TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chihuahuan Hi Jen. Thanks for that. I'm coming round to it! Today I had cataract surgery and to be honest it all just seems too much at the moment! I'm sure that no further surgery is a good thing although I would have liked to be able to improve on my situation. I like the idea of massage. I'm sure that would help, what a shame that our NHS don't provide it! I'm very glad to hear that you were able to access such a lovely treatment on your cruise. Thanks for dropping in on me!:)
 
One thing he did say and seemed interested in was a Baker's cyst behind the operated knee. He didn't offer any resolution though. I have no idea how much it matters, or not! @Josephine, any answers?
 
@Judlepip
Hi Judith,

Hope that you are comfortable after your cataract surgery today.
Rest and take it east for a few days.

You'll now be on a series of several eye drops each day that will keep you very busy !

I made a chart to help me remember which drops at which time and would tick the time off when I put the drop in, as it's easy to forget .

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Hi Cathie. Not too bad really; just two drops x 4 times a day (same drops) so not complicated. Tonight my eye is very blurry, but I hope will improve day by day. Impatient me wanted an instant result! Heyho!

He's going to do the other eye in a month's time. I should be home and dry by Christmas! You were young to have yours done weren't you? Most of the patients (well all actually!) we're ancient like me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Judlepip Hi Judith,

I had 3 sets of drops
1 set 4 times a day for 7 days
1 set 2 times a day for 30 days
1 set one drop first thing in the morning & one drop at bedtime for 30 days.

Did you have intra-ocular lens inserted ?

I had to wear an eye patch black out shield for 24 hours and then return to hospital for checkup on day
2 post-op, when that was removed and started the daily drop routine.

Vision blurry for first few days and gradually improved each day.

Then wear a clear plastic eye shield (taped to face) each night going to sleep for 30 days.

I'm not that young, 62 at the moment.

Had the first R cataract surgery about 7 years ago @ 55 years old and second L cataract surgery about 5 years ago @ 57 years old.

Rest those eyes and get a good night's sleep.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
One thing he did say and seemed interested in was a Baker's cyst behind the operated knee. He didn't offer any resolution though. I have no idea how much it matters, or not! @Josephine, any answers?
You should read this article Baker's cysts and other knee bursae. You will see that bursae come and go and that the popliteal bursa (Baker's cyst) is in a very scary position (scary for the surgeon that is) in what we generally call "tiger country" so in general these cysts are best left alone!
 
Thanks for that @Josephine. It's interesting. Mine causes no problems. If they should become problematical surely drainage (aspiration) would be first option?

@marmora. Gosh you had a lot of drops etc to contend with. Mine's much more straightforward with just one lot for one month (they're antibiotic). As for intra-ocular lens implant, yes I did so am looking forward to seeing through that eye without glasses! At the moment, the eye is still so dilated that I can't see anything clearly. Do you remember how long that took to go back to normal? I've got the clear shield for the first day and night, then just night time for 7 days then hopefully, nothing. Other eye being done next month! (Just as I finish drops in the first!). Is it great to be spectacle free? I can't wait! Thanks for your info it's good to know of others experiences. !!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Judlepip

Hi Judith,

I had previously had eye laser correction surgery on both eyes in 1994, so maybe that's why all the extra drops.

Although, my now 27 year old son had similar intra ocular surgery with the same eye surgeon 5 years ago, as he was not a candidate for laser surgery correction and no longer able to wear contacts and eye sight was getting progressively worse @ - 9 right eye & -10 left eye.

He was still living at home finishing college and had a similar eye drop routine.
Maybe, it's the normal follow-up that our eye surgeon prescribes.

Took a few days before the blurry vision improved.

Now, totally eye glass free and when out with my girlfriends I'm the only one who doesn't have to scramble looking for their glasses to read the menu.

No glasses needed for reading, driving - it is great !

Cathie
 
@Judlepip My routine was the same as Marmora. One drop was the antibiotic, the other an anti-inflammatory. It is amazing to see so clearly once things settle down. Sadly I had this complication and have had one round of laser treatment:
In some cases, within months to years after surgery, the thin lens capsule may become cloudy, causing blurred vision after cataract surgery. You may have the sensation that the cataract is returning because your vision is becoming blurry again. This process is termed posterior capsular opacification, or a "secondary cataract." To restore vision, a laser is used in the office to painlessly create a hole in the cloudy bag. This procedure takes only a few minutes in the office, and vision usually improves rapidly.
 
Hi @Judlepip - just wanted to know that I thought of you and your hubby today.

Hampton Court is only a couple of miles from us, and we went past as usual on our way down to the coast this morning and back this evening. It was the final day of the Concours of Elegance. All we saw were horrendous queues for car parking this morning, but this evening, hosts of the most beautiful elegant old cars were passing us on the way home. It has been glorious, so they had a lovely final day for it.
It must have been the day for cars as while I was in Lymington there was lots and lots of Australians. Evidently there was an event at Beaulieu too, it was the International Autojumble that they had come over specially to see. Our normal route home is through Beaulieu, so we gave it a wide berth today to avoid the traffic queues.

Well done you with the cataract op. Mum wimped out and has postponed hers until October.

Talk soon

XXXX
 
@Judlepip Judith
@Chihuahuan

Hello,

Didn't want to mention the "possible complication" to Judith, just yet.

But like @Chihuahuan, I had to have the zag laser on my left eye in July 2013.
Done in a side room in the doctors office and home within 90 minutes.

Great results and if I should need it for the right eye no problem .

Judith, you may never need this simple and painless after procedure, but you now know to BoneSmarters who have had it with no problems.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Judlepip Sorry if I jumped the gun re my complication. Thankfully it is one that can be easily solved. I always look up such things prior to any procedure so I'm prepared if anything "weird" occurs. It's the scientist in me :heehee:
 
@Chihuahuan & @Judlepip
I also do research before every procedure it's the the former nurse and then science teacher in me. :heehee:

My eye surgeon also told me of this 'possibility' at my initial consultation, so was aware.
He was also the one who performed by eye laser surgery correction in 1994.

Cathie
 
@marmora @Chihuahuan - One further query for you both; since the op, everything seems so much smaller! (not my lumpy body unfortunately!!) I did ask the clinic, but they'd not heard of it. I've also searched on google, but nothing relevant. Any ideas? When they brought me a cuppa in the waiting room immediately after surgery, I commented to my husband on the smallness of the cup, which was apparently normal size! Now everything's tiny! :SUNsmile: I'm sure I can adjust, I just wondered why.
 
@Judlepip I remember sizes of things being different than they were before but I don't know if it was larger or smaller. It's just a matter of the brain adjusting. It gets better once both eyes are done. I found that our living room seemed to be longer! J
 
Judith @Judlepip
@Chihuahuan

Don't exactly remember.

But, as I had previous laser surgery, that eye was adjusted for longsighted vision.
My cataract eye intra ocular lens was adjusted for shortsighted vision.
Similar to wearing bi-vocals.

That could be why I don't remember any problems with items looking smaller or larger.

Then when I had the second cataract surgery that eye was adjusted for shortsighted vision.

Very happy with the results.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Judith @Judlepip

Hope that your vision is improving, pardon the pun - "But, haven't seen you on here in awhile".

Take care and thinking of you,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora @Chihuahuan I'm doing well thanks. It sounds as though I shall have the second one done on 28th of this month! I can't wait! It's wonderful to have one good eye, but I feel a bit skewiff with one good and one needing specs! Just out of interest, things are still 'small'! I'll ask about that when I have the next one done. I hope you're both well. How are your knees doing? I know yours will be a year in December Chihuahuan and yours, Cathie, is still quite new. How are you coping? What are your recovery threads? How do we find each other's recovery threads? I have trouble finding my own!!:chinstroke:

:happydance:Feeling good!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom