Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Oh, I just love you girls----such fun!
 
Just like that (snap!), another month has gone by and my 7 month anniversary with Cookie and Elmo is today! Life is certainly getting back to normal, in fact I'd say it is back to normal! I still have room for improvement, still get more of a pulling than pain above my knees when rising from a seat or going up and down stairs, but that continues to improve slowly. I still feel some swelling, especially in my right knee (that Cookie Monster!) I feel that I'm at a point where the focus can be on increasing general fitness and stamina rather than just recovery. I'm quite happy to find I can do the Walk Aerobic videos, although being mindful - I do get a little clunking with those side steps, especially. But it feels so good to be able to start to "move on" from surgery! I can't think of anything I'd not do right now just because of my knees! (Given that I'm not an extreme sport sort of person!) Oh, I thought of something - I wouldn't crawl across the floor on my hands and knees! I haven't yet tried to take a bath, but I am getting up off the floor without issue, so I bet I could with just some momentary discomfort kneeling on one knee to get up. Perhaps this will be my new challenge for myself in the New Year. With these temps in the teens and 20s and with a wind chill out there in effect, it's a good time to consider a hot bath! Stay tuned, I'll report back when I've tried this!
 
:yay: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Cookie, Elmo and Janet! :yay: :goodpost: Isn't life just grand!!!! You will be so ready for golf this spring, and your summer family vacation, just fantastic! I'm so glad that our BTKR worked out so well for us! Keep on keep'n on my recovery buddy! :friends:
 
Since this is my 7 mo anniversary, I'll share this here as well as on the social page. I am sitting here smiling, and I feel lifted up! I did the 2 Mile Walk Aerobic video! I new I could stop anytime, but I didn't need to, I finished the whole thing! What a feeling!
 
The forum is so busy that the threads drop away very quickly these days! Thanks for popping in!
 
Sounds lie you are doing great. Why o you think your rom is? I was a little nervous about finishing pt sine I went five months total with both knees. Do you still feel tightness around knees? I don't ice any more do you? Maybe I should be. I should also check into water aerobics at my gym. Free so why not
 
My ROM was last measured at 120/0. I do still have some stiffness and feel swollen somewhat, but not with a feeling of a tight band. I iced just yesterday. I don't ice often, and I would probably benefit from icing more often. I've just started some low impact walk aerobics, so the icing is just probably a good idea, rather than that my knees are blowing up or anything. I have been on and off of Celebrex, and am still more comfortable on it than off it. I'd like to be off all medications (who wouldn't) but I might need it for my hips and shoulders regardless. I still have some discomfort, in the way of pulling over the knee, getting out of a seat or going up and down stairs, but I can do both of those things hands free. The pool is great, although I find it harder to motivate myself to go now that I have other options. It was great when it was the only thing I could do without pain. But after ending PT, it is important to do something to keep the ROM. I am doing great, and have been fortunate, but I'm also still only seven months out. I'm getting there! Life is feeling normal, rather than revolving around my knees!
 
My friend in Brazil had her surgery today. I'm nervous for her and have no way of hearing anything. Well, not true. I bet I can get ahold of one of her kids through facebook, at least tomorrow. She doesn't think there is wi-fi at the hospital and she'll be there for five days. Once home, I'll be on call on Skype.
 
First word is it went well, but routinely, they keep them in ICU for the first 24 hours,
 
Congrats on your seven months! The update brought tears to my eyes. I have enjoyed reading your recovery so much and I thought I would have been in myself sooner. But I will bookmark this to re-read over again when I finally get my surgery. I know you must be so happy to be out and about but we love hearing how it's going for you.
 
KayeKaye, Nice to hear from you! I'm glad I can show you a path that gives you hope and encouragement for your future. I guess you'll have your surgery when the time is right, but I hope that is sooner than later if you are suffering from knee pain and missing out on the joys of everyday activity! Yes, even the drudgery of chores or grocery shopping is a joy when you realize you can actually do these things again and do them without pain! I got such a kick out of cleaning out the storage closets in the basement yesterday, carrying luggage and boxes around and putting all the Christmas stuff away. What is it they say, you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it? I appreciate the simple act of walking everyday now! I suppose there could come a time when I don't think of it and take it for granted, and I guess that would truly mark a total recovery and return to life as it was meant to be, but I kind of hope I never forget what Cookie Monster, Elmo and Dr. O'Keefe have miraculously done for me to open up my life again!
 
I stopped taking Tylenol a few days ago and find I don't need it. Not the case when I stopped taking the Celebrex. So now I'm just taking a Celebrex each day, and Prilosec in the mornings, and those are my only medications now. I think I need to stick with the Celebrex rather than taking Advil. I took that one day recently in place of the Celebrex and got the bleeding under the skin in a little spot. It was only then that I realized that I had Not been getting those spots for some time now. I had them all the time last year. I'd love to get off the Celebrex, too, but I think it helps other joints as well. Someone mentioned taking it every other day (the BP thing), I might try that sometime. My BP has been okay at home, however. It's only high when I go to the doctor. Seems the doctor is what I need to avoid.
 
How expensive is the Celebrex? I was wondering if there is a generic form of it now as last I checked it was over $100 per month to take. Wonder how much it costs in Mexico, but yet I wouldn't want to start it without talking to my rheumatologist first.
 
I was on Celebrex, in my early 50's along with 2 other arthritis meds then they took Celebrex off the market, because people were having heart attacks. I then realized that I had no less pain when I took all those meds so I quit them all! I stuck with iburophen until my TKR and nnow I take nothing! Point being, I still can't this dang BP under control, readings 160-180/95-105, it's really driving me crazy! So, if Celebrex is helping you, keep taking it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom