Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use that saline solution too Janet, not pretty, but like you said, it gets the job done! I'm with you though, pop the pills if need be. Desperate times, need desperate measures!
I hope you get well soon kiddo, you have a life to life!:friends: Dang colds!
 
There is one type of Mucinex that decongests and well as helps with a cough. I had bronchitis last year and they had me take it. It worked really well.
 
I sure hope you are able to kick that cold soon Janet!:console2:
I came back into the office today for my first day back and I hear people sneezing down the hall.. I am cringing hoping I don't catch something since I have been "quarantined" for the past 6 weeks! I have the hand sanitizer sitting on my desk and hit it everytime someone comes in or I leave... LOL
 
Third post op visit to the OS today. After the PA was in and covered the minutia, OS came in and asked me to straighten and bend my legs. His response was "Wow". "You are a star, you really are a star!" He said I'm way ahead of the average patient. He said most people don't look like me until a year. Of course, he doesn't see most of them between 3 and 12 months. But regardless of that, I've been very lucky, along with the many stars here at Bonesmart! Readers can know that they, too, might be stars, and if anyone compares themselves to me and feels they are behind in progress, it doesn't mean they are not normal or aren't progressing as expected. I don't feel like a patient anymore. When did that happen? I go back to see him in June, for my one year anniversary.

The PA asked if I was still doing exercises and was pleased that I had just finished PT last week, and was even more pleased that I will be in the pool regularly and stopping by Planet Fitness to use the bike. She warned not to stop stretching, that she's seen too often what happens when people let that go. She also said not to worry about strengthening exercises, that strength will continue to come, but keep stretching, and also work on core strength while in the pool, as that's a lot of getting out of a chair.

So, not surprisingly, it was a good four month report. On the cold front, I think I'm improving. I've been using the saline, but did take a decongestant today since I had a social lunch to go to and then the surgeon afterwards. I slept propped up last night in an effort to not cough, which helped. (Not that I really mean sleep as in actually being asleep...)
 
AZRoxie said:
I sure hope you are able to kick that cold soon Janet!:console2:
I came back into the office today for my first day back and I hear people sneezing down the hall.. I am cringing hoping I don't catch something since I have been "quarantined" for the past 6 weeks! I have the hand sanitizer sitting on my desk and hit it everytime someone comes in or I leave... LOL

Good luck being exposed at work! The PA asked if I have allergies, and I said no, I have grandchildren!
 
Great report Janet! :thumb: It's so wonderful to get such a great report from your OS after 4 months of having your Elmo & Cookie Monster as new members of your family! :thumb:
 
How are you feeling today Janet? I hope your cold is being kinder to you and has decided
To leave you alone! :bow:
 
Janet AND Jacky,
You are both doing so well. I still don't know how you managed having 2 done...and so fabulously! I admire you both.
 
Nyland said:
Janet AND Jacky,
You are both doing so well. I still don't know how you managed having 2 done...and so fabulously! I admire you both.

Well, we said, Doc, do 'em both! And that's all it took! :) And we are faaabulous!
 
Jacky, still congested, using sudafed when I need to, but I think the worst is over. Thanks for caring!
 
When you have TKRs done they should offer you a written guarantee that NOTHING else will plague you for at least a year - it's all tooooo much! I think we are all doing great - despite the additional effects of advancing years!!!! :whistle:
 
Oh, wouldn't that be a fair and square deal! But if they gave out free passes for that, there are those here that I would happily give my pass to, because I have nothing to complain about. Vicki comes to mind among others. And Jacky, Jan, Sonja ... Gosh, the list goes on - there's been no guarantees here!
 
Next week at this time, I'll be on a road trip down to Kentucky for a week of horse country, historic Inns and nature, hopefully at it's finest. All to take advantage of a two hour business meeting hubby has near Lexington. We'll also be staying at a couple of State Park Lodges in the Daniel Boone National Forest. I'll be focusing on scenic drives, train trips and boat rides, but there are also some short hiking trails I'd like to think that I could enjoy. But I'm thinking about picking up a set of trekking poles before I go. Has anyone ever used them? I'm thinking they might give me a little extra confidence and stability on potentially uneven trails, even if they are only 1/4 mile long. Gosh, I should ask @Historian.
 
Yes I use walking poles Janet - they are great for steadying you when you need to climb a stile or balance for a moment on uneven ground. Definitely worth having! You're right about the guarantee - wasn't really complaining!
 
Oh, I know you weren't complaining, you are doing great! Maybe I'll go to REI this week. I would think they have trekking poles. I had never seen anyone use them until I lived in Germany, and they looked funny to me, but I've come around. Thanks.
 
Oh, wouldn't that be a fair and square deal! But if they gave out free passes for that, there are those here that I would happily give my pass to, because I have nothing to complain about. Vicki comes to mind among others. And Jacky, Jan, Sonja ... Gosh, the list goes on - there's been no guarantees here!

Janet, don't forget you had you fair share of scare prior to you're BTKR, right up to the wire for goodness sakes! As the saying goes "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!" and boy we're getting strong like BULL, aren't we!:friends:

It sounds like you are going to have a FANTABULIOUS trip and that dang cold should be all better by then!:yes!:

I'm happy to hear that you the worse of that cold is over!:thumb:
 
Jacky, true,I would have cashed that pass in before surgery if I could have!

I went to the pool today. I haven't been for a while because it was too much to do that and PT on the same day. It was nice to be back. I headed the advice to keep stretching.
 
Glad you are doing so well. Sorry about the cold they just stink. That sounds like a great trip enjoy the beautiful scenery. I look forward to the days when I can ride comfortably in the car again. Just a 25 mile trip yesterday (to the Dr.) left me swollen and hurting afterward.
 
Teresa, thanks. Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I should with this trip. It's 6 hours there and 7 hours back. I usually do the driving on our road trips, but haven't gone this far for some time. In August, I drove to Saugatuck, usually less than 2 1/2 hours, but with traffic construction it took 3 hours. I had no problem with that at all and I was at the two month mark at that point. But in those early days, a 30 minute ride was something else. I'm 30 minutes from the hospital and doctor in Ann Arbor and 30 minutes from the rehab I went to in Milford. Actually, I think my knees did just fine on the way home from rehab at 14 days and to the first OS visit at the hospital at 17 days come to think of it. My problem was riding in the car and trying not to get motion sickness. That was a problem for quite a while, until I got off most of the pain meds I suppose. It all just takes time, but it is so rewarding to mark the milestones. Just tonight, I used a public restroom and the handicap stall was occupied, so used the other. I was able to sit AND GET UP without touching anything!! That's been a challenge for me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom