Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, not feeling so great this morning. I've been awake with pain since 5, took pain meds at 6 and waited for them to kick in. No kick, still in pain. I think it must have been the pool walking. I walked forward, backward, sideways and zig zag with my knees locked and tightening up all those muscles to keep them locked while walking through the water. Never mind that I did this for 8 months before surgery without any soreness. Now I have shin splints! Good thing it's the weekend and hubby has much work to finish up. Nothing I need to do. That type of pool walking I think should actually be helpful in tightening up and stabilizing my loose knee, but I guess I need to start with less than I'm used to. (or used to be used to!). I haven't been up and walking around yet. Maybe I'll walk it off. Guess I'll go rustle up a cup of coffee.
 
Okay, not feeling so great this morning. I've been awake with pain since 5, took pain meds at 6 and waited for them to kick in. No kick, still in pain. I think it must have been the pool walking. I walked forward, backward, sideways and zig zag with my knees locked and tightening up all those muscles to keep them locked while walking through the water. Never mind that I did this for 8 months before surgery without any soreness. Now I have shin splints! Good thing it's the weekend and hubby has much work to finish up. Nothing I need to do. That type of pool walking I think should actually be helpful in tightening up and stabilizing my loose knee, but I guess I need to start with less than I'm used to. (or used to be used to!). I haven't been up and walking around yet. Maybe I'll walk it off. Guess I'll go rustle up a cup of coffee.


Hi Janet
Hope you are feeling better by now. I, too, went to the pool yesterday with PT and did all of those same things you mentioned . this was only my second appt with them and last night I was terribly uncomfortable. She told me I would be sore. I think the water lulls us into a feeling of normalcy and it's very easy to overdo it.
Hope your weekend is pain free or at least less painful.
 
Awe Janet I'm so sorry that you are in pain!:console2: I hope your meds kicked in by now and you're getting some relief! I guess when we try something that we haven't done in a while and we experience pain, the pain is part of our learning curve to recovery. Hopefully the next time you do it you won't have that much pain! I'll bet it was fun and wonderful while you were doing it though! You will win this game of recovery, no doubt my friend!:thumb: Stay well!:friends:
 
Yes, it was fun, can't wait to do it again next week! But maybe less. After a second dose of pain pills and a couple hours of icing and elevating I was able to take a sound two hour nap this afternoon after being up since five. Now up and a third dose of pain pills. Little more than discomfort, but it was new and enough to keep me from sleeping this morning. I hope it doesn't hang on like Becky's shin splints! At least it's good to know that what I'm doing in the pool is in line with PT since I was just winging it on my own. What a lost day. In bed, total rest, all day. At least I got dressed this morning.
 
Janet, I had a great pool day yesterday...swam my first laps. But your story is a good reminder that we have to keep readjusting our expectations and our activity level. I left the pool thinking, "Okay, and tomorrow I'll swim six laps, and the next time, it'll be eight." Maybe not. Hope you are back on the path to feeling great. It was a good start. I am wondering though about so much leg "tightening" as you described it. It might be good to check on that.
 
I guess any time we reintroduce some level of activity, it's a good idea to take it slow at first and see how it goes. It just seems so easy in the pool. My PT actually told me to do leg lifts in all directions with those same muscles clenched tight around the knee in order to help stabilize it, so I'm accomplishing the same thing, I think, by doing this in the pool while walking, using the water resistance instead of gravity to work the muscles. Difference being doing 10 or 20 reps on a table vs. two lengths of a 25 meter pool. I think it was a quantity issue. Today I feel back to normal, albeit with the same bit of increased swelling I've been feeling since I started back to PT. That could be the activity increasing it, or the down grade in meds I'm taking making me just feel it more. We backed off on some of the PT. She always says to speak up, and not do anything that feels like it is too much or seems like it is bothering me later. I'll be back in the pool tomorrow. I haven't been swimming laps 1) because I'd be concerned about snapping my knee (not literally, but the snap in the kick) and 2) I don't want my hair in the chlorine. Mostly number 2.
 
Hi Janet. I know just what you mean! The other, hubby asked if I wanted him to drop me off before he went to park the car and I said: "Those days are over." I'm glad things are going well for you, even with the little bubbles.
 
Hey Janet - good to hear your on the mend and ready to splash away again... I am looking forward to using my pool in about a week the doc says to continue my water therapy... hopefully heading home today... can hardly stand the excitement of being able to actually "Sleep" in my own bed!!

Roxie
 
PooShay said:
Hi Janet. I know just what you mean! The other, hubby asked if I wanted him to drop me off before he went to park the car and I said: "Those days are over." I'm glad things are going well for you, even with the little bubbles.

You're a better woman than me! I still let him drop me off if he offers, but I walk back to the car with him.
 
I was back in the pool yesterday and today. I tried to not do any one thing too much and have done fine with it. Plus it's been more like 40 minutes than an hour. The difference from before surgery is interesting. Before, walking in the pool is the only time I could walk pain free, so I loved it. Now I walk pain free. Walking in the water isn't as comfortable as walking otherwise because the water pressure makes me feel the swelling that is still in my knees more. It's a funny feeling. But I still love it and will continue. It's been nice to do some regular old stretching in the pool. I haven't done stretching in a long while. What I was surprised at was that I can still catch the heel strap of the pool sandals I wear and hold my foot up behind me to get a good quadriceps stretch. Feels good!
 
Janet, how long after your replacement did you go in the pool? I have to ask my OS again, after my hip he didn't want me in water, says it is a place of too many germs.
 
It was three months, but that was a matter of timing with my vacation and the pool closure for building renovations. I would have been allowed to go, at least according to the surgical coordinator, as soon as the incision was healed. Not for kicking, early on, but for walking. When I saw my surgeon at two months, he said to do what ever I wanted.
 
Congrats on your progress!
 
I'm showing some subtle improvement lately. Cookie Monster does not like stairs, up or down, so I must admit to usually leading with one foot, and using the rail. This week, while I've had a spot of pain, it has not been a stopper, and I've been able to do foot over foot if I remember. And... I've actually been doing some of it with no hands! Sometimes, anyway.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
things just creep up on you as you're getting better and better.
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 
Janet, don't you just love these milestones that we experience from time to time?! It really does lift your spirits up and makes you realize that there is life after knee replacements, a very good life indeed!

Stay well and positive my friend! :friends:
 
Janet, how long after your replacement did you go in the pool? I have to ask my OS again, after my hip he didn't want me in water, says it is a place of too many germs.
Debbie, My OS says I can start walking in the pool in anothher 2-3 weeks (so 4-5 weeks post-op) assuming the incision is all healed. I can't wait as my other knee is not so great and so walking in the water is the most comfortable for me.
 
what swimming stroke do you use Janet? I had some lessons to improve my crawl (free style) 'cos I thought breast stroke was bad for knees - any views anyone? Might start a new thread on this topic ... mmm:shrug:
 
I don't swim, I walk. Well, I DO swim, but I chose to walk. I don't want to get my hair in the chlorine! I also am hesitant to do any snap kicking, at least yet. But mostly it's the hair thing!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom