TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
for me to get on with Choose and Book, which seems to be the only way to do it.

Can you clarify. I don't know what you mean by `choose and book'. Have you considered asking the surgery to fax the referral letter to the Horder. Then you can phone the Horder Centre to check they have got it. If they haven't, phone, or better still go to the surgery to hurry them up. Once the Horder have the referral you can deal direct with them.

So sorry you are having all this hassle on top of your pain. Carol
 
Dr Skinner has much less experience in knees, seems to have done more hips.
Yes, he's not the Skinner I was speaking about at the RNOH! In fact, NONE of the surgeons at the any of the Horder clinics seem to have much experience. I'd steer well clear of them, myself. The surgeon matters more than the hospital.
Can you clarify. I don't know what you mean by `choose and book'.
You've not been introduce to C&B, Carol? My gosh!

When you are discussing a referral with your GP, s/he gives you a log-in access code with the url. You enter the url and search and get to the website. Enter access code and you get all the hospitals you can go to in your area and all the empty spots in clinics in those hospitals. So like that, you just might be lucky enough to find an appointment free the next week or even the next day! However, you are only choosing the hospital. You cannot choose your surgeon with this system.

But there is a way round it, albeit unofficial. :secret: Wait until you get the confirmation letter from the appointments and see if you've come up lucky and been referred to the chap of your choice. If not, ring his secretary and tell her how you've drawn a short straw and really wanted to see Mr X and can she fix it for you? You'll be amazed what these secretaries can do!
 
@Josephine. When a surgeon botches a case, as in mine, does it get recorded? I see all the primary and all the revisions they've done, but it doesn't tell of the mistakes!
 
I see all the primary and all the revisions they've done, but it doesn't tell of the mistakes!

Judlepip, In my experience the word `mistake' is never part of the vocabulary.

@Josephine Judlepip mentioned a `mistakes' register, is there also a a register showing how experienced each OS is in removing scar tissue - both open and keyhole? Carol
 
Hello @Chihuahuan I haven't been doing much in the way of walks as the knee/leg has been quite painful and unstable. Now I'm onto the bandage it's better, but I want to wait until I see the physio (appointment awaited) to hear his view. I do at last have a consultant date, but not until 5th Sept. However, it is with the surgeon of my choice. I've been told I can ring each week to see if there are any cancellations, so I may get seen earlier. Otherwise I fear I shall be having my next op in November :groan:. I don't much want to make it a yearly thing!! I feel happier now that I have a date. I've had to chase everyone all along this procedure. :tantrum:
 
@Judlepip Glad things are moving along. I'm sure there will be a lot of tests along the way :chinstroke: until they have it figured out.
 
@Judlepip Have you read any of the recovery stories from folks with revisions? I find Busylizzie and others inspirational. I have been pondering on what are the realities of a revision? Would you get the flexion and extension you desire? Can they straighten your leg so that the pain goes away? I hope you get good answers in September.
 
I'm moving forward! (At last!) I now have a date for a knee consultancy and the next day I have an appointment to have my cataract assessed and done! :) Yey! All in one day, sounds good to me. Sadly, both of these dates are in September! :sad: Never mind. It's started. I may yet be 'done' by Christmas.
 
Hi @Judlepip, I found your thread. How are you doing? Glad you will be getting your consultation and cataract done even though it is September before you know it, it will be right around the corner. Take care. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
When a surgeon botches a case, as in mine, does it get recorded? I see all the primary and all the revisions they've done, but it doesn't tell of the mistakes!
Judlepip mentioned a `mistakes' register, is there also a a register showing how experienced each OS is in removing scar tissue - both open and keyhole?
The National Joint Registry is a data base of joint replacements, nothing more. So it won't hold any of the information you both mention. And you can't judge by the number of revisions they've done either, especially if they done quite a few because, as we all know, those guys are probably revision specialists and get lots referred to them by other surgeons!

As for the scar tissue issue, Carol, it's really regarded as basic general surgery, much the same as dealing with torn cartilages and such.
 
@Josephine. So if a surgeon messes up an operation, it all gets 'brushed under the carpet'? How then do they keep tabs on poor or good surgeons? Good grief!
 
That is very different than here. There is a state registry of notices and lawsuits against doctors that anyone can access. Hope your Sunday is great! Take care.
 
So if a surgeon messes up an operation, it all gets 'brushed under the carpet'? How then do they keep tabs on poor or good surgeons? Good grief!
It's not a case of being brushed under the carpet which infers a deliberate cover-up of something gone amiss. But very often these are things that have just gone awry and was no-one's fault, just we're all human and humans make mistakes from time to time. There is a big difference between something unforeseen happening such as a bone breaking or an uncommon blood vessel being cut (we're not all made the same!) and something that is criminal negligence such as operating on the wrong side, limb or digit which should not be allowed to happen if all staff are following the protocols. UK citizens have always been fairly pragmatic and slow to apportion blame so there isn't the list of legal cases such as in the US where people have always been pretty litigious.

Quite apart from which, who is going to judge that he has 'messed up an operation'? He's the senior person in the team. His assistants aren't going to say anything because a) they're not qualified and b) they rely on him for their training. The theatre nurses can't because they're not surgeons and anyone below that rank wouldn't know anyway.

I got myself into a spot once because of an incompetent locum registrar who had been sent up to theatre by the consultant do a very minor case but it was patently obvious to me that he was totally incompetent so I stopped the operation and tried to call the consultant, then the senior registrar, then my boss, then the hospital administrator - everyone was at lunch and not answering! So we had this young girl on the table, under anaesthetic, waiting for someone to come and adjudicate. Eventually the senior registrar turned up but he was too woolly to be specific, then the consultant came and listened to me and the registrar and eventually sent the sen reg to go and finish the case.

I was then told by another consultant that I could be in serious trouble if that registrar decided to complain. He could take me to court and get damages for slander because I wasn't a surgeon and therefore not qualified to make such a call. But then the hospital admin came up and thanked me for being so courageous and told me that the consultant had gone straight down to his office and instructed him to get rid of the locum immediately! So at least was confident in my opinion.

Some weeks later I heard that a similar thing had happened at a neighbouring hospital and that he had actually been found to not have any medical qualifications whatsoever! But the second consultant was perfectly correct _ as I knew when I took the action. It wasn't my job to make that decision but the people whose job it was, shouldn't have sent him to do a case solo anyway. It was they who were at fault.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm certainly not into apportioning blame and my slant on it has always been "he didn't do it intentionally". What good would it do to sue anyway, they'd be taking money from the NHS which, in my opinion, does a wonderful job on very little money. I wouldn't take from that. I do, however, feel that poor surgery ought to be recorded somewhere.

Sounds as though you acted bravely, but correctly. Thank goodness you were proved right. Could have turned out differently. Phew! Well done.
 
Hi Judith, I've left a few messages for you here and there and replied to your PM, but you seem to appear and disappear. How's your pain currently and did you get a date for a second opinion? Carol
 
Hi @patient 99 Sorry if I've been difficult to catch. Thanks for your interest. I do now have an appointment, not until 5th September unfortunately, but at least its with a surgeon of my choice. When/if I have to go in for surgery I'll let you know. I'd like to meet, it would be fun (although I don't think I'll be in fun mode!!) I'll post the surgeon's view once I'm seen. The following day I have my cataract surgery! It's all happening that week! :flabber:

How are you doing? Having had a quick catch up on your thread, I have come to the conclusion you're all quite mad over there!!! Not really possible to catch up, but I will try to follow it in future. I have no idea at the moment what you're all talking about! Alligators in the chocolate! I WILL catch up!! I can see I've been missing something good!! :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom