Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be afraid of heights, didn't even like going across bridges, but decided it was a mind over matter thing and just made myself get over it by practice. I do NOT like rides, however! There's a difference between standing on solid ground or in a solidly grounded building and sitting in a movable little cart on rickety looking tracks with centrifugal force trying to throw you out of the cart and the cart off the tracks! No thank you!
 
Nice to hear from you Janet!
Sounds like you are doing great, doesn't time fly?
 
I had my first dental appointment since surgery. I actually went yesterday and had him do an exam, so that if there was any work needing doing, I could arrange to do it at the same time as the cleaning. I had a suspicious spot, but it turned out to be just a little stain, so I took the Amoxicillin this morning and got my teeth shiny clean!

This evening, I'm starting a Tai-Chi class. It will be interesting to see how that works out with my new knees, whether they hold a pose or use fluid motion through a pose. I did a little bit of it several years ago, and it's surprisingly hard. But I liked it!
 
I wonder why our NHS says we do not need penicillin for any dental treatment and in USA you do.
 
Here's my theory on that, because there is no single consensus here either. Looking at the entire population of joint replacement patients taking antibiotics, as compared to the entire population of joint replacement patients not taking it, they may consider the number of people who would get infections causing problems with the implants by not taking them to be an "acceptable" risk as compared to the issue of general over usage of antibiotics in the population by having everyone use them. So, if you are one of the unlucky ones, is that acceptable? And to whom? To the insurance companies? To bacteriologists? (If such a thing exists). To you? Personally, I would want to mitigate any risk to my own implants. The government statistic takers may not.
 
Hello Janet, my hero! I just caught up with your hiking journey, and I'm in total AWE of you, dear friend!! What an incredible achievement, your new knees are definitely doing the job, arent' they. It's been years for me, since I've been able to hike or ride a bike, and just the other day I was reminiscing with my daughter, we did some major hiking, and when in Germany, almost all transportation around town, for shopping etc. was via bike. We also did bike trips with a group each year, and the last time was probably 12 years ago, as well. You and your daughter are beautiful, and your knees look lovely to me. I had such enjoyment looking at the picture, thanks so much for sharing them! :friends:
 
Oh, that Tai Chi! My thighs hurt even to press on them! I haven't done squats since PT ended, and this was like squatting and holding over and over for more than an hour! I know once it stops hurting, it will be easier next time, but Wow!
 
Thanks! Perhaps you can plan a new trip with your daughter! When and where were you in Germany? I lived in Eppstein, outside of Frankfurt, from 2003 to 2009. Maybe I should already know this!
 
I grew up in Bavaria, mostly Munich and Augsburg, my Mother is German, my Dad was Air Force. I went to German schools and lived for a while with my Aunt and Uncle, my Mom's oldest sister. They had no children, and when my husband passed away so young, they invited us to come and stay with them every Summer, and would take us on wonderful trips all around Europe. One year we spent in Austria, hiking daily to the most breath taking places, we also were in France, Italy, Spain, just about everywhere, until they got to old, and then we would just go stay with them in Germany, and do the little day trips by car or train. They were so physically active up into old age, and I appreciate it more and more, thinking - WOW - my aunt was my age, when we started coming over, and we travelled all over the place, hiking, biking, swimming, you name it! I hope I can do this soon again, the last few years, she was in Assisted Living, after my Uncle passed away, and I would fly over several times a year, to help her and visit, and my knees were killing me and held me back so much. She just passed away last year, and I just couldn't get the knees done before that, because I wanted to be ready to jump on plane, if she needed me. The time with them is one of our most precious memories.
I do look forward to traveling again, that's for sure. I've not ventured out much lately, just the beach or a car trip to the mountains, but not walking much for either. It's amazing how isolated we become, not being able to walk. I pulled back more and more from socializing, because it frustrated me so much, when others could walk through museums, shopping malls, sit in restaurants for hours, etc. I would just decline, knowing it was too much for me and I would hold them back.
Can't wait to be where you are now, time really does fly, and I now know that in time, I will get better and better!!

:flwrysmile::bicycle1:
 
Oh, I think I remember now about you growing up in Bavaria. Thanks for the reminder. Germans are enthusiastic outdoors persons, for sure! A great, healthy lifestyle! What wonderful experiences and memories you have had! No reason you can't get back to it on your own someday!
 
It's only sometimes feels that way on the left, but never on the right. Wait, wait, wait...
 
My new, post hiking in Utah, persona! (Also, my costume for Daniel's Superhero party)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-2299959260.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 142
Janet, my left knee is my slow child. I was wondering if it was just me, but seems you and Jacky have a slow one also. I does not hurt, just stiff and sometimes very uncomfortable.:sad: My right knee is right there with you at 11 months, but the left one is just 9 months. I am hoping by the time I get to a year it will be better. I am able to get around without pain, but nothing like you ( u r my 'Sheroe'). When I go up and down stairs I am holding on for dear life ( think some is a mind thing, nervous).
 
Oh, those slow children! I can't say I like stairs. It was easier to climb hills than stairs, but while I feel it, I can do them pretty much normally. Shero - I like that! Lol!
 
A lesson learned. With all the hiking around I've been doing, I have discovered the hard way that there is a big difference between a dirt path and a paved path. We walked the paved bike path back home on Monday to be in the sun as it was cold out. Came home, sat for a while and when I got up, wow, did I feel it in my knees, especially the right one! It has been sore and swollen since. Pounding the pavement is not the way to go!

I'm out near Boulder, Colorado right now, visiting a friend, and true to my word, I was able to go on a walk with the dogs! The knees didn't bother me while walking. The trail is very flat and open. I've never seen prairie dogs in an actual prairie before. The path was fenced off so the dogs could only wish!
 
Morning in Boulder. My knee is starting to feel better after Mondays pavement pounding. I'll be golfing this afternoon, enjoying the beautiful day!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-1612561729.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 119
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom