TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often think if there was a little more education on "knee health"--not just losing weight (often the automatic "go to" item of docs) :umm:, but maintaining muscle strength etc. some of us might have slowed some of the deterioration. But the bottom line is it's the condition of the knee not your birthday that should be the deciding factor.
 
Hi @Judlepip - I agree with @Ellejay - its a shame that you did not get an answer regarding your meds. I am afraid I am no expert - and only took paracetamol and the odd co-dydramol for the first few weeks post op, so cannot help. I wouldn't worry about the 'stomach protector' - I take Omeprazole as a matter of course for gastritis and hiatus hernia. Anything to protect your tum from meds is good in my book!

It is strange isn't it that some people on here are getting TKR's in their 40's? I have known since I was 29 that I would need one (happy thought), and yet even when I was bone on bone 2 years ago, I was still made to wait until it was getting too much. By then my Oxford score was ridiculously low and way below even the NHS TKR level. I just hope that as TKR's have become more commonplace, revision skills will improve in direct proportion. These knees do not last forever ........ yet! Therefore younger recipients will probably need a 'replacement replacement' later in life. It is interesting also as I have heard and been told, that often the worse a knee is before surgery the more difficult and complicated the recovery is - so you'd think they would be keen to operate sooner rather than later. I suppose though it is a delicate balancing trick to get the timing right.

Thank you for your supportive comments about my recovery on NanaMoons thread. I agree that it takes a long time to recover from this operation and it is not an exact science. As I have told many on here, its a marathon not a sprint. I do however feel (I think) somewhat justifiably cheated that I had already made a superb recovery at 6 weeks, good ROM, going up and down stairs, no meds - the works, only to lose it all a matter of days later without warning. I have therefore had to re-do that 6 weeks completely, which has been soul destroying. Although I have been pretty upbeat and patient, it niggled me today that exactly 12 weeks post op, I have achieved nothing more than I had at 6 weeks, only managing to regain what had been lost. I have not cried at all since the TKR and am fortunate to have avoided any depression or 'blues' - but today I allowed myself just an ounce of grumpiness and self pity, thinking where I could have been at 12 weeks if the bleed and haematoma hadn't happened. Still, we will all get there in the end and at the pace our knees dictate!

Take care
X
 
Thanks @dogwheels. From nana moon's thread, I hear your slight anxiety with your high pain threshold. I'm sure, having experienced a TKR you'll recognise pain in other areas, well, I hope so! I evidently have a low pain threshold and am a slow recoverer! At least I've got this far and can 'see the light'. I'm managing to walk a few miles now, which has been my aim. It certainly seems hard that you had such a huge setback. I do hope you can stride ahead (pun intended!) from now on. X


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Skinny jeans on for first time this year! (Can't bend knee, but hey!).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip I just read your post regarding your meds. I'm still on Morphine and paracetamol. I am going to have a serious chat with my GP again on Tuesday. The following Tuesday I will be seeing my OS and I hope to get some answers as to why I can't straighten my knee properly despite doing all I'm told to do. I find this very frustrating but I put my happy head on, know there are far worse than me out there and try to be cheerful. Boy it's hard sometimes. Xoxox
 
Hi @judilpip. I just wanted to post my Clark's and propets for you. I loved the ones you found!

[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!


[Bonesmart.org] Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!



RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - good luck with the OS appointment. I'm not convinced they know very much about recovery, I hope yours is different! I'm sure your GP will have some answers.
@Jozilla thanks for the pics. I especially like the Propets, are they comfortable for walking and how is the fit?
 
I just got the propets from amazon and they come in different colors. Fit is a little tight compared to Clark's same size 9 wide. Just wearing for 2nd time so i will let you know about the comfort as I will be on my feet a lot today. I am so jealous of Nanamoon's size 4!!!! It is my grandson's 1st birthday party today at my house. I am sure I will be resting both knees later! Enjoy your day.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hey @Jozilla don't be envying my little feet because they have two theories here at home about my small feet, actually three! 1) they're too small for my height and that's why I'm always losing my balance or tripping over, 2) nothing grows in the shade (ref to my big boobs!) and 3) they help me stand closer to the kitchen sink! Ha ha lol that's my family's theory the cheeky lot!!! Xxx

The shoes are lovely by the way. They look so comfy x x x

@Judlepip I hope my GP is sensible and signs me off until I've seen the OS next week. If he's no good I'll get a second opinion. How are you today? X

Take care love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hello @Nana moon 27. I like the theories for your small feet! Typical family comments!
I'm really good today thank you. For the first time, I almost forgot the knee for a short time! :fingersx:

I'm going to try to manage two lots of five miles next week:hiking: Maybe Monday and Thursday. I'll report back! I'm so happy to be back walking. Even to do a mile feels good after all the trauma.
 
Oh I. So glad youve had a good day today, you so deserve it. Good luck with the walking for next week. Mine has hated me for the walking and aquacise I put it through the last few weeks but tough. I'm in charge not my knee! That's how I'm being with it now. It's not really working though.

Lovely to hear from you

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Just wanted to drop by and say the shoes were very comfortable. I was on my feet for a good part of the day and not too bad. Again my tkr held up better than the other knee and I was walking like a robot by the end of the afternoon.

Love your families logic @NanaMoon27. Very funny. However life is not fair! Small feet and big boobs??? Now I am really jealous. Lol!!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
The joke of all this is that I had very small boobs (my husband used to say that all I needed to create a bra for myself was two corn plasters and a piece of string! Lol) until I reached 40 and all of a sudden, whammy! One pair of double FFs courtesy of God. Thank you! I have an hourglass shape, which ok is fab in a dress but try and get jeans or skirts to fit. It is very difficult. Small waist and big bum are difficult to cater for. At the moment I am very limited on what I can wear because I've gone up a full dress size and none of my wardrobe fits. I've bought a couple of bits and pieces just so I have a change.

Take care love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
Good news on the shoes @Jozilla. I'm hoping to collect one pair of mine tomorrow - other pair should arrive through the post tomorrow. Looking forward to comfy!
I was similar @Nana moon 27 as far as boobs went. Had none til I reached .... about 50 I think, then ... boobs arrived belatedly! I shall soon go up a dress size if I don't stop eating! Had the chocolate munchies today! ;(
I'm doing ok so far on walking. Did 6 miles on Monday, but don't know when I'll have time to do another few miles, busy week. I thought today was going to be my first without pain meds - big mistake! Not there yet!
Hya @Karringtyn. You ok?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi it's nice to know I'm not the only one that had this happen. None of my work clothes fit. I've gone up a full dress size! Yet I lost loads after surgery it's all gone back on with interest! Xxxx
 
Let me know how you like the shoes!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom