Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever I have in my foot feels more like a marble pushing through the top of the foot. Hurts on top when you press on the bottom. Hmm.

It's been four weeks since I was last at PT. My ROM was unchanged, but I felt strong. I've been walking on sand and up and down hills! By the time I got out of there, and skipping the icing mind you, I was there almost two hours! We all lost track of the time. She took time for measuring, time for working on soft tissues, taping, plus all the other stuff. I'm not sure I won't be feeling it tomorrow. I'd better go find the ice!
 
I'm feeling fine today after yesterdays return to PT, although I did wonder about the strange pulling feeling on my knees when I got up until I remembered that they were taped! As I'm weaning off Percocet again, I have switched from taking it during the day to taking it at bedtime. Someone recently mentioned on another thread about dreaming while taking Percocet. I've been dreaming more the last few days, and I think I'll miss the entertainment when I stop. This morning Part of my dream was having Brad Pitt sitting on my lap. We were just friends, but I told him I wouldn't kiss him because I hadn't brushed my teeth yet, so just hugged. Looking over his shoulder, I saw the shocked face of Real Housewife Countess Luann, surprised that I knew Brad. By the way, it was the clean shaven and short haired version of Brad. We're on a first name basis, apparently.
 
LOL!!!:rotfl: I'll have what she's having!!!:beg: I never had such awesome dreams! Maybe I'll start my drugs again!:heehee:

I was just about to write to you to fine out how you spent the night and when you woke up, if it was more painfull after starting PT after the long break, but then saw your post! You had me roaring with laughter! You could write a book with this stuff and maybe a movie or two with short series!:thumb:

I saw you mention taping before, and I remember having it done before my arthroscopic surgery many years ago, but I was wondering what benefit it has after knee replacement!

Thanks again for the super good laugh!!!:yes!:
 
Glad you enjoyed my dream, too! The taping is for scar tissue, to hold a small amount of tension on it to help breakdown fibrous tissue (I think) . I'm not sure it helps, but it doesn't hurt. Next time she'll tape it in the other direction probably. She just does it occasionally, and had to wait until after six weeks to do any taping. This time, it's a taut strip straight down my incision which was bent tight when she taped it. Blue racing stripes, I like to think.
 
Janet, I've been following your thread, you're doing great! I like the sound of those dreams
 
PT again today. I'm sweating this time around. She's given me a couple new things that I did not like, just to remind me that I'm not all that!
 
Week 12 today. I'm in an odd spot. I've been sleeping more comfortably on my stomach, but I think my feet over the end of the bed is inflaming what I think is a neuroma in Elmo's foot. Even with my orthotic shoes, I'm only able to walk on the heel of the foot. Not what I fixed my knees for. I guess it's time to see a podiatrist. : / peas on foot at the moment.

Today I start back to PT after a four week break. I don't feel like I've lost ROM, but we'll see I suppose. Most interested in getting soft tissue work and securing up the joint, especially Elmo. Spot of pain in Cookie doing steps still. I've scaled back the meds again since being back from vacation, and this time it feels better. Hope that holds with PT. i'm taking Percocet at bedtime for the gradual step down,




starting to break them in halves for more flexibility. Celebrex and Extra strength tylenol during the day, plus a tramadol in the morning. I'll




pop back in after PT!



Janet, sounds
Ike you are still doing great. Good luck going back to PT. I think of it as a love, hate relationship.

Does the tramadol work well for you? Have you experienced any side effects from it? I'm thinking of starting it soon as the Tylenol and Advil aren't working so well.
 
So did you have a neuroma? If so, and you ice (I did that when I had one) use one of those frozen mugs with liquid like you put in the freezer. They work great because you can roll you foot over it. My husband keeps several in the freezer and they are came in handy for either the bend of the knee or food icing. What was your ROM when you went back to PT?
My pt says I can get to 110 but that is't on my own. Feel like I won't get there.
On dreams. I find when I take vitamins (and I don't usually) that I have bazaar dreams that don't make a bit of senses. Your Brad Pitt dream though sounds great and who cares if that one doesn't make sense.

Has taping your scar tissue helped? I had an MUA about 3 weeks ago but seems stiff again.

Off to massage.
 
Dog Lover said:
Janet, sounds
Ike you are still doing great. Good luck going back to PT. I think of it as a love, hate relationship.

Does the tramadol work well for you? Have you experienced any side effects from it? I'm thinking of starting it soon as the Tylenol and Advil aren't working so well.

I'm not sure on the tramadol. I know yesterday I thought it sure wasn't doing anything and then found the pill hours later untaken! Doesn't work if you don't take it! Lol! When I first tried taking it, I took two and found it made me too sleepy, so now I am taking just one. It certainly isn't a night and day difference, but the fact that I felt worse yesterday than I have since changing my meds, and then found that I forgot to take it, probably means it is helping. Along with it, I'm taking Celebrex and extra strength Tylenol.
 
Cflower said:
So did you have a neuroma? If so, and you ice (I did that when I had one) use one of those frozen mugs with liquid like you put in the freezer. They work great because you can roll you foot over it. My husband keeps several in the freezer and they are came in handy for either the bend of the knee or food icing. What was your ROM when you went back to PT?
My pt says I can get to 110 but that is't on my own. Feel like I won't get there.
On dreams. I find when I take vitamins (and I don't usually) that I have bazaar dreams that don't make a bit of senses. Your Brad Pitt dream though sounds great and who cares if that one doesn't make sense.

Has taping your scar tissue helped? I had an MUA about 3 weeks ago but seems stiff again.

Off to massage.

I haven't been to the foot doctor yet. I know what triggers it and what relieves it, so am trying to control it that way. I stopped sleeping with that foot over the end of the bed and the next day it was better. I still need to check it out. I had one in the other foot years ago, which was treated and went away. Rolling my foot over something would trigger it, so I put the ice on top of my foot.

My ROM was the same when I went back as when I left. Actually, 118 and 120 (with help) but opposite knees. The 118 knee was feeling more swollen yesterday, so makes sense. I would really like to get to 130 (who wouldn't), but that might be a stretch. I was 120 and 130 before surgery though, so maybe it's possible for me. I had that one knee that was stuck at 90 until about 6 weeks, and it's up to 120 now, so there you go. That was my 130 knee pre surgery.

I'm not sure about the taping. I think it is suppose to work on the under lying tissue, rather than the surface scar, so hard to tell. I had a hard painful knot at the top of one of the scars which she worked on with her fingers. That spot is almost gone, pain is pretty much gone, and that was the stopper on that knee that kept it at 90 for three weeks. I think the tape is suppose to be an extension of the force she puts on it with her fingers. I do some of the same with my own fingers. It's basically myofacial release.

I hope you get to a more satisfactory point with your knee given enough time!
 
Your dreams are priceless! I have movie dreams where I dream whole plots and special effects and that's without drugs, wonder what they will be like with them, haha.

I hope your foot gets some relief, don't need that as well as the knees.
 
3 MONTH Update: It's the day after Labor Day and the unofficial end of the summer of my knee replacement surgery! While I hate to see the summer go, I am looking forward to enjoying some of the fall activities. Later this month is the Victorian Festival, one of many community events in our small historic downtown. I remember last year, being dropped off on the closest corner while my husband looked for parking, and standing there in pain and crying, knowing that I would not be able to stroll through town with my family. I'll be able to do that this year! Lots to look forward to, even now. At three months, I'm still doing PT, still having aches and stiffness, still putting extra effort into getting out of seats and up and down stairs. Still elevating and icing (but maybe getting lax). But I no longer feel like a patient. Knees are still an issue, but it's not the only thing I'm thinking about!

I have been so, so lucky that I have not, thus far, had complications, even with a rough start. Maybe it's not luck, maybe that is the norm that most experience, but I know there are some, here especially, for which things don't go as smoothly. I do believe that we will all pretty much end up in the same place at the end of a year. I do know that at three months, I may still have problems come up. But for now, I am so thankful for this surgery. So happy about the decisions I made. So grateful for the support here at Bonesmart. So optimistic about the future!!
 
Really nice update, Janet. Here's a pin for you to wear:
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Keep it going!
 
Janet, great report! Great attitude! You are a great inspiration to those that follow you!:thumb: It looks like your new knees will serve you well!
Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Thanks Judy and Jacky. Time is marching on, isn't it? Three months seems like a milestone, as does 6, 9 and 12. I think about what I'll be doing at those points in the timeline. How I'll be doing it. Six months and I'll be getting ready for the holidays, including visiting the mall because I can. Nine months and we'll be on a get away trip to Florida, and I'll be able to walk to the waters edge or walk out on a pier. Twelve months and I'll be golfing and won't need to take a drop because I'll be able to get in and out of the sand trap. Finally get to know my new clubs. Meanwhile, back at PT today and I moved the bike seat down another notch and the Nustep up another resistance level. I still haven't started back to the pool now that the new semester has started, but hope to get myself out the door and into the pool soon!

Side note, I've been watching both conventions, Obama's turn this week. I keep seeing clips of him running down the steps off a plane or taking the steps up to a stage two at a time. Dang, he has good knees!
 
I FEEL GREAT!! That's how I always feel, in capitals, when I've been to the pool! First time back in the pool today in four months. I had to push myself to go, the pool has been reopened for almost two weeks, but why did I doubt? I love, love, love being in the pool! Now I'm elevating and icing before I go to PT. I was a little more swollen and sore yesterday, so I think I'll back the PT down a notch, especially with the pool on the same day. By the way, the walk down the long hall to get to the locker room was painless for the first time!
 
That sounds great Janet! You are doing fantabulous!:thumb: Being able to walk down a long hall without pain is a great feeling isn't it!:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom