TKR Judlepip has Turned a Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day! I'm feeling better! I managed to get hold of my physio from the early months and he says - I can walk! So, absolutely delighted - I did! I've just completed 6 + miles! Yes, it's swollen, yes, it's painful, but it's not unbearable - I'm icing and elevating and I feel WONDERFUL, just 'cos I can walk!

What he said was better to walk than not. Not to have weeks of inactivity when the muscles'll weaken. Makes sense to me! Yeh!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear you can walk (6 miles is a lot for the just starting to walk), sounds like you #odic. Glad you are icing and elevating, do not forget to rest.
 
Yes, @pumpkin, but that's what I do (used to do) I'm a walker. Resting, still icing, feeling great! He (physio) just took away the ten years of my life I'd gained! I'm no longer in my 80s!
 
Good day @Chihuahuan. Thanks. I still feel really great today, just having permission to walk turned a corner for me. I was stiff, but not just knee; hips and back too! However all's well today and I feel I could do another 7 miles, but decided to be sensible and take a day off!

How are you? By the by, I keep meaning to ask you - what is a Stryker triathlon?! Sounds very athletic!
 
@Judlepip Glad that all is well. There is such a huge emotional/brain component to this recovery. Just keep on walking --smart to have a days rest in between.
A Stryker Triathlon is just what my OS uses…he has had good success with it. https://stryker.com/en-us/products/Orthopaedics/KneeReplacement/Primary/Triathlon/index.htm
broken link removed: https://literature.ortho.stryker.com/files/LTKF_SS.pdf

My other TKR--a DuPuy designed for women-- has a little too much movement in it and the knee cap is now too close to the implant. It's fine if I don't kneel or let it over rotate.
 
Well, I have had to accept that my knee is no longer on the path to recovery, but merely waiting until the botched knee replacement can be rectified. Not a good place to be, mentally or physically. :(



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you are able to find answers, hard place to be for those of us who end up needing revisions.
Wishing you all the best, sending prayers your way.
 
I'm frustrated with wearing the 'same old, same old' - loose fitting elastic pull on trousers. To feel like the old me I want to be back in my old straight jeans and also some new ones I bought, but don't wear yet as they're too tight over the knee. All my usually trousers are tight over the replaced knee. Anyone else have this problem and - what to do, how long to wait? I feel like an old lady (OK, I am one, but don't want to FEEL one!!)
I'm about ready to tie dye mine, or stud them, or ANYTHING!!! And the TED hose add just the right amount of fashion punch too....
 
Well, Laurie. Thanks for reminding me, at least my knee is not much swollen these days. However I've put on so much weight through lack of exercise, that nothing nice fits me now anyway! Just can't wait to get it fixed now, so that I can move on.

Chris, (@Pumpkln). Why did you need revision and how did it go? I'm sorry I hadn't realised you'd been through that. I'd be very interested to know the details if you wouldn't mind telling me.
 
What tells you it is a "botched knee" in need of revision? Just wondering how you can tell that?
 
Good morning all. Sun's shining, all's well with the world (if only!). Anyone remember how we used to say that in (my) youth! I suppose all was NOT well with the world even then,we just didn't know it!
@hopefaith - in answer to your query; once the swelling had subsided I noticed the leg was crooked and posted it on here for an opinion. Josephine asked to see a photo of the leg in the stance she needed in order to tell. Once posted, Josephine then 'measured' it against a ... grid (?) showing the line from femur to ankle joint, which showed what she called "a serious malalignment". She advised a second opinion and I've been in the throes of getting that ever since. My GP unfortunately dismissed it so I lost a lot of time, my other GP has belatedly taken it seriously and will refer me on. In the meantime I arranged to see the OS who did the job in the first place. Am waiting for that appointment (next week). Over here, we're mainly reliant on our GPs to refer us appropriately.
 
Why did you need revision and how did it go?
I had a flexion instability, caused by my stretching out my lateral knee ligaments about six weeks after my TKR. I had a near miss fall, and knew I had hurt myself badly. Boy I had no idea how badly.
Revision was at about 2 1/2 years after TKR. I am better every week, but am on the very slow train to recovery. Two week ago I was using my walker in the house a lot, now not at all, now that is progress!
Thanks for asking, wishing you all the best in your search for answers.
 
That sounds complicated @pumpkin. I hope all is ok with you now. Must be a great feeling to be able to ditch the walker! Well done!

@Josephine. Thanks for pointers. I'm tending toward Dr A B-M. His profile looks good as far as I can tell. Dr Skinner has much less experience in knees, seems to have done more hips.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Judlepip, just flash read your thread. What a shame. You seemed to be doing well in the early days. Can you just bring me up to date. Am I right in thinking you now have a second opinion with an OS arranged? How's the level of pain currently? Carol
 
Hi Carol. I am in the throes of arranged to see another OS at the Horder Centre. Unfortunately, my surgery seems to be very lax in sending me the necessary details for me to get on with Choose and Book, which seems to be the only way to do it. I've seen my GP who agreed to it and said her secretary would send the necessary details. I've since phoned the surgery, but still nothing doing! More frustration! Pain level is fairly high at the moment, in fact it seems to be worsening, but that may be my imagination!
 
I sometimes think the mental distress of getting no where can increase the perception of pain.
Your response is normal. Hope you get some answers soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom