Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to find a specialized massage. Usually when I get a massage, they don't touch my knees. Maybe I should call my PT.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Janet, thanks for the update. It is beautifully said - covers soooo much of the journey and the support of our friends and leaders (who are also friends) in this group. :type::reading: The humor definitely helps too. :heehee::rotfl:

NightQuilter, thanks for the information about massage for the knee. We have a good massage school here in Asheville (NC). I know they are still learning, but it would still be good.
 
Becky - seems like a great option. And if you don't know any of their terminology, start with asking someone about lymphatic massage or shiatsu. Or someone versed in reducing subdural scar tissue....
 
I haven't taken any anti inflammatories in a long time. I took some Aleve yesterday for something else. What a difference, in my knees, too!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Great to hear from you Janet! Sounds as if life is as it should be! I often have a massage and even in the early days I felt that I walked easier after my knees had been 'worked ' on. At the beginning she didn't massage very deeply but now she says she can get right in there as well as the other knee and no, she doesn't feel any metalwork ...I asked!!
 
I am receiving a weekly massage with a massage therapist with extensive training in Aston Kinetics, today we worked on an old knee injury scar. I now have less snapping over my hardware. And the rest of me feels great too.
Finding a massage therapist with advanced training in one of the many forms out there is the best way receive a massage that will be gentle and effective.
Great to see you all here, thanks for updating.
 
I so agree @Pumpkln - it made all the difference in the world in my recovery - so much so that my OS now recommends shiatsu or lymphatic drainage to his patients! I am delighted you are having such success with it.
 
Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice! One needs to know what even to ask for when looking for a massage therapist with the needed training. I don't even know what to google. I've had lymphatic drainage, but that addresses a different issue.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Janet ~ Just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU! for all the support you've given me before, during, and after my surgery. It's been just over a year since my BTKR and I'm doing great (except for one little bad thing that I did). Soon I'm getting a new laptop and will be able to check in on the forum more often. From reading a few of the posts here, I can see that you are doing really well. Wish I could help regarding info. for a massage therapist. Now that you are taking about it, I think it would be a very good idea for me to look for one myself.

Thanks again!! ~~ Lizzie
 
@Janet2012 Do you have a Massage Envy near you? Apparently they are a chain with over 900 locations nationwide. They offer all kinds of massage EXCEPT they don't list lymphatic massage. Their website is a good source of information on the various types of massage, at least the ones that they offer. Just click on the Massage tab at the top of their home page and scroll down. Their website is:

www.massageenvy.com/
 
We have one just down the street from here. I would have never thought of them as a place for serious massage, but why not? I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
The complaint about Massage Envy I have heard, is that once you find someone you like, they leave, and then have to find someone else.
They are a good place to get a reasonably priced massage.
 
I have a couple of places to check out as well, starting with my PT. She seemed to have some massage tricks up her sleeve.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I went to an event this weekend where I spent several hours sitting in grandstands, with no ability to easily stretch my legs out, mostly sitting forward with my knees bent under me. I went to this same event one year ago. A year ago it was a problem, and I had to find a way to stretch my legs out as my knees couldn't stay bent like that for long periods. This year my knees handled it just fine. So there is an example of where I was at at one year, and the improvement that can still be had after that, now at two years!

The event is the motor muster at Greenfield Village, held every year on Father's day weekend. Hundreds of classic cars in every category, from the 1930's through the 1970's, parked on the acres of grounds, to walk through and see up close. They also parade through the grandstands by year, with car experts talking about each specific car, which is like getting a guided tour, so interesting! I love Greenfield Village, but I had to stop going because of how big it is, just couldn't do the walking before my knee replacements!
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Looks like a wonderful event I love seeing the old cars. Glad you can go with out having to think of your knees.
We have Hot August Nights in August, great fun to see the old cars driving around town, and at the show and shines.
 
@Janet2012 There is a similar gathering of all these old classics in the Chicago area. One of my wife's relatives is into these cars and always sends me loads of pictures he takes. '55 and '57 Chevy's were always two of my favorites. I don't know how or why the messed up the '56 (so boxy), but of course that was the one I owned for a while. If I remember correctly, the gas cap was behind one of the taillights.
 
They demonstrated the gas cap under the tail light on one of the cars! Hubby thinks it was a Cadillac. We have the Woodward Dream Cruise, which is a street drive. The motor muster is more comprehensive, including vehicles back to the 30's, including commercial and military vehicles. They even have a section for bicycles. Fun stuff!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Mackinac Island Michigan, 7 mile bike ride on a beach cruiser in an hour, feel no worse for the wear tonight. Love it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom