Guest viewing is limited

Julie's Back Home !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was 2 weeks yesterday!! :yay: I haven't been writing anything, but I've been keeping up on reading posts. I guess I've just been busy. I've been working from home via remote laptop link to my desktop at work. Some days 5-6 hours and some just a few. Between that and PT and doing the exercises as much as possible, I feel the day just fades away.

I get my staples out on Thursday. :yahoo:I can't wait for that. All and all, this has been not too bad. I had a bad day last week , guess the stool sofners hit me hard and my stomach took a spin. Ended up on toilet and throwing up at same time. UGH. That was the worse I can remember ever feeling. Feeling better now, but still not eating a whole lot. Just don't have the appetite and my stomach still churns. I've ventured out a few times now on errands, but not much. Mainly just staying in and doing my PT and getting rest. It's something, right after I got home for almost a week I took naps all the time and a few a day, now I haven't napped in a few days so by evening I'm ready for bed. I'm now finally able to sleep on my side (non operated side) with pillow between my legs for part of night and then I get stiff so I have to turn to my back. My pain meds are down to barely any. I'm actually feeling that well and doing that well that I don't feel a need. I hope I'm not jinxing myself and I feel bad for saying this, after reading about others. I still have some stiffness and numbness on side of thigh, but other than that, I can't say I have much to complain about.

Hope the remainder of recovery continues like this because it will make me feel better about the next side. I know everyone has said, no two operations are the same or recoveries (guess just like giving birth) LOL.

Thanks for all the support and continued support !! :friends:
 
Hi Julie, nice to hear about your good recovery. Can't wait now to get mine done. I like the part of childbirth:biggrin:. I had 2 scheduled c-sections, no labour, walked right after the epidural, took Tylenol, and was somehow ok. I hope you continue to recover like this:yay:.
 
Sounds like you are really doing well Julie. Just keep on doing what you are doing! Fingers crossed you continue to progress so easily!
 
Hi Julie, nice to hear about your good recovery. Can't wait now to get mine done. I like the part of childbirth:biggrin:. I had 2 scheduled c-sections, no labour, walked right after the epidural, took Tylenol, and was somehow ok. I hope you continue to recover like this:yay:.

Best of luck to you and I hope you recover quickly like I have so far and just like your child birth. :biggrin: My surgery was 4/25 and you are 5/25 and both of us with our right side. Looking forward to hearing your story.
 
Sorry about the tummy problems, but glad that's getting sorted out so you can continue with the excellent recovery.
 
Well I had my follow-up yesterday and staples removed. :yahoo: How nice to have those out. All is going very well and the OS said that I'm ready to start out patient PT next week. Nadine, I feel ya. I too have a SO that had to get back traveling for work. He was home for the first 2 weeks and now had to get back out and be gone all the time so I sit at home by myself. Yes I have my folks and friends that will do things for me, but it's just not the same and I hate to have to ask for someone to take me somewhere. The doc asked if I would be able to have a ride next week for PT. I told him I'd figure it out. He said he prefers me to wait one more week before driving since it's on the right side. Bummer !!!! I do understand because I've wondered how I will get in a car from that side to begin with. So now I sit at home........ A girlfriend will come over and pick me up tonight for "girls" evening at her house and she said as soon as I get tired she'll drive me right back home.

I did get to have a copy of my x-ray that he took when I went in. WOW, it's funny to see the new me. :th_heehee: I asked if I'll be setting off buzzers at airports and he said that he could give me a card but most people don't want that because then they have to go through the whole gambit so he said you'll either not beep or you'll beep. LOL. I'll bring my nice picture as evidence. LOL.

Next appointment will be 6/2 and then I should get my walking papers back to work.

To all others who are getting ready for their surgery, good luck and I sure hope you have a wonderful recovery as I have had. I could be more pleased with my OS and the hospital I was at. I never been treated so well and had such great care!!! Hard to say that these days.
 
Great report Julie! Now you can celebrate with a girls night out! :yahoo:
 
Julie, don't worry about driving and getting in and out of the car. When you reach that point, it will be just as easy to get in and out of the driver's side as it is on the passenger's side. Once I could do that, I started with very short drives...a mile or less. I could feel the strain on my thigh and hip as I shifted pedals. But within a week, as the muscles were all strengthening, driving became easier and easier. You are on your way.

Sharon
 
Hey Julie,

Great to read your continued progress...and, no more staples!

Yes, the Xray is amazing when you think of all that new equipment holding you up now--I love it!

I agree with Sharon about the driving thing. You'll know when you feel ready and it will come pretty easily at that time. Just take it slow getting in and out.

Don't forget to think about a temporary handicap sticker if your doctor will agree to that for you. I found it to be very handy on my earliest days out driving again, at least as some peace of mind that you won't have to walk too far when you're first venturing out again...it's so easy to wear yourself out these first couple of months.

Keep healing! :biggrin:

Dan
 
Well it's been 3 weeks one day since surgery. This morning at 8:00 was my first outside PT. What a difference from the home health PT. A few different balancing things which was very different to do and then one of the machines that you do basically leg presses I guess you could say. My thighs felt it afterwards. Then what I always like is the electric stimulation along with ice pack.

All and all everything is moving along very well. I may take 2-3 pain meds a day and that's it. Usually in a.m. after waking since I'm very stiff and sore then and it makes it easier to get the exercises in then. Most days I skip anything further for the rest of day and take something at bed time.

As others have posted, there have been the "post" surgery blues. My SO was out of town all weekend, I couldn't drive, didn't feel like talking to anyone and basically just hibernated all weekend. Of course whenever he would call me, he could hear it in my voice. I got out of it and think it may be done with and hopefully won't have another "blue" weekend.

I'm hoping to get back to some normal activities and have a little bit of a break and possibly as my SO says, a nice vacation before the other hip gets done.

My next follow up is 6/2 so I will then discuss what his suggestions are for my left hip. Right now I'm not experiencing pain in it, but I know it needs to be replaced and I would rather have it done sooner than later and then get back on with life. Of course there also is the insurance issue. With all out of pocket now met, who wants to have to go through that kind of large expense next year when this year I would get another new hip for "free". :biggrin:

Well that's the latest for me. Now back to getting some work done from home. Amazing to link into my desktop at work and get things done.

Have a great day everyone.
 
Sorry you got the blues this weekend Julie. Do come here and "chat" when that happens. It is totally normal and we have all been there.

You are right - getting out and starting to do normal things really does lift the spirits.

Sounds like you are doing very well in your recovery! Keep up the good work!
 
Hi Julie,

The timing of your post-op blues was the same as mine. I had one really down couple of days between 2 and 3 weeks for each surgery, but none after that. (I'm not counting those blah, dreary days -- just the really weepy ones.)

Good luck on your recovery and I hope you get that other hip replaced yet this year -- I'd want that, too, if it were me.

Joan
 
Talking about your left hip when you have just had your right one sorted brave woman just let your right one recover first Julie.
 
Julie, I think you're doing really well! Those blues do come and go, but once you realize it's just part of recovery it somehow is easier to get through it usually. Of course, we're always here if you need us!

I like the idea of a vacation in between surgeries....sort of a reward and a preview of the good days to come. YES!!!!
 
My next follow up is 6/2 so I will then discuss what his suggestions are for my left hip. Right now I'm not experiencing pain in it, but I know it needs to be replaced and I would rather have it done sooner than later and then get back on with life. Of course there also is the insurance issue. With all out of pocket now met, who wants to have to go through that kind of large expense next year when this year I would get another new hip for "free". :biggrin:
.

Julie, I had that exact discussion with my doctor today. I am not experiencing pain with my left hip right now either. Judging from the xray, the doc says I might squeak two years out of it, at best. I mentioned the insurance issue. So he said to give it a mighty workout over the next two months and see how it does. If it starts to act up, he would fit me in this calendar year.

So...I'll give it a mighty workout. And then, we'll see. To be continued....

I'm quite curious to hear what your doctor says.

Sharon
 
Sharon, yes I will make sure to let you know what he says. Now that I'm with agressive PT I want to get strong with the "new good hip" and work the bad hip. It's funny I tell people that it's my bad hip and they now tell me no, the new hip is you good hip. Hard to think of it in those terms. :scratch:
 
Julie (and Sharon)

I also had a very similar discussion with my consultant at my 6 week follow up appointment earlier this week, and at some point in the not too distant future face operation number 2.

I also have/had AVN in both hips.

I dont know if its just a natural deterioration of the un-replaced hip or the fact that over the last few months it has been carrying a disproportionate amount of my weight but I am now getting more discomfort in the un-repalced hip.

The consultant confirmed that he xray showed further deterioration over the last six weeks. Have either of you noticed the same?

At least next time we know what to expect and know where to discuss with others concerns and experiences with others who are on the same journey.

I have found this site invaluable
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom