells wouldn't fire and the effort to sit up for more than 15 minutes was exhausting. It wasn't until the 3rd week that I could get any work done - that was a very productive week! Until I cratered that weekend, and spent the 4th week back on the couch.

Not to say you can't do it, but beware the braincloud! You may find yourself overwriting your underwriting.

I heard from the nurse who said I can take naproxen for swelling.
Coincidently, I had a physical scheduled a week after my surgery, and my GP recommended Meloxicam, an inexpensive perscription NSAID, which was like the hammer to Thor for me - immediate huge improvement in mobility. I know NSAID's have a really bad rap, but they worked for me. (Caveat: Meloxicam was my goto drug of choice for OA for years, so I knew I could tolerate it well.)

Bull76!

Country
Ireland Ireland
I think you need anti inflammatory for the swelling. I'm on them and paracetamol for the pain. But I don't have pain, just a discomfort. I was active before and want to be out and about but I know I need to listen and do nothing. Do your exercises and do them often but not to much. Little and often is the key. I've noticed a big improvement, swelling is down, brusing get is down. Mobility is improving. At times I'm tempted to do things I shouldn't just because I'm feeling good. It's major trauma and takes time to heal. We all need to be patient.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
FYI - an excerpt:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300060517732697
Postoperative drugs
Painkillers are frequently used by patients with hip osteoarthritis. In our experience, most of these drugs are represented by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are the least safe of painkillers in terms of osseointegration. NSAIDs impair the osseointegration process of titanium implants by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2. This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells. Therefore, we suggest choosing acetaminophen (paracetamol) for mild to moderate pain and opioids for severe pain in patients following total hip replacement.

I added this to my thread also ...early in recovery, we should give ourselves am the advantages we can to stay the healing process of right.
This is just my opinion..

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells.
Look there...a reason for inflammation...ice it up to reduce swelling...this too shall pass

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
Hi! Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to stay home & heal before adding the stress of working to this journey. I lost my energy by 5pm yesterday so stayed in the recliner for the evening. I tried the naproxen but still have inflammation around my right knee left side. Muscles are stiff.

It's 1 week anniversary today so goal is to remove the bandage and get a look at the incision site. I guess I'll shower this afternoon to let the hot water help remove the sticky bandage.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Week Anniversary!
Good idea to heal more before tackling work. Energy drain is real and you're still in the very early days of recovery. Here is an article from the Recovery Guidelines on Energy Drain in case you haven't read it -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Hope you have a nice day and great rest of the week!
@Lski

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Ice that knee...they do alot of wrenching on our legs is my understanding and many complain with their knees.
If the naproxin isn't helping the swelling...I wouldn't take it just because of the bone growth inhibiting risk.
Just short jaunts, rest AND lots of ice these early days will be the most helpful.
Lots of deep healing going on.
Hope today is a better day!

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
So I removed the bandage on Tuesday and it's not pretty. Purple & blue are my favorite colors for everything but my skin. I've taken a picture the last 2 nights. When I get one i like I'll post it.

I've stopped the oxycodin , it was making me sleepy. Tylenol is helping control the pain from swelling. Using ice all day just keep moving it from one spot to another, but find it very cold.

I can use one crutch to get from the recliner across kitchen to the bathroom. Yesterday I started getting up every you for a 5 minute walk. I like the schedule and think it's helping reduce swelling & ROM.

So far so good. Hubby is at a job fair in Philadelphia, hope he finds something good. We need more income to pay all these Dr. bills and the expenses our teen who is excited to get her drivers permit in a few weeks, then a license & of course she wants a car.

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
All the best! On day 1 having had the op this morning. I am following your recovery especially with regards to pain medication. Hope your husband gets lucky x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lindyloos
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom