Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol! Exactly! And I don't want it to feel like straw. Three or four times a week would be too much for it.
 
I'm starting a deep water exercise class tomorrow, hoping for a good workout. Still have a lot of stiffness and swelling, especially after walking any distance.
 
I have noticed more stiffness and swelling after sleeping at night, I wake up 2 times about every 3 to 4 hrs still to go to the bathroom, I feel like I am pregnant again! LOL I told my hubby he is challenging me because he set up my riser seat and handlebars in the bathroom across the house instead of the master bath, he said it gave me more room, which in the beginning he was right when I needed my walker... but now I am racing like a tortoise to get there half asleep! LOL

The swimming or pool stretching and exercising I should say has been wonderful for me, allows me more movement and I get a warm shower afterwards... :-)
 
I had a little moment yesterday that gave me pause. I was walking through the mall, for the first time, to get to the Apple store (broken screen!) i miscalculated the nearest entrance so had to walk farther than expected. No big deal. But as I was walking I got a shot of pain in my knee, and suddenly I was limping. That has never happened before. It didn't turn out to be a problem I don't think, but it's a little tender and I'm icing. But it bothers me because now I feel like I can't trust my knees yet. Just a minor thing I'm sure. As lucky as I've been, I'm just not used to surprises like that.
 
t4mepam said:
I'm starting a deep water exercise class tomorrow, hoping for a good workout. Still have a lot of stiffness and swelling, especially after walking any distance.

I took a deep water class last year. Actually, I'm still enrolled in it, because it allows me to use the pool during the open swim. Just plan to modify some of the movements. There is a lot of kicking. You can always revert to a bicycle kick or tread water when they start doing high intensity kicking. Better to do too little than too much! Also, I find that the water pressure makes me feel the swelling more in the water. Good luck, and enjoy! And take it easy!!
 
Janet - that would concern me as well, I get them now but would expect them to decrease or diminish with time, maybe that is just an example that BTKR's don't heal overnight huh? LOL
Did you see my post that I slept on my belly the other night and again last night! I was nervous I would try and twist my knee in my sleep rolling over but I slept like a baby! 2 1/2 weeks post op.. I almost feel like maybe I cheated or something with my recovery so far but the PT tech's all said I am doing well, there was a lady that started out patient PT the same day as I but she had 1 knee by a different doctor done, the techs decided to make a contest with us and see who gets more strength and bend... I had 101 on my right leg Friday and 93 on the left...she had 100 on hers.. so I'm ahead woohoo! but I really do wish her all the luck and encouragement, it's tough with 1 or 2 knees :scare:no matter..
 
Janet said, "I was walking I got a shot of pain in my knee...."

Welcome to the wonderful world of recovery.......this is perfectly normal, Janet, and will probably happen to you many more times before it stops completely. I still get those sudden pains 10 1/2 months post op. They're there and take you by surprise and then they're gone----never know when the next one strike. [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 
Janet, thanks for the info on the deep water exercise class. I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought it would be a help. I'm at 10 weeks and I stopped icing when my PT ended 2 weeks ago. At this point I didnt think it would still be a help- not true?
 
Roxie, I did! You are going to be another superstar! I'm a stomach sleeper, but golly darn if it doesn't seem to trigger a foot problem when I do, so I'm back to tossing and turning as arms go numb or hips hurt! I have to say, I don't think it was fair of your PT to make it a competition, but at least you won!

Judy, I know, I know! It just caught me by surprise! Although, I have to say, lying here and massaging that sore spot, that has been quite hard, it seems much more pliable and soft, so maybe there is some progress in it. It's that fatty little spot below and to the outside of the kneecap. Or is that just me?
 
t4mepam said:
Janet, thanks for the info on the deep water exercise class. I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought it would be a help. I'm at 10 weeks and I stopped icing when my PT ended 2 weeks ago. At this point I didnt think it would still be a help- not true?

Not true! Icing will help as long as there is swelling and stiffness. I'm 15 weeks, still ice at different times of day, and expect to for at least three more months. I would tell your instructor what surgery you had and when. She may give you a heads up when you should modify something. If it seems too much, and the shallow end of the pool is not in use, you can tell her that you will just do some walking and stretching in the shallow end. And when you get home, elevate and ice! Enjoy the water!
 
Janet,
Don't feel alone, yesterday I started getting some of the quirky pains in my knee and have no idea why, I'm 15 mos out now.
 
Hmmph, 15 months? I guess it's not like buying a chair. They're always going to be a living work in progress. :-/

That softer squishy spot? It's just some extra swelling. Duh...
 
Janet, back at the pool this weekend and did swim six laps. That, the bicycle and a few machines to strengthen my legs. a gentle but good workout. I am, oh so slowly, getting my strength back. Good luck to you. You seem to be moving forward steadily. Hooray.
 
Nice! I know swimming would give me a much better total body workout, but the hair thing! Struggling with a swim cap isn't appealing, either. It's a long road, to heal first and then gently get the strength back, but it feels great when done right. Glad it's going well for you, too!
 
^Do what works for you. I know I should swim but it seems too time consuming for work days. :( And there's the hair issue.
I remember those quirky pains too--so glad I could come here for reassurance.
 
I decided to take today off, didn't go to the pool, didn't go to PT. i had a luncheon, and I could have left a little early to go to PT, but I've been really sore above the knee this week. I think it is from stepping something up at PT. so Monday to Friday will be a nice break to let everything settle down. I did go to the pool Tuesday, may Thursday.

This Tramadol is not letting me go easily. Taking 1/2 pill 2 times a day, you wouldn't think there would be withdrawal to just skip it, but I sure can tell. I guess I'm just going to really have to chart it and cut 1/2 to 1/4. I also switched from Celebrex to Ibuprofen this week. Trial and error...wish I didn't need anything, but I'm not there.
 
I hope you get that tramadol thing sorted out soon...I had to quit it cold turkey but it was better than the alternative! I hear you about still having to rest it and let the knee (knees) settle down, soon you will be able to go and go, not have to think about them. I think you are very brave and doing really well...
 
Janet, I'm nearly eight months out, and I find that most days when I'm teaching, I still need to take two naproxins. Not on weekends, so that's improvement. Have you been told to cut out the pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds? Sorry about the set back, but glad you to enjoy your luncheon.
 
juniper said:
Have you been told to cut out the pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds? Sorry about the set back, but glad you to enjoy your luncheon.

No, I haven't been told to stop anything. Last I saw my surgeon he gave me new prescriptions, which was Aug. 1st. I was to go back in 4-6 weeks, but between his schedule and mine, it will be 10 weeks when I see him next. I started the tramadol when I cut back the percocet, which I am now off completely. I see him Oct. 10, and would like to be off tramadol by then. But would like to get there without the withdrawal symptoms. The Celebrex and ibuprofen are interchangeable as anti-inflammatories. Advil gives me more pain control but Celebrex is more convenient. Actually, I'd like to stockpile the Celebrex for future vacations and busy times while my out of pocket is maxed out. It's $150 a month! So I'm taking tylenol and ibuprofen as my mainstay pain relievers right now. Plus that little piece of tramodol I guess.
 
Janet 2012, I too am trying to get ride of the pills but I also know to do it slow. Have to be carefull I don[t get into pain. My knees found out that other knees have names and they feel lonely not having a name.:sad: then my hip heard about it and it too wants a name. :yes!: Well I guess I have to come up with three names. :heehee: Isn't it great to be able to walk and do somethings like we use to do without hurting so bad? Take care and have a good weekend. :puppysmooze: tashia :bicycle1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom