Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're doing great Janet!! Ah, bless Toms heart. I just lost my 20 year old kitty,Tucker. He was a Russian Blue. He passed just before I had my surgery. I think I cried for days, right up to the day I left for surgery. It was tough when I got home.. Something was missing.
My vet told me at Toms age, they can get dementia, just like people. If he is growling, or meowing at night, he may be confused ..age you know.

My Tucker would go through the house at night yeowling like mad.. And sometimes with a cat toy in his mouth. He did it every night..vet said he was getting a bit of dementia and didn't know night from day anymore.
 
Tom has had quite a life for a cat. He was born in Brazil on my kitchen chair. When he was 5 , he moved with his mom and us to Poland, and then when he was 8 to Germany, where his mom died a tragic death. He attached himself to me. He used to travel under the plane seat back and forth from Germany to the US twice a year, and by train or car between Germany and Switzerland. He has an official, government, cat passport for Europe. When he was thirteen, he moved to Michigan and has been an indoor cat ever since. He's always adapted to where ever we took him as long as I was there with him. I even took him to Atlanta when my daughter was waiting on a baby to be born. He's doing remarkably well for his age, but he is getting up there. I just moved his litter box from the basement bathroom to the laundry room, where it used to be. I'm trying to make his life a little easier before he starts having difficulties. Good ole Tom. Sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

On other, exciting Knee News, we went with the family for cider and donuts and a hayride out to the pumpkin patch. I took one look at the wagon and said I'd stay behind, because I wouldn't be able to get up that big first step into the wagon. Then I said I'd see. Well, I measured first, and that step went up to just under my knee. But with Elmo leading the way and hanging on, I did it! Easily! Without even a twinge! And I sat on a bale of hay! Climbing down, I went backwards, just to be safe.
 
Jacky48 said:
Wow Janet now you're doing hurdles, what next!:skep: I hope this gate wasn't at the top of a staircase, was it?:scratch:
You actually still ride a bike? I envy you for sure! I haven't been on a bike since my 30's as the knees got worse the bike got further away from me. I took a good tumble, coming back from a nice ride, in my driveway and the bike got put away for good. I guess I was lucky I didn't break anything. Now I would be to afraid to fall and hurt my knees. I guess I could get a 3 wheeler.:heehee: Let me know how you make out getting the leg over the bike.
Wish Tom a happy birthday for with and extra little petting.:thumb:

No, the gate is across the walkway between the bottom step and the opposite wall. Falling is the big concern with bike riding. I usually just pedal around our neighborhood where there isn't much traffic and no gravel streets. I haven't been on the bike this year, but maybe spring of last year a couple of times. We used to enjoy bike riding in Poland because it was so flat. In Germany, we lived on the side of a mountain, so never took the bike out. Got a bike here when we bought the condo ten years ago. So it's not like I haven't been on a bike in decades!
 
Janet, you are doing so well. Aren't those donuts so good. I haven't been anyplace that had them fresh made there. But was to an orchard near here that sold those apple pastries and caramel apples. Yummy. it is a fruit so shouldn't be fattening, right???
 
Janet! Hip hip hooray! You are doing great!!:yes!:
I tackled getting our hot tub today, I was afraid I would have trouble getting both legs up and over the sides but was surprised how easily I did it... felt great on my aching muscles.. we did alot of errands today and after being out for 3hours I was ready to get home and relax..
You are my inspiration... love reading your triumphs and I also learn from you as well.. keep it up! :bicycle1:
 
I won't admit how many donuts I ate today! Cider was a splurge, as we lost 90% of our state apple crop this year. But sweet yum!

Roxie, i'm glad that I can be encouraging and bring some helpful info to the forum, as I found others so helpful to me! It is exciting to report small steps that can only be appreciated fully by other Bonesmarties! How was the hot tub? I was leery of using it on vacation, afraid that it would increase swelling in my knee, but it sure sounded good for my muscles!
 
We went to the theater tonight, the first time since before surgery. I haven't been sure how I would do sitting with restricted leg room. (I have long legs) It was nearly a three hour show, with an intermission. It would have been too long if I hadn't had an empty seat next to me to stretch my legs into once in a while. But I tried it and it was nice to go out. The theater is within a larger building (beautiful and historic landmark in Detroit) and since we were early, and I didn't have comfy shoes on, I looked for a seat to wait for hubby while he parked. The only empty seat I found in the corridor was behind an empty information booth for a real estate firm, so I perched myself on the stool. While waiting, I had several people come up to me asking information! Lol! I think I was able to help everyone out. :)
 
Janet you are recovering in leaps and bounds!:thumb: It must have been nice to get out and enjoy doing wonderful things again, and to realize that you did the right thing by having BTKR. It's a win, win! Congrats my friend!:friends:
 
Janet and Jacky I think we all made the best decision to have BTKR's, the first couple weeks were rough and I would be lying if the thought didn't run through my mind "What the heck did I do??" but with both of your stories and experiences I have been soaring through it all! I am at the 5 week PostOp date today and so excited to experience the things both of you have, recently sleeping on my belly again and building up my stamina to sit for longer periods of time in the car or out to eat.
Thank you both and keep on truckin'! :thankyou:
 
Thank you Roxie, I'm glad that you were able to get something out of my experience. That's what BoneSmart is all about. I learned from those before me and I hope those after me learn from my and other BoneSmarties experiences. :thumb:

Stay well and stay positive my friend! :friends:
 
Roxie, it IS exciting! Before you know it, you'll be saying Look What I Can Do Now! And you will be so happy you had both done and are one of the lucky ones that went with a BTKR.
 
Cookie Monster, Elmo and I celebrated our four month anniversary today by playing golf for the first time in 15 months! It was a scramble at our par 3, 9 hole course, so not a big challenge, but I hadn't even tried swinging a club, so wasn't sure what to expect. I had so much fun, and it was a gorgeous fall evening to be playing! The knees did just fine, no pain, AND I played well! I got closest to the pin on a hard hole and playing best ball, we used my tee off ball 4 out of 9 times! It was 76 degrees at tee time, but tonight it is going to be down in he 30's, our last nice day for awhile. SO, it likely will also be my last time playing this year, and here's the beauty of it - I'll be able to revel all winter in how well I played golf during the 2012 season! :)
 
Happy anniversary Elmo, Cookie Monster and Janet! Great day for you all! What a wonderful way to end you golf year! :thumb: You go girl! :friends: life is great after TKRs!
 
Janet said, "I'll be able to revel all winter in how well I played golf during the 2012 season!" :)

[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Oh, Janet, I love your outlook---and sense of humor. Here's a cute poster just for you---

[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 
I've been struggling with an annoying cold for more than a week. I swear it's getting worse rather than better. I so need some sleep! Sigh... I had my annual physical today, which was two years overdue. She was kind. And told me to come back in a month. She thought my knees looked nice! I go to the OS tomorrow for my third post op follow up.
 
Awe Janet, :console2: I hope you concur that cold, soon how miserable you must feel. It's has to be very unpleasant when you have a cold that takes over your life and well being.

Good luck at your OS tomorrow!

Get well soon my friend! :friends:
 
Thanks Jacky. I'm trying not to take cold medicine because I have borderline high BP. But I also don't want it to linger up there so long that I end up with a sinus infection. We know where that can lead. Maybe the cold medicine is the lesser of the evils.
 
Oh yes Janet, sinus infections are not good and very hard to get rid of. Since you're borderline BP cold meds shouldn't hurt or have you tried Musinex or anything like that. You really want to break this thing before it gets worse. Wishing you well my friend!
 
She didn't think there was an infection now and said to try treating it with saline solution and throat lozengers. I do have some Sudafed in the house if I need it, but I'm trying out the saline solution, in one nostril, out the other. Never found that idea appealing, but in practice, it's somewhat satisfying! However, if I end up with another night of coughing, I'm popping pills!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom