Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another, well, I couldn't do THIS before! It's still difficult to go up and down steps, so I found myself avoiding the steps in the yard and actually walking up and down the hill next to the steps. No pain! Before, I would have avoided slopes completely! I wonder, however, how long the overall achiness of the legs will last, especially during the night. I bet that's the last thing to go. :-/
 
Janet, I'm 9 months post-op and stairs going down are still hard, but I have no achiness in the night from my legs any more. I may wake in the night, but it's not my legs or knees---it's just me! I haven't had that achiness since about month 7.
 
That's encouraging! As long as there IS an end, i can wait it out. Just not sleeping well in the meantime.
 
Hi Janet,
It was lovely to read about your holiday with the grandchildren. How great that you can do things again now! You're doing so well!

I'm leaving today for a long journey from New Zealand to the UK (2 flights, one of 10+ hours and one of 13+ hours). We'll be spending time with our daughter and son and their spouses and family. We'll be away from home for 2 months - big thank you to our house (and cat) sitter.

We're going to be looking after our 2 grand-daughters for 5 days, while my son and his wife go to New York, for a friend's wedding. The little girls are almost-three (going on 10!) and 11 months. They'll keep us on our toes! I'll be sure to take "Nana-naps" while they have their daytime rests.

At almost 9 months after my TKR, I feel that the new knee will hold up OK and I've been practicing getting down onto and up off the floor, as those littlies spend a lot of time down there!

Best wishes,
Celle
 
Celle, what a trip to look forward to! But those long flights! We lived in several countries before my husband retired, but as much as everyone said they loved it, I was never willing to move Down Under or to the Far East because of the Looong trips home! 13 hours door to door was as bad as it got, and that was enough! That's great that you can get up and down off the floor! That's where all the action is! I usually find something to sit on so that I can reach the floor. By the time the next one comes along, I'll be ready, hopefully! You'll be tired after five days on your own with the girls, but it will be fun, too! Hopefully, the 11 month old isn't walking yet!
 
You'll be tired after five days on your own with the girls, but it will be fun, too! Hopefully, the 11 month old isn't walking yet!

Yes, we're planning a rest in a hotel after looking after the grand-babies! the 11-monther isn't walking yet, but she's a speed-crawler and into everything. Her older sister told us (on Skype) last night: "I'm just not at all pleased with 'Lucy-Lou' right now - she's been getting into all my toys!" Such fun!
 
Celle said:
Yes, we're planning a rest in a hotel after looking after the grand-babies! the 11-monther isn't walking yet, but she's a speed-crawler and into everything. Her older sister told us (on Skype) last night: "I'm just not at all pleased with 'Lucy-Lou' right now - she's been getting into all my toys!" Such fun!

How cute! You can hear that little British accent in that!
 
Stomach sleeping, revisited. It's been a while since I've tried sleeping on my stomach, but did so last night and slept in more comfort than other nights. Woke up more refreshed and got up less stiff and achy. Nice! Then again, I did take Percocet at bedtime, but I was doing that on vacation as well. I'll take the moments!
 
That's great Janet, another milestone conquered! :thumb: You're hitting them left and right! Enjoy all those moments! :friends:
Have a nice weekend!
 
Thanks Jacky, it's a hot one today, so am taking it easy inside. Just registered for the aquatics class that lets me use the pool for open swim periods. I wonder if I will be as motivated to go as before. Even though I had the painful walk to get to the pool, it was so wonderful to be able to walk in the water without pain. It was like a drug. I kept going back for the feel good hour I got out of it! But now I can walk with no pain, so it will be more because it is good for me. We'll see! The sauna helps get me there as well. The pool is reopening Monday after being closed for four months for building renovations. I also go back to PT on Monday. I'll have to figure out a schedule that works for both the pool and PT.
 
Stomach sleeping, revisited. It's been a while since I've tried sleeping on my stomach, but did so last night and slept in more comfort than other nights. Woke up more refreshed and got up less stiff and achy. Nice! Then again, I did take Percocet at bedtime, but I was doing that on vacation as well. I'll take the moments!

Janet .... another great topic you addressed, I was just thinking about this this morning after I woke, I am a side or mostly stomach sleeper myself and I was wondering how difficult it was to not accidentally try rolling over in the middle of the night... plus sleeping on my back will more than likely drive my husband to the spare room... :-(
 
You won't likely accidentally roll over - it takes too much darn effort to get there! I first tried sleeping on my side and stomach early on, just to get off my back. It isn't something you need to avoid. It's more a matter of comfort. I had 0 extension almost from the start, so wasn't on restrictions there. Was instructed to keep a pillow between my knees for side sleeping, which I still do for comfort. But side sleeping gets my legs aching after awhile. A circulation thing is my guess. When I've tried sleeping on my stomach, it's been a bit of a pull on the backs of my knees, so would put something small under my ankles (and I have to have my feet over the end of the bed). But last night it was just comfortable! Don't be afraid to move around to get comfortable. Sleep is important! I find that if I have to sleep on my back, having my upper body propped up a little with pillows, and a pillow long ways under each leg keeps me from feeling flat and I actually can sleep that way, and my legs hurt the least that way. But I get mighty tired of being on my back, so I roll on my side, then the other side, then back... Sleeping on my stomach was nice last night!
 
Janet,

I am so glad you guys had such a wonderful time, I can tell that next year will be even better. Christmas should be fun this year fer sure.

I am a tummy sleeper almost exclusively, can't go to sleep unless on my tummy. Because of this I got used to being on my knees and could tolerate a kneeling position fairly early on. I'm not saying that kneeling is fun but I was able to roll over and kneel to help myself out of the tub. I sometimes just crave a tub bath and will pay the price of kneeling to get out. At least now I can get out of the tub with out fear of getting stuck. My first attempt at tub baths almost had some drama.

Bottom line if you sleep best on your tummy you will find a way to sleep on your tummy.

ChrisO
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
And you will begin to have more and more of them. Keep up the good work.
 
Week 12 today. I'm in an odd spot. I've been sleeping more comfortably on my stomach, but I think my feet over the end of the bed is inflaming what I think is a neuroma in Elmo's foot. Even with my orthotic shoes, I'm only able to walk on the heel of the foot. Not what I fixed my knees for. I guess it's time to see a podiatrist. : / peas on foot at the moment.

Today I start back to PT after a four week break. I don't feel like I've lost ROM, but we'll see I suppose. Most interested in getting soft tissue work and securing up the joint, especially Elmo. Spot of pain in Cookie doing steps still. I've scaled back the meds again since being back from vacation, and this time it feels better. Hope that holds with PT. i'm taking Percocet at bedtime for the gradual step down, starting to break them in halves for more flexibility. Celebrex and Extra strength tylenol during the day, plus a tramadol in the morning. I'll pop back in after PT!
 
Great 12 week report Janet! Ouch on the Neuroma!:hairpulling: Maybe your PT could take a look at it and know of a way to relieve it. I've never had one, but was reading up on it and they said it's like walking on a marble. That does not sound pleasant at all!

Good luck at PT!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom