TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point @Judlepip - I am sure all the errors are swept well under the carpet!!

I had an arthroscopy at Stanmore, many many moons ago and even then the care was great. I was totally confused as I had been seen privately and was referred there for the minor op. When I was discharged, I kept trying to pay them and it all got very confusing ......... we finally realised that for some obscure reason I had been treated as an NHS patient there. However, I had a private room and had no reason to know it wasn't just the private bit of an NHS hospital! I'll never forget the lovely nurse there, who brought me and the 2 guys who were being operated on roughly the same time as me, tea and toast at midnight just before the nil by mouth - while we were playing pool!

Hope you are having a good day today - I'm trying to enjoy this lovely weather for as long as it lasts.

XX
 
Hi @dogwheels. Well I was seen under NHS, but in the private wing! (Fat lot of good that did me, in the circumstances!!). I wonder if you'd have got the sandwiches if they'd known you were NHS!

Ok. I have a joke! (Well it amused me!). I have just changed my phone provider and am now with Virgin. Well, I had to ring them to sort something out and the chap who answered gave his name and I just thought I'd misheard. However after sorting out problem he said he'd text me with further info. Ok says I. I have now just received a text as follows:
"From Virgin: Hi Judith this is Jesus"! He then continued with the info! I was laughing out loud. I've kept the text. I think I've been blessed!!!

I just have to post that on Nana Moon's thread!! May as well give everyone a laugh!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Loved it @Judlepip! I just read your post and burst out laughing. Absolutely priceless.

It reminds me of the story of somebody ringing Jesus College in Oxford on Christmas Day. The phone was answered and the caller said 'Is that Jesus?' when they replied that it was, the caller then proceeded to sing 'Happy Birthday to You!'

XX
 
@Judlepip and @dogwheels Love your "funnies". In my part of the world Jesus is a very common name --however it is pronounced in Spanish fashion as Hay-soos…
JP--Any success with getting a referral to a recommended OS sorted out?
 
Hi @Chihuanhuan. Unfortunately my GP assures me she can't refer me to the Royal National as it's 'outside our area', but says they will accept a referral from a consultant! So guess what? Yup, I have to see my consultant again. However she is writing to him beforehand to explain the situation. I'd rather that as he'll be prepared ( AS WILL I!!). Then just hope that she and I can persuade him to refer me on. She is behind me however and promises we'll see this through! I can't see a 'fingers crossed' smiley, so you can imagine it! Fingers and toes!
 
@Judlepip Glad you are making progress. I'm not getting your alerts as you have my avatar misspelled --its Chihuahuan (after the Chihuahuan desert) J
 
@Judlepip You have it! I rarely write on my own thread --I'm boringly doing well with TKR#2 but I love to chat with and support everyone else. :) TKR#1 has patella issues but if I don't kneel on it all is well --it is sitting way to close to the implant--as long as I can reasonably walk, swim, and sleep with it I'm happy. If it acts up during our vacation I'll have the OS look at it again at my annual check in December.
My surgeons have both told me --in the pre-surgery check-up-- that a TKR is not a guaranteed solution to knee pain. I think we go into it with such hope of being pain-free and stable that it's easy to forget about that. I am anxious to know what your surgeon says about your un-straight leg….and why it was not straightened--as I'm sure you are. Let us know how your appointments progress. J
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Chihuahuan You have an annual check? I'm pretty sure we just have the one (at a year) and then they sign us off! I can't walk. Get up from sitting, carry things unless I can hold in to a support. I'm a church goer and I can't kneel, or if I try, on one knee, I can't get up again! I've aged at least 10 years since having this surgery and I want it mended! I know it's not a guaranteed success, but my pain was NOT that bad, I was walking MILES each day. The surgeon convinced me it was necessary and now look at me. Disabled. I'm not happy. AT ALL.
I just hope I can hang on to this anger til I see him - 14th July.

Woah! There was a rant! Sorry! Thanks for your interest. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Judlepip,
When I went to see my first surgeon, after I had seen 3 OS for second opinion, I had a plan of how I was going to talk to him. Calm, direct, and stay focused on why you are there. My goal was to gather truthful information from him, and as long as I stayed focused on that I was OK. I did finally get the answers I was looking for, said good by and moved on to another surgeon. Your goal is more complex in that you want a referral.
Never take your eye off the prize, 1) information, 2) a referral. Stay focused, stay calm, have a plan, and keep it brief. If you can have someone go with you, that will help keep you focused.

It will help you to lay out your plan here, everyone here will help you and provide much needed support.
Vent here, not at the OS.

This is not easy, but you can get there,
:friends:
 
Thanks @pumpkin I know you're right. I was wondering whether to take Hubs with me, but I think he'd just be embarrassed! I may take a friend or, yet, Hubs. We'll see. I think I need someone there to keep me on track. Thanks for the support. I need that as I'm not at all a confrontational person. I have to learn. Quote from you; 'Calm, direct, and stay focused on why you are there.' I must see this through.
 
It is rough, there were times when my thoughts if anyone knew, oh my the poor man if I had acted on them.
Sounds like you are getting started in the right direction, give yourself time.
 
Yes, if you have someone who can be helpful keeping you on track and calm that could be useful for you. Also a second pair of ears for what your doc is saying.
 
@Judlepip I'm a churchgoer too and learned years ago that kneeling was just a practice. Our visiting bishop this week stood for the entire service -- I was the chalice bearer for him so we chatted before the service about kneeling not being required.
Pumpkin has great advice --I advised Nana Moon 27 to take in a list of 3 questions/statements on a notecard and hand them to him/her, have someone with you to write down the answers and repeat them back, and to be really calm. Surgeons in particular do not tend to deal well with emotional folks. From your posts maybe
" My leg is not straight - I feel that this is causing my continued pain and disability "
"I would like to have ……….evaluate my knee, please arrange for the referrals".
 
So sorry you are going thru this. This a good place to rant so do it! I also don't blame you for feeling angry. I was in a lot of pain before surgery so the after result was great! Hope you get some answers soon!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine. My GP is suggesting that a Mr Zahn is a good option (if I can't get a referral to T.R.O.H.). Have you heard of him? (SE Kent area). I wonder also if you have any thoughts re a Mr Philip Housden?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Judlepip Just to totally freak you out I did a Google search for Dr. P.H. and this is what I found on about page 3

[TKR] - Judlepip has Turned a Corner!! | Page 10 | Knee & Hip ...bonesmart.org › ... › Knee Replacement Recovery Area
  1. Jun 16, 2014 - 12 posts - ‎6 authors
    Just out of interest; have you heard of, and have an opinion of Mr Philip Housden(Orthopaedics)? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
We need to remember that this is a public forum and names need to be private. Perhaps such questions need to go by private message to Josephine …...
 
Actually we do not keep surgeons' names private. We routinely provide the names of surgeons to our members, assuming we have some reference information on them. What we don't permit is any "bashing" of a surgeon that someone might have an issue with, since the doctor is not here to respond. This forum is a positive resource for folks out there.
 
@Chihuahuan Yes, I thought the same, but having already had similar conversation with Josephine on PM she too told me that it's OK to name names. I wouldn't dream of 'bashing' any of them In spite of my bad experience, I feel that anyone can make an error. Just my bad luck that it was made on me! (and no way does he get a second chance!!) :yikes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom