Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! It's rewarding to be able to stand up from a rocking chair with both hands on the baby rather than the chair arms! Today is 15 months since surgery. I've taken most of the summer off from organized exercise, giving everything a rest (probably too much so). It will be interesting to see where everything stands when I start becoming more active. I'm signed up for a Zumba Gold class that starts next week.
 
bottomshollow Judy, I haven't been able to find your thread all summer it seems, but have been wondering how your husband has been doing? I thought I'd try asking here rather than on someone else's thread. I hope he is continuing to progress. I think he was just starting to take some steps with his walker when I last saw an update.
 
Janet2012, this was my last post in Paul's Chugging Down the Tract to Recovery thread.​
​
"We have finished with outpatient rehab. Paul can walk about 200 feet at the most before he needs to sit down. His balance problem has become slightly worse, which the neurosurgeon told us it would with age. Because of that he will probably never walk any great distances. But he is able to get on the riding mower and mow grass. With help getting into his truck, he can drive. He still needs help with personal hygiene and dressing. But overall, things are better than they were before surgery.​
He'll be having cataract surgery sometime early next year. I will be having mine first---hopefully in the next month or so. Have an appointment with the eye surgeon the 23rd of this month. He is also having trouble with his right hand---got a shot in the palm about a month ago which has helped. But it makes it hard to use the walker sometimes. Getting old is tough, but it's much harder on someone with neurological deficits----things just seem to deteriorate a bit faster once they start to go.​
The overall outcome is not as good as we had both hoped it would be. But without the surgery, Paul probably would be wheelchair bound. So we count the blessings we have and enjoy what we are able to do." ​
​
He was able to get his driver's license renewed for another 5 years just last week. He was required to take the road test. I did have to help him into his truck, but he can drive just fine and get out on his own. But he is never going to be totally independent again; he will always need assistance with some things. We've accepted the reality of things and overall life is good! I will be having my first cataract surgery on the 19th and the second about three weeks later (a Medicare requirement). I'm looking forward to being able to throw my glasses away.​
​
I've enjoyed your posts about all your trips and the new grandbaby. I'm so happy for you that having the bilats has been such a success for you. I love mine!​
 
Thanks for sharing the update! It sounds like this is a situation where when faced with the glass of expectations, rather than looking at it as half full vs. half empty, you'll be better served with a smaller full glass. He's certainly come a ways. I wish you both the best!
 
I'm just back from a conference/getaway. We did a lot of walking and a lot of steps on Friday, and my knees hurt! I wore my Orthaheel sandals which are comfortable for my feet, but they have a very firm footbed. As soon as I switched to my tennis shoes, my knees stopped hurting! All that cement was too much. I am surprised at the difference, and a little disappointed, but lesson learned and now I know better! Coming up to 16 months, I am seeing that these knees will always need to be shown the proper care and respect.
 
Yes, pavement seems to be the hardest to walk on. I did a four mile hike on Saturday and I only began to get stiff when walking on a paved road.

Its good to see you going strong. Keep it up!
 
bottomshollow how old is Paul? Is he your husband? I am so behind on everyone!
Also Janet2012 it would be an interesting topic.....shoes! What feels best on most knee patient's feet a year or so post op. I've tried my Dansko clogs/well clog haha(other leg in boot) and it has felt awful, even just standing there. No flex in them at all. I bought the athletic shoes from Walking Co that are supposed to be for knee patients and really like them. Sure curious what others have good luck with for a non-athletic shoe.
 
Brownie51, Paul is my husband and just recently turned 70. I have had my cataract surgeries and am no longer wearing glasses-----I love it! However, there is this old woman peering back at me in the bathroom mirror---wonder where she came from!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Sorry couldn't resist. I think the same every time I look in the mirror :)
 
Thanks Neil. I've been on vacation too much and am trying to get back on track with some semblance of routine. I rejoined the gym yesterday, as my OS said i might benefit from using weight equipment for my knees. I thought I was pushing it after so long away from that sort of thing, but I guess not, because my legs aren't sore today at all. If they aren't tomorrow, i'll go back Friday. I'm glad to hear you are still out there walking! I'll go check your blog...

Marianne, I'll have to check on those shoes! How are you doing? I have to go find your thread...

Judy, how wonderful you have sight without glasses! It sounds like all your reconditioning and maintenance is done and up to date. Hope to see more of you.

We took a nice family picture on Saturday, our first family gathering here since the baby was born. We also took a silly one for the kids. The baby is in there somewhere!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-222776314.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 187
Janet2012 your family (and home!) is beautiful! I think I saw a tiny hand in there but there was also a teddy bear leg over on the left. You could sure use that photo for a Christmas card!
Good for you going to the gym! I love reading about progress!
xoxox Marianne
 
Thank you! He's actually on the right, being held by mommy. You can see half his face in profile. In the "nice" photo, you can see his legs, too.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-648218795.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 175
bottomshollow Your hubby is young. That's too bad about his issues, he should be out having fun at this age. I'm so sorry he is having troubles.
Oh that's great you can see now but I sure know what you mean. I get scared if I walk into my bathroom with my glasses on. Who the Heck is THAT in the mirror? Ignorance is bliss in this case. I thought I had escaped having crows feet but then I put on my glasses. I have crows feet all over my face!
The DMV just gave my Dad a 5 year drivers renewal to the year 2018. He turns 96 in November. We were thinking he would have to take a driving test but they just gave him the written test. He thought it was pretty funny.
 
Marianne, i just got caught up on your thread. A long road, but you're getting there! AND you are expecting a grand-baby in less than a month! How exciting! Lucas was almost three weeks early. That's something to look forward to! I stopped over and saw the baby today on my way home from shopping. It's the first time he's cooed and smiled at me!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-4193519372.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 183
I did go back to the gym Friday. What do you call the machines that you pull down and push up with the ankles? Yeah, those machines, that's what i did.
 
Janet, that is a hamstring press if I am not mistaken!! My daughter is having a baby in January.
 
How exciting! This is your first, isn't it? Is your daughter nearby? I'll have to look at what they call those machines, but that sounds right. At PT, it was a single machine, but at the gym there are two separate machines, one for pulling down, one for pushing up.
 
I have three granddaughters from my son but this is my first grandson!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom