Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to a 3 hour cooking class tomorrow. This will be a hands on, on feet class. A year ago I would have not considered going for the pain of standing in place for more than a few moments. Now I'm looking forward to it!
 
Janet, this really sounds like fun! I've always wanted to do that, but I'm afraid I'll that I've been doing something wrong all this time! :heehee: Is it baking or meal preps?
 
It was a lot of fun. I made a mess. Here was the menu.

Potato and leak soup
Chicken coq ou Vin
Butternut Squash Risotto
Garlic green beans
Eclairs

We did all the cooking ourselves, dividing the tasks up among 11 of us. I did the vanilla creme filling for the eclairs. The chef was running around answering questions. The vanilla creme was to die for, but very rich! I did the creme because there was a lot of stirring and little need for a knife. I don't have a good track record with sharp knives!
 
LOL.... And, they let you cut your grandsons cake with, what looked to me as a very sharp knife, and didn't you mention that you were doing a stabbing motion before the picture was taken? You're expecting a good track record with sharp knives? :skep: :loll:

Wow, that looks like an awesome menu, did you guys get to eat what everyone made? I love eclairs, but I'm afraid to buy any because I would down too many of them! Every time I see the in the stores, they wink at me and its quite an effort to turn my head! I have never made them from scratch though, I bet that I'll bet that creme was to die for! Yum!
 
Yes, we ate what we made. Since everyone worked on different parts, today we are sending around notes about the recipes and techniques, etc. i'm not a fan of store bought eclairs, and even these, I requested to have mine without the chocolate. Not a fan at all, but loved the creme!
 
I tested myself today to see what I could do. I went upstairs taking two steps at a time! I did have to use the railing. On the way down, I ran down the steps. That part was easier!
 
I have always wanted to take a cooking class like that. Sounds like so much fun and a great meal! And wow, you took the stairs two at a time and ran down, that is phenomenal! Way to go Janet!
 
I did have to rather pull myself up, so not sure how much those two steps count, but coming down was fun!
 
Yesterday, we took everyone to go see the Lion King stage show. I love that production, seeing it once before by myself, and couldn't wait until it came to Detroit! I had to wait four years, and it was a Christmas present to everyone. Now, why this is a knee story is that I've been to theater performances a couple of times since surgery, and both times it was uncomfortable having to keep my knees bent in a limited seating space. Yesterday, I had no discomfort during a 2 3/4 hour performance! I consider that measurable progress!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
They continue to sneak up on us as we traverse the first year of recovery---and ain't it great! You are doing wonderfully and enjoying life so much now--you are such a BoneSmart success.

Take care, keep posting, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 
My son and his fiancé were due here at 5:45am so hubby could drop them off at the airport as they are going to Florida a day earlier than us to visit her brother. Good plan, but son had a there and back business trip yesterday to Wichita, Kansas. There was fine, back wasn't going to happen with the snow storm that hit Kansas! They got him as far as Atlanta last night and will re route him to Tampa this morning, leaving Her to travel on his reservation by herself this morning. So I got up and said maybe I should go along so hubby could go in and make sure she had no trouble checking in. OK. So off I ran to the bedroom to throw some clothes on and... Wait, back up, did you see that? ( I actually ran back and said that) I RAN to the bedroom without thinking about it! When's the last time I've done that?? One of my goals of having surgery was to be able to do a quick sprint out of the rain or crossing a busy street. I can do that now!

My bags are packed, weighed and closed up. We stopped for breakfast on the way home from the airport. I'm having a pedicure and eyebrow waxing at 10, my nails done at 1:30, my hair cut and colored with a few highlights thrown in at 4, and dinner with my other son and DiL at 6:30. No rush tomorrow, our flight leaves at 2pm. Almost feels like a life of luxury!
 
Okay so the 4 month thing didn't work out but now we know the 8 months does! Sounds good to me! Kudos to you Janet and thanks for posting...reassuring!
 
Whoa Janet where have I been! Steps, two ata time, running down stair! Sitting 2 3/4 hours to watch a show, without discomfort and running to the bedroom without thinking! Woohoo, you go girl! See Janet run!!!:thumb:

Have a great vacation kiddo! You and your knees should have a bonding time my friend!:yay:
 
Janet I second that! Have a great vacation. I wish I was leaving the grey skies behind too.
 
It was grey here too, but at least it's green and we sat outside for dinner. So, this was my first time through an airport. I breezed through, no problem, but I did learn something. Our airport has both the standard metal detector that you walk through, and also the full body scanner that you stand in for 3 seconds. I was in line for the latter, but then stepped over to tell a security guy that I have knee replacements, thinking that if they have to call someone over, I might as well not wait in line before telling them. But he said that I was in the right line, that the scanner was the machine I wanted to go through. I didn't need any further inspection. Had I gone through the metal detector, I would have been pulled aside. So, if your airport has a scanner, get in that line!

My knees do feel swollen tonight after flying. I think I'll muster up an ice bag before bed. But it didn't keep me from taking a nice walk after dinner!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom