Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janet, I find myself in the same situation - just not thinking about the knees because they are doing so well. I've done a couple of rather significant hikes with no effect at all on the knees (lungs perhaps!) and feel fully confident in them. Sounds like you are in a good place - and may that continue! You've worked so hard to get to this even keel.:yay:
 
That's very good to hear, Janet. Really really good that you have done so well. Your story is good and I love it :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks everyone, it's not a bad place to be. You know, I do find myself thinking back to where I was at before surgery, and it's almost hard to believe that I was ever in such bad shape, so much pain, so many things I could no longer do. It's like that was some other person. I like this person better!
 
Yay Janet! It is wonderful to hear how well you are doing and enjoying life with so much less pain. I too am loving those things now in my life... Simple things like walking through the grocery store and going home not hurting are such a gift after what life b4 pkr was like. ((((hugs)))) to you
 
It's been long enough since surgery that post surgery firsts are now seconds. I just got back again from a month in Florida, and in another month will be going back again to Utah with my daughter. Nothing to prove this time, it's just enjoying the life I can have now! Almost to my two year anniversary, I'll be back...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Congratualtions, Janet. I'm at nearly 2 1/2 years. Not as pain free as you seem to be, but much more secure with this new knee. I can count on it to work, but it still gets very stiff if I stand on it for more than a half hour. A new normal.
 
Great to hear from you. So happy that you are living the life you knew you could with the new knees! Makes anything you have to go through to get to this point, more than worth it! :flwrysmile:
 
It is worth it! I'm not totally pain free, in that my right knee always "feels". They are both most comfortable when I'm walking, and I can walk all day!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Janet ~ I haven't checked in with the boards here in ages! Funny how time flies, lives get busy and things get put on the back burner. Your trips sound wonderful! This winter really did a number on me --- I thought it would not end. Two days ago it was 80 degrees and it snowed this morning - go figure. Both of my knees are so much improved since the surgery that I don't think about them at all until I try to get down on the floor :rotfl: It's the getting up and down from the floor that's tricky. I will try to post an update on my thread soon. My son commandeered my tablet and my laptop is so old it hardly works, so I need to pick up something that will allow me to get back online regularly. Thanks for keeping us posted!
 
Here I am, it's been two years today since I had my BTKR! I remember so well those first days, the weeks of preparation leading up to it, and the months of recovery following surgery. For all the pre surgery anxiety, post surgery painful moments, medication roulette, and time slowwiing doowwwnnnnn while waiting with (sometimes scarce) patience to make all the post surgery milestones of recovery... I remember this as a really good time in my life! Thanks to Bonesmart, I felt as prepared as possible. I was really happy to know I was changing the trajectory of my future, and because I could see that future, even as I lay in my recovery bed, I felt younger already. The very best thing was the support and friendship I felt here on Bonesmart, and the sense of humor of those here with me that saw me through what could have been long lonely days of elevating and icing. You all know who you are, even if you've moved on and aren't going to see this. A special shout out to Jackie, my recovery buddy! A sense of humor is essential, and laughter really is the best medicine! Thank you, all of you!

So how am I doing today? Good, really good, but it's not perfect. It's the best thing I could have done, it has allowed me to do more than I imagined (hiking in Utah?!). I have a 20+ pound 9 month old grandson that I get to watch two days a week, and I can get out of a chair and climb the stairs with him safely in both my arms. I can walk all day long with no pain at all. But they do stiffen up, and at this point, I suppose they always will. My left knee, Elmo, doesn't get much thought. My right knee, Cookie Monster, often feels like something is causing a low level of constant inflammation. Catching, pinching, achey at night depending on how I'm laying.. I might have a chat with the doc about it sometime. Maybe something needs tweeking (or twirking might do it!), or maybe not, and I'll still be doing just fine. My personal recovery time I figured would be 18-24 months. So here I am, 24 months, and I can't believe time has gone so fast! This was life changing and so very worth it! I think I'll go back and read through my pre and post surgery threads again, when I'm not too busy getting on with a normal, active life!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
OMG Janet you are my best BTKR Buddy! When we were going through this two years ago you had me laughing so much I had tears in my eyes! Yes we were drugged up, but hell you were funny and kept me laughing and kept me on the positive side of thinking! I remember how you had to go through the breast cancer scare just before your BTKR, and man I was so hoping everything went well so you could get your BTKR! Thank god it did, just in the nick of time! You my friend are my heroine! Stay strong and stay well my friend!
 
Congratulations Janet! What an uplifting message. You both were so instrumental in my journey as well. Laughter truly is the best medicine.

I learned something today which might relate to Cookie Monster from my really awesome, educated massage therapist. I had a massage today (my first since just post-surgery) and even though my knees feel great (except for the occasional aches and pains you mention), she said she felt some build-up above and on the inside of the knees that she worked on. Scar tissue apparently continues to grow and causes inflammation and tightening. Not to the level we were concerned about at the beginning for adhesions, but when there has been trauma, the body keeps on making it. Her example was some studies of people who had stomach surgeries and years later finding scar tissue in the chest! You might consider finding a good therapist and see if some work releases some of the aches it gives you. Just a thought ... for all of us to keep in mind.
 
That could account for it. It feels tight and achy in spots it didn't before. Even Elmo, the good knee, has been sounding like velcro ripping on standing and sitting. They aren't bad, but could they be better is the question. Without a whole heck of a lot of to do?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Checking it out would be easy - and feel good, if you get a whole massage!:cool: Probably best to find someone with some physiology knowledge as opposed to the standard day spa type-basic massage. I must say my knees felt easier this morning, though I know I have more work to do on them.:dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom