Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! One year today! I have thought about this milestone for More than a year. I'm not sure I'm where I hoped I would be, because of the temperament of Cookie Monster (right knee). But then again, from the start I've considered this an 18-24 month recovery for me, so I'm not there yet, am I? On the other hand, I have been able to have an activity level that I could only have dreamed about before surgery! The hiking in Utah in April was really a pivotal point in testing myself and doing more than I would have thought I could. I'm not getting back to my former level of activity, I'm breaking new ground! And there are still smaller accomplishments coming, I know. I mentioned new ones a couple of weeks ago, particularly my ability to get up off the floor without needing to put my knee down on the floor or holding on to furniture. A combination of getting stronger and having lost more than 30 pounds since surgery, I'm sure. To be Able to do that makes me feel more confident about my general abilities, as little a thing as it is. I still pull out the frozen peas on occasion, and last week was just misery with the unstable weather all week, but I've heard that can go away after a couple of years. I suppose as long as my knees are prone to some swelling, that will remain a problem. But unless I say something, no one would ever know I had bad knees, much less bilateral total knee replacements! I walk as much as I want, I have a normal gait with a little spring to my step, I have had no need for a cane, I have retired my handicap parking placard!

I can NOT overstate how important Bonesmart and the Smarties have been to me and this whole process over the last 15 months since the day I found and joined the forum! And even today, where else can I go with the random good and bad days and have an Understanding ear? I am thankful for Bonesmart, thankful for my new knees, thankful for my surgeon, thankful for my husband who was there to take care of me and allow me to fully follow the Bonesmart mantra in my recuperation. BTKR, the BEST thing I've done in the last 35 years! I hesitate to thank people personally here on Bonesmart for the information, inspiration and support I've received because there are so many, and I would surely be constantly coming back and editing to add someone else I've remembered! But I will send a shout out of special thanks to Josephine Orthodoc Jacky48 bottomshollow for getting me through this major surgery, especially! Thanks everyone!
 
Janet, that's so terrific to hear! Thank you for the accolade. I can't tell you how delighted I am that you are so delighted with your new knees. That's what I call a really good outcome!

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post to this new member who is shortly having a bilat TKR and is naturally rather scared. Having BTKR on June 10th 2013 HELP! I'm sure she would appreciate it.
 
Great report Janet! HAPPY (1) YEAR ANNIVERSARY! And, congratulation on all your "I'm breaking new ground!" milestones my friend! And, a big congatulations on that weight loss, WooHoo!

I can't wait to see what the next recovery year has instore for us my BLTR buddy!:yay:
 
Jacky and Janet, you both have come through your first year with fantastic success! :yay: I have marvaled at how you both handled anything that came your way from day one. With the trips you both have taken, you are proof that BTKR can be a good experience. It was so nice to see how you both supported each other on your journey. :friends: I have enjoyed checking in on both of your forum posts to see how you are doing. I have loved the HUMOR you have brought to the Bonesmart forum. :loll:

Best wishes to you both for continued success and good health in the years to come.:cheers:
 
Janet,
What a wonderful outcome your have had. Congrats on the one year anniversary. It gets nothing but better from here. You definitely had the right spirit thru your adventure and I for one loo forward to keep hearing from you and you continue to succeed.
 
Hurray! I had my one year check up with my surgeon today. I asked if he could measure my ROM, since it hadn't been measured since PT 4 months out, and it was 120 then. He did, and both knees were 135! I hoped to get to 130, secretly wished to get to 135, but thought I'd end up in the 120's, so I'm thrilled! It's more than I need, but I'm happy to have it. That left knee, I thought it would be stuck at 90 forever way back when!

He said they can still improve as far as stiffness, and thought I might feel better if I did some strength exercises on machines, with someone to guide me to start. Guess I have to reactivate my fitness center membership. But all in all, he thought I was doing better than I had any right to expect. Call if I need him, come back in 4 years.

Oh, and when I was pointing out how one knee was less perfect than the other (typical) he said it seems to be the young women that are less satisfied with the results. I said Thanks! "But maybe you weren't actually including me in that category, just letting me know..!" Bless him, he said I was just a kid. He must have a REALLY old clientele!

And I showed him one of my hiking photos, he was impressed!
 
Janet,

I am glad you are doing so well. It is hard to believe that it has been a year already. Both of us had joined Bonesmart around the same time and I still remember our conversations (posts) and some of your struggles before your surgery. I am happy that I could help you during this time.

I agree with you that Bonesmart is a great place for "information, inspiration and support."

It is always nice to find out how patients are doing long term with their joint replacements. There is some controversy in the orthopaedic community concerning the necessity of long term follow up (past a year) for joint replacement patients. I personally like ongoing visits with my patients past the year. Not only does it give me surveillance for any early problems, but I like to hear these type of stories ongoing...

Orthodoc
 
Hi Janet – I haven’t posted here in quite awhile but I come back often to check on everyone to see how they’re doing. Congrats on your one year anniversary! You’ve done so well, I’m very happy for you. I had both knees replaced not too long before you – 2/6 & 5/31/12. I just had my one year check up too and my doctor and I are both very happy with the results. It’s great being able to go wherever I want and not have to worry if there’s stairs or how far I’ll have to walk. Hubby’s not so happy with me back in the stores, the charge cards have taken a bit of a hit. :)
 
Yesterday, the subject came up and Daniel asked how the doctor put my new knees in. I told him he made a cut, took out the bad bone, put in new parts and then glued it closed with ... (I wasn't sure he knew what super glue was, but daddy uses a lot of Gorilla brand glue, so I said..) gorilla glue. He looked at me, paused, and then corrected me, saying slowly "people glue"! He was correct again!
 
Hi Janet,
Congratulations on your one-year progress! Long may improvements continue.

I'm about 6 months ahead of you and I am still finding little things that my knee can do now, which it couldn't before.

Caryl
 
Great report with your doc at your one year check up Janet! :yay: Gotta love those numbers! :thumb:

Your little Daniel is always on the ball, isn't he, what a cutie! :)
 
Janet, your story is so inspiring to me right now---just home one day from hospital. Gosh to go for a walk? To squat again? I have not done that for over ten years! Right now I am not seeing it....but here in say five months or so, I hope my story is as inspiring as yours!
 
You'll be able to do all those things, too! It is so worth the recovery to gain the freedom to walk!
 
Happy Belated 1 Year Anniversary Janet. I just went to the Dr for my 1 year check up as well, although my year for the 1st knee is not until the 13th of June. This year has had some ups and downs but these knees are really coming along great. Thanks to you and all the Bone Smarties for getting me thru this recovery. Continued success to us all.
 
My darn foot hurts so much I didn't go to the pool or Tai Chi today. I made an appointment with a podiatrist for tomorrow to see what's going on. I didn't do knee surgery for this!
 
Awe Janet, I so hope your podiatrist finds an easy cure! I know what you mean about not doing BTKR for something else to take us out of the game! I certainly wish you the best tomorrow my BTKR my friend! (((HUGS)))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom