Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barb, thank you so much for your nice post! I'm so glad you found my journals and have found them informative, and hopefully encouraging! As you know, I think having the bilateral done was the best choice, at least for me. I hope you have a good experience! When will you have yours? Yes, my pre-op got a little crazy there at the end! Thank goodness all worked out and I only have scars to remind me. Where in Germany did you live? Germany is such a beautiful country and I do miss it and the friends I left behind!


Guten Morgen, Janet :)

Yes, I find you very encouraging, just what I need to read right now, when the anxiety sets in! I love that you are so straight forward, telling it like it is, but you did so well, and keep getting better and better, that's what I look forward to!

I grew up in Munich, Bavaria, and went to school in Augsburg and that area. Came back to the US (Dad was Air Force, Mom is a Kraut ...) in the early 70s and stayed here, although we went over there almost every Summer. Loved traveling before knee trouble, and hope I can again, when they are all better.

Wishing you lots of fun on your misc. travels, Bon Voyage ... and keep us posted!!

:bicycle1:
 
Bavaria, what a nice place to visit in the summers! During recovery, I thought it was important to stay positive, not gloss over it with rose colored glasses, but not whine about it either. I never suffered the post op depression that many experience, but honestly, the relief of NOT having cancer just before surgery probably helped carry me through and keep things in perspective. Anticipating surgery is much more stressful than recovery as long as you aren't trying to push the recovery process where it isn't ready to go! I'm able to do what ever I want now, or am getting there, but I still feel the stiffness and swelling on a daily basis, still get out the frozen peas occasionally, still have an achey day when the barometric pressure falls, but it isn't a big issue and I expect that to gradually improve over time. I am thinking about getting some lymphatic type massage and see if that helps, as there is a distinct difference between my two knees some days. But it's all good! What a wonderful place I'm in, knowing it just gets better and better from here!
 
A day late here to mark my 10 month anniversary. I had an exciting moment this week! I think the planets lined up just right, but when I went down stairs I didn't feel my knees At ALL! I usually still feel a little pulling or something, especially in Cookie Monster, my right knee. That was the first time I've noticed that I didn't notice anything! It's still improving all the time, and I know it's something that will someday be the norm!

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to leave in two weeks for Utah where there will be physical challenges everyday. Morning hiking the centerpiece of the day, I'll be out there doing the easier hikes, but still, 2 1/2 to 3 hours everyday! (Unless I decide to sleep in!) It's very exciting that I can even consider such a trip this year! And I realize that whatever limitations I may have, my knees are no longer one of them! It's a great motivator to tackle weight loss and build fitness and stamina as I'm heading towards the one year mark and the summer of my return!
 
Happy 10th month anniversary Janet! :yay: Yay for the planets lining up and your knees complying, it's a wonderful thing my BTKR buddy! :) Who knew 10 months ago that you would feel this good 10 months later! :shrug: You jumped into the pool of chance and you won! You grabbed that brass ring on the merry go round of life, and it all paid off! :yahoo: All these wonderful pain free vacations to look forward too! Congratulations on all your hard work my friend! :friends:
 
Janet, Congrats on the 10 month anniversary. You are a real trooper with all you have challenged yourself with this year and you are conquering all your trials and that is wonderful. Have a great Utah trip.
 
Janet Just finished reading your pre-op and post op threads. THANK YOU so much for sharing with us. :thankyou: It is so reassuring to know that when recovery ends there is a whole new world out there just waiting for us. As the date of my surgery gets closer, it is easy to get stressed to the limit and begin doubting yourself. Thanks to you and other Bonesmarties who have shared their journeys, I can truly say that I am looking forward to having this surgery and getting my recovery started. I, too, want the life I had before my knees took control. I am ready for the ups and downs of this roller coaster ride because I know there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel!! :ok: :egypdance: :happydance: :spin: :yay: :)
 
You are very welcome, and that was a lot to read! It is so worth it, this surgery! Your future is something to look forward to, surgery and recovery the sometimes challenging road to get there, but it's all worth it in the end!
 
My dear cat Tom, reluctant travel companion of nearly 18 years, died on Saturday night. He walked back and forth through the house with me last summer as I practiced walking with the walker or crutches on my two new knees. Poor boy, he will be missed, the last of our beloved pets to go.
 
Sorry about your Tom, but nice to hear from you...and that you are doing so well!
Enjoy the holidays
 
Janet,
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your belved pet Tom. I sure he will be missed, but I am sure he had a wonderful life with you.
 
I've had a sore right knee this week. I was laying on my left side watching tv on Monday, and I tried to scootch or something and got a sharp pain from the lateral force on the knee. Maybe there was some lateral movement and something got pinched? It's been sore all week, but improving. I finally put frozen peas on it last night. I don't want to start out with sore knees going to Utah Saturday! That and my darn foot has been bothering me. I wore shoes without an orthotic support yesterday to a funeral and really felt it in my instep when I got home.
 
Hi Janet,

I too, like so many others, are so appreciative of your wonderful thread here. It helps in so many ways -- we get to read all about your journey and when others post, we get to read their experiences as well. So, thank you for keeping your thread alive - I hope you will continue to do so.

I was very, very sorry to hear of the passing of your sweet Tom. I love my little "furbabies" so much, and have lost two in the past 16 months - it's heartbreaking.

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! You are doing so great!! I love to hear how positive you are and take the little hiccups in stride.

Have fun in Utah! I can only dream about doing what you are about to embark on. Walking (not hiking) a short distance really makes me regret it afterwards -- so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and keep us all posted on your travels.

Thanks so much for all the great pointers!

Elizabeth
 
Thanks Elizabeth, i'm sorry for all those who have lost furbabies. Two in 16 months is hard, although it's been 8 years since Tom's mom died and there is still a little raw spot, not to mention our dear beagle Toby that's been gone almost 13 years. I can still well up thinking about her. The way they died makes it all the harder, but I can't even go there. Anyway, at some point you will think about tackling something like an easy hike. I'm going with intentions, and then will adjust my expectations when I see how I do. I expect I'll do fine. Thanks again!
 
Saturday is the day Kim (my daughter) and I go to St. George, Utah! This will certainly test the limits of not just my knees, but my whole body, and perhaps my psyche. I'll be posting my Utah journal here, good or bad. I don't have expectations, just going to go out and see what happens, so I won't be disappointed. It's already a win that I I could even imagine going! Meanwhile, my knees don't feel great tonight, thought to check the barometer, and it's low, so not a surprise there. I got a pedicure and brow wax today, will get my hair and nails done tomorrow and finish packing my bag, then I'll be all spiffed up and ready to go to the desert and get dusty and sore! (But I'll look good!)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-3003851927.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 123
  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-2487620156.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 115
  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-1531887439.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 115
  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-2497586738.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 114
  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-247061555.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 106
  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-3799170268.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 134
Look at your Janet, I am so proud of you. Who would have thought a year ago that you would have been able to do that. Congrats...
 
Awesome Janet! Some how I missed so much of this thread, but I'm glad I caught up! You go girl, today was a biggie and you won! :yay:
Love the pictures, thanks for sharing! Have a great day tomorrow my friend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom