TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To change your thread, just tag a moderator @skigirl , and they can change your title to what ever you like.
Glad you are starting to feel better. WOW 4.5 miles, that is a milestone, no pun intended:heehee:.
Take care,
 
Hello @Judlepip - can't stop as I am off to hydro - panic stations, I got the time wrong! I am sure that they removed part of my brain at the same time as they sorted my knee.
Glad you are feeling much improved today - perhaps its this lovely spring weather?
I thought I was just having a series of senior moments when I went to tell you how to change your thread title - I could not see how on earth I did it. As I said, I changed mine, and then last week changed it back to the original but added ' ..the sequel' so I know that I did it. Also it would have to be easy as I am extremely computer-challenged!
I did a search for the info and another BS member has said the same thing today ... she could do it and now can't. @Pumpkln is correct, it appears that in the past it was always a moderator's job to do this (personally I think this is just added work for them). Certainly we could do it recently and now can't. I'll keep an eye out to see what is going on.
Must dash
X
 
I will be glad to change your title. Just type @skigirl and I will see the "tag" and let me know what you want as a new title. I changed it to "Judlepip has turned a corner for now as I know you wanted something new. Just let me know what you want and I will change it for you!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thanks @skigirl! I saw that title and thought 'I don't remember doing that!' Thought I was losing it! However, it's a great heading and will do me fine for now as it's just exactly how I've been feeling in the last couple of weeks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I walked 4.5 miles today with my walking friends! It felt great to be back in harness. I shall aim for the longer walks in a month or so. I want to be able to walk to the sea, but it involves a fair bit of rough ground, so will wait a while. Woohoo!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Oh, my blues have lifted! I am back into therapy and working hard at life in general.....
 
4.5 miles? THAT is inspirational!! YOU GO!
 
i agree---that is awesome. I also walk with a group--we frequently do five miles in the am. It is energizing. Be sure to give yourself a couple of days of rest in between the longer walks for now---slowly, slowly wins this race!! I am glad you liked the title---just let me know when you want a new one. Kelly
 
Congratulations!!! You are doing great and that is a wonderful report!

It is awesome to see how far you are walking now and how much you re enjoying it---that is what a TKR is all about!

I am sure that, down the road, your hikes will get farther and you will be able to enjoy them even more!

Be sure to give yourself a couple of days of rest in between the longer walks for now---slowly, slowly wins this race!!
Kelly is correct--take your time and move faster and farther slowly, and you will be amazed at how far you can go!
 
@Karringtyn. Great news that your blues have lifted. They're the worst when you're feeling sore anyway!

Also, thanks @referee54. I didn't see your post 'til I had posted, but yes, I'll take it slowly. Having got here I do NOT want to go backwards!
 
Glad things are looking better for you. You know, we routinely tell folks that it's at least 6 months before they begin to feel somewhat normal again. Real recovery takes a year or more. So, I'd say you are doing very well to be walking 4+ miles!!! Bravo!!!
 
Thanks @Jamie - all of a sudden, I really do seem to have turned a corner! I keep remembering a supportive post from @gazelle7777 in which she said that by 7 months I'd feel much better and 10 months - amazing! I've hung on to that and I think it will be true! What amazes me is that we're not told before the op. just how long and difficult recovery will be. I realise that everyone recovers at a different rate, but I would have liked to have been prepared at least a little! It has been a shock to the system in more ways than one!
 
We wonder the same thing! We would love it if surgeons and their medical staff would be a bit more honest about the potential for a fairly long and/or painful recovery. Some do....but there are plenty that don't. That's precisely why we feel it's important to have BoneSmart as a resource for folks who need more information.

Glad that you have really turned a corner. I think you'll find things continuing to improve now.
 
Thats great news , your perseverance has paid off. You really hung in there. You are a inspiration to many who feel they are behind in their recovery. Thanks for sharing your story. Isnt it great to do activities and to not have that pre op pain . Its truly a miriacle . Keep up the great work. I believe you will still see significant gains and improvements in the not too distant future. Way to go ! Best wishes Iceman
 
That's a great walk! :thumb:
 
Sorry your trip wasn't exactly as planned - but what you did sounds good to me! I had been given the all clear by my OS to drive, a fortnight ago- but before I had an opportunity to do so, disaster struck - so I am a bit confined to barracks. However, I have made up for lost time with online retail therapy!
My physio says although I'm OK to drive (I'm a leftie and have an automatic) she wouldn't advise it for another couple of weeks until I am comfortable sitting in the car again. I am back to fidgeting to find a comfy spot in the car, and that is not ideal when you are supposed to be concentrating on your driving! I cannot wait to get to the shops again - I have withdrawal symptoms.
Hopefully the trousers you ordered will be comfortable for you. I have lived in dresses since the op, and once the dreaded 6 week TED deadline expired and I shed those hideous stockings, have been wearing leggings and tunics. Thankfully because my knee has been so bad for so long, most of my trousers have been stretchy to accommodate the 'swell factor'.
Well I am off for yet another session of hydrotherapy tomorrow. We all laugh as what with the first lot that I had and now this second lot - I am a permanent fixture at the clinic pool and have probably had more sessions than any one else on this site!
Enjoy your evening and hope you get a good night.
X



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I think that the reason why many surgeons don't warn you how long full recovery takes is that they honestly don't realise. They do the operation (the technical stuff), see you a couple of times in the immediate post-operative period, maybe again in a couple of months and then say "See you in a year's time."

By then, all the technical stuff (their handiwork) is well healed and most people are feeling great. They don't realise that recovery has been a slow, steady grind.
 
@Josephine or @Jamie, I would appreciate some advice with my, to me, lengthy recovery. I have accepted that it all takes time and I can expect to be in recovery for up to a year (sigh), but at 5 months post op, should I still be needing Solpadol (30mg/500mg) x2 daily and Ibuprofen (400mg) x 3 daily? It seems excessive. My knee swells with any exertion and is especially painful at night. I dislike having to take meds, and the added indignity of Lanzoprazole to protect the stomach lining is a further concern! I'd be grateful for any thoughts.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Judlepip, thought I'd pop over to you for a change. Yes, unfortunately left knee is very bad, so bad that I needed a mobility scooter to get round Canterbury on Friday. (I can recommend them if you ever get to the stage of needing one, in the car park above Boots) I went all round the town and around the outside of the cathedral. TKR knee is really good, no swelling, very little pain these days- thank goodness it is otherwise I don't know how I'd manage.
It's a shame nobody has replied to your post above, I can't help I'm afraid, being behind you in my recovery time, and I know we're all different. I was just taking four paracetamols a day, 2 in the morning and two at night.
 
PS - you commented on people being very young, I agree with you, I had to fight to get mine at the age of 60, I'm very surprised to hear from folks in their 40s, but as we know, once our knees go they really need replacing there and then, and it's good to hear that consultants are being more understanding and not making us wait for a 'magic' figure for our age.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom