Julie's Back Home !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dave, I too think that with the extra weight bearing on the other hip it's probably has gotten worse. I know when I went in last time he did xray, but it was really for the new hip so when I go back on 6/2 I'll see if he'll do one on left. I know they say that it won't show too much until a collapse and then it would be flat. I don't know if I want to wait for the pain as the pain in my right was so bad. I had severe groin pain and then in concentrated heavily in my upper knee.

Like you said, we now know what to expect, know how the recovery is. Granted, like Jo always says, each operation is different and you can't expect the next to be just like the first. I wish so, because this has really been so much better than I had expected.

Good PT today and they push me but yesterday I decided not to take any pain meds except for bed time and my sciatic area was really sore and still a bit today, so back to taking some. I guess I think that I feel so good, why should I take a pain pill, but then I realize why I should. :sigh: My PT was at 7:30 this a.m. and I drove myself so didn't take one prior so did when I got home.

I still have numbness on the outer thigh but was told to expect that for first 6 months. I'm so delighted that I had an anterior approach. It's funny because everyone who has taken care of me (home health PT and now out patient PT) said they've never seen one before and were very impressed with the incision and how quickly I'm gaining strength and range of motion.

Have a great weekend everyone. :dancy:
 
Hi Julie,

Had fun reading your thread. You are doing so well. Keep trucking with that PT and moving forward! :yes 4:

I experienced some of the same stuff you did--queasy stomach off and on, numb side, and trying to decide about other hip. It is behaving so well now i hate to disturb it! Probably because of the antii-nflammatory I am on. But going back to"life" and then having to put it on hold once again is not appealing. But spending more weeks hibernating isn't either! Oh well--:sigh:
 
Hi Julie, glad to hear about your good recovery. And you are already driving, wow! Hope your other hip will last a little longer :thumb:, and you'll be able to fully recover first.
 
Renate, yes I am driving. I was at about the 3 week mark and found it not to be as difficult as I thought it would be. You having the right side done too will see how it is. Just have to take your time getting into that drivers seat and once there the driving didn't bother my leg. I think the most problem I have during this recovery is the sleeping positions that are comfortable. I wake a lot not being all that cozy. I have been able to get onto my stomach for part of the night. Also having a litte bit of knee pain on the right outside of the knee?? Oh well, wishing you luck on your soon to be new hip. :biggrin:
 
Well I had a slip and fall today. I think I'm fine. It was VERY stupid and un called for. I feel it more in my right knee, skinned it up. I landed on my left side, thank god!!! Stupid thing was, my SO, (smelled up the room) so I went under kitchen sink and grabbed the "white" can out and sprayed the room heavily........and I mean heavily...... well guess what??? The can of what I thought was Lysol.....was Pledge and hit the tile floor. It too is white can and usually sits further in the back but we had just deeped cleaned Saturday. I think I'm OK but now but my knee isn't right now and it SCARED me silly!!!! Silly isn't the word I would use, but I will. Guess I won't just look at the color of the cans anymore but the labels at well..... He needs to keep his gas away. LOL. :snork:
 
Gosh Julie, hope you are ok. Elevate your knee and ice it. Hopefully that will nip it in bud. Is your hip alright?
 
Julie
Not getting up and being able to go is defiantly a bummer. It seems to slow things down a lot. It kind of makes you wonder if a person can have too much sleep and rest and then what happens.
At my pre-op class we talked about sleeping and the nurse informed me that it might help to sleep with plump pillow between my legs like a large body pillow it worked wonders when I was able to sleep in my bed. The whole recliner thing just isn’t fun. I’m sure you’ll be sleeping in the comfort of your bed soon.
 
Gosh Julie, hope you are ok. Elevate your knee and ice it. Hopefully that will nip it in bud. Is your hip alright?


I think I'm o.k. No hip pain, just stiffness....my knee is the most. Like I said, no more smelliness and all is fine. LOL. I know tomorrow I'm going to be hurting. I've really tried to be careful in the house, watching everything I do,w watch how I get around and then BAM.. I REALLY hope this doesn't set me back. Thank you and best of luck again in a few days. I can't wait to hear about your recovery. :thumb:
 
Julie, I think we all have that terror of falling and what it might mean for our hips. At least you know you didn't dislocate it. I'm betting that a few days will put you right again. Rest, ice, pain meds....it all works. And BE careful!

Sharon
 
Pledge, Mr Sheen and all those aerosol polishes are lethal on a hard floor! Absolutely lethal.
Add a drop or two of water and they are doubly so. Be warned!
 
Julie, I think we all have that terror of falling and what it might mean for our hips. At least you know you didn't dislocate it. I'm betting that a few days will put you right again. Rest, ice, pain meds....it all works. And BE careful!

Sharon

Sharon your darn right !!! It was a honest mistake but it sure was a scary one. I didn't sleep good last night of course, but this a.m. not as bad, but I am just going to pain med it today and ice it today and take it easy and I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be back to my normal great recovery mode. You sure are right though, before having this done, you wouldn't think twice of a slip and fall and now, any wrong movement has you in fear. Time for my ice pack, a pain pill and a nap !! :sleep:
 
Julie
Not getting up and being able to go is defiantly a bummer. It seems to slow things down a lot. It kind of makes you wonder if a person can have too much sleep and rest and then what happens.
At my pre-op class we talked about sleeping and the nurse informed me that it might help to sleep with plump pillow between my legs like a large body pillow it worked wonders when I was able to sleep in my bed. The whole recliner thing just isn’t fun. I’m sure you’ll be sleeping in the comfort of your bed soon.

Shawn, the pillow thing between the legs is the only way it works for me. Sometimes I wonder if that's how I'll sleep for the rest of my life. :what: I can't wait to get back to my normal stomach sleeping. I've actually got quite used to sleeping on my back now, which is something I've always hated. Sure hope your recovery is going well. I've been keeping up with your thread "live from the recovery room" and looking forward to seeing your progress. You'll have to read further down in mine after you had posted this, I wrote something else. I had a slip and fall last night. UGH. :hairpulling:
 
Hi Julie,
I had my RTHR Feb. 28,2011 and found out at my 12 week post op that I'll need my L hip replaced in the future also. It was a shock at first but now that I'm having some pain in the L side I'm looking forward to being post op again and living pain free. But I am hoping to have some time before the next surgery. Want to heal completely and lose more weight. Sounds like you are doing well and with a great attitude. Keep up the good work!
 
Dianemarie, I know what you mean, I would like to fully heal as well, but I also want to get this done and finally get back on with life. I know that it will take a bit of time to really FULLY heal, but I know I'll be on the right track. I get asked all the time, why did I have to have my hip replaced, you are too young for that?? The diagnosis of AVN isn't a easy thing to explain to people.
 
Oh, Julie.....so sorry you had a tumble, but you'll start to feel better soon. I'm glad your injuries weren't serious and I'm certain your hip is fine.

Next time, spray directly on the smelly offender!!!!:hysterical:
 
Well today was my 6 week check up. Well close enough to 6 weeks which will be Monday. Received my release back to work but he wants me to continue with 3 more weeks of PT since he doesn't think I'm where I should be by now. I was kind of shocked by that. Laying down he wanted me to raise my righ leg straight up like it wasn't anything and of course I can only get it maybe a inch or so. He said that is not good at all and I need to get the Glutes a lot stronger. Whew.... I guess the OS's expect a lot of their patients. He did do x-ray of my knee from my fall and said all showed good with it and we'll just keep an eye on it. Probably just a bruised knee cap. I did ask about my other hip and what his thoughts are. He said wait until it hurts....I was hoping to have done this year like I said earlier with insurance and out of pocket expenses, but I guess it's best to heal good before and also get my "Glutes" on that side nice and strong first. I will at least know this time when the pain starts what it is since am at a pre-collapse on the left side. When the pain starts, surgery will happen and won't wait it out for sure. Well that is my update and I guess I'll be working harder so when I see him in 3 weeks I'll be able to raise the leg better. :biggrin: Thanks everyone for the support, it's been great.
 
Hi Julie! Glad to hear your knee is OK after that fall. Whew!

The straight leg raises are always the hardest for me to master, too. Here's a trick my PT taught me: Hook my foot with the handle of my cane and help pull it up with the cane. PT said the important thing was to get the leg up, with or without support, and that repetitions eventually would make it strong. She was right! I can now lift it up and hold it for 5 seconds -- without any assistance from my cane.

Good luck on your progress!

Joan
 
Julie, don't you let them rush you back to work now. That is not going to help.
 
Jo, from what I read, it's only in the US that this happens. Everything else I read, no other country but us has us go back to work in 4-6 weeks without worries???? Don't know why that is? Can you answer that? As of today I was supposed to raise my leg without a problem? I know I had AA surgery which was great for recovery, really it was and I advocate that for anyone who can, but still Really??? I do feel good in most ways, put still don't if you know what I mean. I tire some days, some days I don't. What is weird, I have mood spells. Some days great days and other days I'm down in the dumps. Is this post normal?? Any words of widsom are always welcome... Love you all.
 
No, you don't have to. Many people choose to and many regret it. Some have to because their employers are not understanding and too demanding. But there have been many BS members who have gone back at 10-12 weeks or so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom