Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly, I got it all backwards! Sorry, I didn't remember. We have four boys, given up on a baby girl, but have a very nice teenage girl step grand daughter.

Thanks Kathy!
 
Janet, this is the machine that some on Bonesmart have said those with knee replacements shouldn't use. My physical therapist had me use it with a very light weight--ten pounds--to stretch the tendon over my new knee. I pull up and the use the TKR knee to slowly let the weight down. I do forty reps with a break after twenty. I think it's good for the knee. Also so about twenty minutes on the stationary bike.

What exercises are you doing? Are they helping?
 
Juniper, i don't recall reading anything here against using it, but i'm sure that's true. My pt had me use it during rehab, when i was 3 or 4 months post op, but i remember having to back off of it for a while. My OS recommended my using weight machines for my legs when I saw him at my one year visit, so I assume this is what he meant. I'll soon be at the 18 month mark now. I've just started with 50 pounds, two sets of 10 reps. I'm taking it slow, leaving 2 or 3 days between to see if i get sore, if it bothers my knees at all, or it makes me feel stronger. Thus far, i'm going with stronger, and time will tell if that makes me more comfortable. I am well past the healing and recovery stage, although i could still show improvement, I suppose. I do believe this type of thing early on in recovery could be detrimental. I'm still walking and stretching in the pool, and that's always a good thing!
 
Marianne, thanks, it is so nice to have a baby around again, and it's likely the last! Jenny took him out for a walk today and had him all bundled up - looked like a little eskimo!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-4178718720.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 198
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Janet2012, this grandchild of yours takes some of the cutest pictures I've ever seen---maybe you should consider a publishing a book of his pics.
 
Oh my gosh he is so cute!!!! My daughter wanted a pram suit type thing for walks early morning or evening. I bought one but not sure is it will be warm enough. Long Beach has very mild winters but we don't want BABY getting cold! Also she told me to stop buying hats! He's not born yet and has 5. :tada:
 
Judy, I'm "publishing" them here, it seems!

Marianne, can a baby have too many hats? I just bought another for Lucas, not that any of them will stay on for long. I love this one in the picture, so cute. But mind you, it was probably 60 degrees out, poor sweating baby!
 
We do tend to think babies need to be bundled up when in truth they're just as warm or cool as we are.
 
Babysitting for Lucas this week, I've noticed how easy it is now to sit on the floor, even with a knee bent under the other leg. I barely think about it. Great! At the same time, I still have that right knee that seems to have consistent low level inflammation. My left knee, which I don't even notice most of the time, has been sounding a little crunchy, so I'm not sure where that's going. Soon to be 18 months, not sure if I'm there yet or not.
 
Hard to believe, but the long awaited for 18 month mark is today! I had the baby today, and was easily able to get up from the chair with both hands holding him. Can't ask for much more than that!
 
Janet2012 Janet I've missed some of your posts it seems. I love little Lucas in that hat, he is so adorable!

Congratulations on your 18 months anniversary! I find it easier getting up from a sitting position also. Sometimes better than others, but that's because of the hips and lower back and not the knees. Getting on the floor is an other matter however, yay you! :yay:
 
Janet, it is great to see how well you are doing at 18 months! I know you are loving having two knees that preform every time without pain. Oh and Lucas is as cute as he can be. Enjoy every minute of him!

Our youngest grandchild just turned one and my youngest daughter just told us that grandbaby #5 is coming in May! Thant will be 5 under the age of 5. This is why I got my knee done when I had only 2 grandkids! We have 3 boys and one girl and will find out soon what this baby will be.
 
Janet, we all can't get together till the weekend after Christmas. I can't wait to see the faces on them when they all are opening their presents. I sent my daughter a picture of the presents under the tree and her daughter wanted to come to Nonna's today!

I hope I have the strength to last all weekend. I have been diagnosed with vasculitis due to Lupus and the meds are taking all my energy. Just when my knee was in tip top shape, I got hit with this.:hairpulling:

I know you will enjoy your new little guy and have a wonderful Christmas!
 
Nineteen months and it's still a work in progress. My right knee is always the one. Inclined to inflammation, opinionated as to certain motions. Now it feels like something is getting pinched when I straighten it out. Maybe it is. If it doesn't clear up, maybe I need to check in with the OS at some point. Something might need cleaning up.
 
Oh dear, 19 months already! I certainly know what you mean by "a work in progress" I get the same feeling only mine is the left knee. That's the knee I fell hard on a couple of years before I had my BTKR, it has a bruised look to it ever since, and a lot of soft tissue. Every now and then I'll get a pinching sensation right in that area. Hopefully you won't need to have a clean up. Let's hope it will quiet down on its own. How long have you had the pinching sensation?
 
Hi Jacky - the pinching, or feeling of an impingement, just started yesterday, so it's too early to tell if it's going to be an issue. Hope not, but it is today! Like your's that's the knee that had the worst issues before surgery. Nineteen months, we're now heading to the next big calendar milestone of 2 years!
 
It's been a month since I've weighed in on my knees. I've been thinking that I haven't been thinking about them all that much lately. That tricky right knee seems to have settled down. I don't get any pain on sitting or rising. I stopped taking Celebrex before Thanksgiving, wondering if it had a rebound effect on inflammation, and I believe that to be true for me. I occasionally take acetaminophen as an afterthought. I haven't been very active, I've been staying home with all the bitter cold and snowy weather, and caring for baby Lucas three days a week. Maybe my knees have just stayed in the background because they've had such a break. We'll be going to Florida next month, so that may tell another story, but this is the story today! Making a record for myself here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom