Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope all goes well for them! I have three boys, 3, soon to be 6 and 8. I have a new 12 year old step grand daughter that is a great girl and is a great addition to the family. (Have known her since she was 5). There will likely be a baby in the future coming from the newlyweds! They all live within 10 minutes of us. :)
 
I went to the Titanic Artifacts exhibit yesterday, it's last week since opening in March. I've been waiting until I thought I could/should do the walking. I did just fine, although I did sit a couple of times in the other part of the museum. We only stayed for a couple hours and that included lunch time. I must have great hopes for the future, because I renewed my membership for the museum and village which I didn't use once last year!
 
Janet, I loved Greenfield Village---I used to take the kids about once a week!!
 
Juniper, I have been thinking of you and wondering how you are doing? I am doing better myself now too.

My bike group went on a ride last Thursday and it was 26 miles---I kept saying, I am not sure I can finish, I may turn back early. I got antsy and so, shot out in front. I was so afraid that I was burning myself out, but decided to just ride. I got to the park ahead of everyone else. We ate lunch and rested for 40 min or so.

When I got back on my bike--we had to go up a really long hill right away--I knew I was tired, but found that I was riding at 15 miles per hour--which is amazing for me. I ended up in front again and got back about 20 min before anyone else showed up. If anything, I am better now than I was in the spring. Oh yes, no knee pain!!!

I am lucky because I am an artist and so my work occurs whenever I want to work. Which means, I can rest more the you can during the day. I am happy to read that you are doing better though----and yes, this is a long, long recovery.
I am not sure that I could ever do it again. Kelly
 
skigirl said:
Janet, I loved Greenfield Village---I used to take the kids about once a week!!

Wow! That's getting your money's worth! There's always something worth going for. Halloween is coming up!
 
Hi Janet,
You are doing so well. I am so glad for you. Enjoying life with 2 new knees....and the holidays are right around the corner to enjoy.
 
One good knee, anyway. I'm trying to figure out the best time to get my other knee done..so not to miss grandchildren's birthdays, make sure that I can sit through a recital, and have my scar healed enough to recover in the pool. :SUNsmile:
 
Not to predict a trend here, but just lately I am finding I'm not getting that groaning pain upon straightening my knees after sleeping curled up. At least I didn't this morning. I'm seeing more and more of the future creeping into today.
 
Good news today. PT did my assessment today, 16 1/2 weeks, and laying on my stomach, bending my knees back on my own, got me to 125 flex on both knees. I was 118/120 a month ago as I was two months ago, with August off for vacation. So still progressing! For my purposes, this is fully functional, although I still think I will eventually get to the 130 that I have my eye on. More time, less swelling and less pudge on the legs would help! Aside from that, I'm coming down with a cold and am about to take a nap. I didn't do the full PT session, just the bike, soft tissue work, assessment, Nustep and back home with the PT's blessings. I only have two more sessions!
 
Sounds like you are doing great Janet. Wish I was at your numbers, but I am only at 6 weeks too. That old word "patients" is staring me right in the face. Have you been going to PT all this time? I know some people didn't start right away, and I can't remember when you started. My insurance limits me to 20 times and I used 11 of them so far. Not sure I should save some in case I need a MUA, but I am starting with a therapist on Monday, and if you pay cash it is only $70. Not sure she is an excepted provider with my insurance anyway. Anyway, way to go.
 
:yay:Janet, you're doing great! We love museums, but we haven't been in quite sometime. You are coming along really great. Now getting a cold is not really nice. Get plenty of rest so you can go enjoy life again!

Get well soon my friend!:friends:
 
Janet, that is wonderful!! That is great progress! 130 here you come!! I'm so sorry about the cold..they are so miserable. Please get some rest and kick that cold out the door :)
 
Not to predict a trend here, but just lately I am finding I'm not getting that groaning pain upon straightening my knees after sleeping curled up. At least I didn't this morning. I'm seeing more and more of the future creeping into today.


Ugh, I just hate that stiff feeling first thing. After 14 weeks, I still am a bit stiff when I uncurl my leg in the morning. It isn't painful, just annoying. I still have 'startup' stiffness when I first get out of bed, but it goes away after I take about 10 steps.

I told my husband I sure hope I never have an emergency where I have to come flying out of bed, cause I'd end up on my nose! :)
 
Debbie_joints said:
Sounds like you are doing great Janet. Wish I was at your numbers, but I am only at 6 weeks too. That old word "patients" is staring me right in the face. Have you been going to PT all this time? I know some people didn't start right away, and I can't remember when you started. My insurance limits me to 20 times and I used 11 of them so far. Not sure I should save some in case I need a MUA, but I am starting with a therapist on Monday, and if you pay cash it is only $70. Not sure she is an excepted provider with my insurance anyway. Anyway, way to go.

Debbie, I went to four weeks PT before surgery, six weeks after surgery starting at three weeks (plus had PT during first 2 weeks of hospital and rehab stay), took four weeks off, and am finishing another six weeks next week. Three times a week. So far insurance has covered it. At six weeks, my Rom was at 90/110 I think.
 
Titianlady said:
Ugh, I just hate that stiff feeling first thing. After 14 weeks, I still am a bit stiff when I uncurl my leg in the morning. It isn't painful, just annoying. I still have 'startup' stiffness when I first get out of bed, but it goes away after I take about 10 steps.

I told my husband I sure hope I never have an emergency where I have to come flying out of bed, cause I'd end up on my nose! :)

I remember having that when I had arthroscopic surgery, but at least I haven't had much of that issue now. I'm good to go once my feet hit the ground. I remember when we'd leave a restaurant, everyone would be about out the door and I'd still be at the table shaking my knee into place!
 
Thanks, Judy, Nyland and everyone, I'm pleased with the improvement! Trying to keep this cold at bay with zicam and Emergen-C! Edit: I meant Jacky, not Judy, but thanks to Judy just in general! :)
 
I just started putting a baby gate up to keep elderly cat Tom from growling at the bedroom end of the house at 5 am and waking us up. He's beyond jumping over it at 17 (tomorrow is his birthday!). I, however, am not! No, I didn't jump over it, but I did hang on to the banister and step over it! I'm not sure that's an accomplishment, but for whatever reason, I wasn't sure I could do it but I can! I do have long legs. It gives me hope for being able to get my leg over my bike eventually, which is quite tall. Maybe I'll pump the tires up and give it a try before it's put away for the winter. I had a hard time getting on and off before surgery. It's taller than the baby gate I think, but that's a start!
 
Wow Janet now you're doing hurdles, what next!:skep: I hope this gate wasn't at the top of a staircase, was it?:scratch:
You actually still ride a bike? I envy you for sure! I haven't been on a bike since my 30's as the knees got worse the bike got further away from me. I took a good tumble, coming back from a nice ride, in my driveway and the bike got put away for good. I guess I was lucky I didn't break anything. Now I would be to afraid to fall and hurt my knees. I guess I could get a 3 wheeler.:heehee: Let me know how you make out getting the leg over the bike.
Wish Tom a happy birthday for with and extra little petting.:thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom