Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Janet, I just caught up on your posts and when you said you went to the mall I said, yikes! You must have felt okay and accomplished yet another milestone, then that darn pain came along and rained on your parade! :console2: Every now and then I get very tender knee caps and wonder, how long is this going to be. Then Rose says she's at 15 months, oh, oh! Alright, but they still feel great most of the time, not like the old knees at all!

Stay well and stay positive my friend! :friends:
 
I totally get trying to wean yourself from the pain meds. I still need to take naproxin. I think I already said that...and now I am only taking it if I am really in pain. I feel strange to be taking meds at this point, but I do if I can't walk through the day. Literally.
 
Janet,
Many of us need pain relief for months after surgery. You sound like you are doing great, walkin and swimming. Everyone is different. We all recover at different rates, and we each have our perception for pain. You WILL get to the point where you only need to take a tylenol or advil sometimes, but your knee is still healing and working out the kinks needs time and pain relief.
I think you are fine!
Keep up the good fight!
Sandy
 
Thanks all for the support. It's true that everyone has different tolerances or need for some pain relief at different times. I expect to be using tylenol and ibuprofen or Celebrex for a few more months. The tramodol takes an edge off knee discomfort, but isn't really needed and I'll get rid of that ... Slowly...

So tonight was the Victorian Festival parade. All the third grades in the town dress up along with parents and throw candy to the kids lining the streets. This was Jonnie's year, and we took the other two boys to the parade route, then all walked over for pizza afterwards. Knees were not an issue! Knees have Always been an issue at these sort of things! It makes me happy. :)

I did go to PT and did a "lite" version. It's settled down, but that quad over Elmo was still tender during some of the exercises, so if it hurt, I stopped. Much better than it was early in the week, so I'm managing it.
 
I am so happy to hear that you're enjoying yourself doing things that gave you trouble in the past (pre BTKR days) and that Cookie Monster and Elmo make you happy!:yay: Can you believe you're heading on 16 weeks?! Time does fly when you're having fun!:)
 
Jacky, I know, 16 weeks for both of us! Before we know it it will be 6 months and the knees will just be that much more of a thing in the background! I'm heading out to the Victorian festival to give a hand to my daughter while the three kids go to the carnival. At 3:30 are the ever popular duck races, where you buy a numbered rubber duck and they are released upstream to race to the finish line, with everyone lining the stream cheering the ducks on! So great that I can enjoy these things with my new knees!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-3949030717.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 111
OMG! What a sweet looking family! It sounds like you are heading out for such a fun day! Have a great time enjoying the kids and the duck race!:happydance:
 
You and the duck - born to swim!
I'm just catching up on your thread. I had my first knee done in February and in late May I tried to do aquafit, largely because I couldn't find anything else appropriate at a time that worked. I was thrilled with how well the new knee did, but the then-unoperated knee couldn't hack it. But like you, I LOVE swimming. So in June I started driving to my brother's place, almost an hour away, for unlimited access to his pool. It felt so wonderful to be in the water and get that sense of freedom you mentioned. My second time in I did 100 lengths: it's a private pool but pretty big. I did that about twice a week for the rest of the summer. When the newer knee is ready, I'll have to get back in the water. However, the best part for me is dunking my head under!
 
It is a wonderful feeling! I'd love to dunk my head in the water, but just can't do that to my hair with the chemicals, especially several times a week. I'm signed up for a class but don't participate in it. It just allows me access to all the open swim time slots which are adults only and never crowded (at the community college), a good deal. Time to go to the pool...
 
Hi Janet, I want to thank you for mentioning on ElanorG's thread about Orthaheel orthotic slippers. I have be looking for slippers and bought several pairs and they just didn't do the job for me. I do get FootSmart catalog and quickly looked to see if they had them in the new fall catalog and they did. I kept in mind that you said they run a size big (the catalog states it also) and I went online and ordered a pair of slippers and a pair of their walking shoes. I bought the "tan leopard" slippers so I'll be a leopard walk'n. :heehee: I can't wait to get them cause I'm tired of wearing my shoes from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Thanks again! :thumb:
 
I hope they work out for you! I think I tried the walking shoes and returned them. Probably the same as the sandals, I find I have to go with my regular size in everything but the slippers. Let me know how they work out for you. I think the support flattens down some in the slippers after a few months. I have the leopard and got a new pair this summer, the black and white spots, which I feel the support better in. But for as much as they are used, even if I replace them twice a year it's worth it. My leopard ones are now residing at my daughter's for when I'm over there. I also have to say, I tried the closed toe pink and black ones, and the arch was too much in that particular pair and returned them. So there can be some trial and error, but they are a foot saver in the end! I love them!
 
I did get the close toed ones, but I do have a high arch so I'm hoping the work. I did buy dress shoes in the past from them, but had to return them because they were too big, so I got the next size down and they were to small, I felt like Goldie Locks for god sakes, so I gave up. My daughter swears by their shoes, so I'll see if they work out. Crossing my fingersX!
 
If you don't love the closed toe, try the open toe before you give up. I like that the cross strap is completely adjustable. I think Zappos has a bigger selection.
 
Loved the photo. Keep being positive. I think it's the thing I need most. By about two pm everyday I can barely walk. I keep telling myself that my knee is getting better and I am stressing it by being on my feet so much as I teach and that eventually it will be fine. Ice and elevate every afternoon when I get home from school. Who thought it would be so long?
 
I think you are right, having to be on your feet for work must be stressful and is pretty much unavoidable. You'll still get there, just aren't going to be as comfortable in the process. On the one hand, I'm spoiled that I don't have to work and have a husband at home to do whatever I don't want to do (and is willing) - and have a pair of cleaning ladies that come regularly (18 years of following hubby around the world earned me some perks). On the other hand, I don't have a job to go back to that I Love! I'm not sure what to do with myself now, other than elevating and icing! Lol! (Good thing those grandkids are so nearby).
 
Grandkids can really brighten your day. I loved when my Eli came this past weekend. He is just so cute. How many grandkids do you have? I am still praying for my DIL and my son. She is 13 weeks today. Everything going well so far that we know of. She just had some tests yesterday, waiting for those results. Our son is so excited. He is finally starting to tell people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom