Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kim! Amusement park??? I went to the grocery store today, for the first time! And it was a small grocery store. I was hesitant to do that! I hope you've recuperated!
 
Janet,

You have been the sensible one! When I read yesterday was your first trip to the grocery store I thought "Wow". I have been running around the stores with one crutch and the basket. I always have store employees ask if I would like an electric cart, but I tell them no. Last night I was bending down to pet Brandy when my knee popped. My husband was across the room, but he could hear it also! Pain has been my companion since then. I wish I would slow down but when I make strides, I start going too fast. I need to follow your example! :)
 
RestAssured said:
Janet,

You have been the sensible one! When I read yesterday was your first trip to the grocery store I thought "Wow". I have been running around the stores with one crutch and the basket. I always have store employees ask if I would like an electric cart, but I tell them no. Last night I was bending down to pet Brandy when my knee popped. My husband was across the room, but he could hear it also! Pain has been my companion since then. I wish I would slow down but when I make strides, I start going too fast. I need to follow your example! :)

I agree with you, you do need to follow my example! Lol! If I don't have to do it, I don't. Hubby is happy to go to the store, etc. There is plenty of time in the future for all that. This time now is for my knees. I am happy to report, however, that after sitting at lunch with out of town friends, grocery shopping and packing up all the boxes, etc. for the vacation house, I was no worse for it and was not in any increased discomfort last night or today. Did some more packing today, icing right now, still have to pack the coolers when it's time to leave. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive. I usually do the driving on road trips (more relaxing than if my husband is driving, if you get my drift!) I may try driving, especially with cruise control. We'll stop once to stretch the legs. I'll still be around Bonesmart to check up in you all!
 
302 stairs???? More fun??? Have you been doubling up on your meds???:scratch: OMG did the ground stretch as they were putting up the new stairs?

I'm with you about doing the driving on road trips, my husband is one of these people who like to nap as he drives and I try to get through to him by telling (yelling) him, NOW IS NOT A GOOD TIME!!! So therefore I don't trust him much when it comes to driving while I'm in the car.:beg: And cruise control leaves me too much out of control!
 
Glad you didn't suffer and can increase your doings. I agree, less stressful when I'm driving too. But our cruise control went out on both cars! That bums me out, I love driving now more so than ever to take the place of walking. Be careful on your trip and keep relaxing.
 
Vacation bliss here! The good, the bad and the ugly. The good is, today at the beach, I walked down to the waters edge without any pain at all! And the beach steps are really easy as well! The last time I stepped on sand, it was excruciating! The bad, I don't think I can get into the hot tub. : (. The ugly, I can't sit on the toilet here!
 
Oh dear! Can someone help you in and out of the hot tub. I think a hot tub would be glorious. The toilet, well I am sure you will have to figure out how to make that work... Hope you manage those difficulties and have a great time.
 
Janet, some of the things we forget about when we go on vacation, huh! The thought would not have crossed my mind about toilet heights before surgery, but after, oh yes! The cabin that my hubby and I love to rent in Ruidosa went back and installed a tall toilet because we go there at least 4 times a year and we made the suggestion. There wasn't anything around it to grab onto to get up. I hope you can get those issues resolved and have a wonderful vacation! :happydance:
 
I actually had planned to take my seat from home, then decided I'd just manage. We could not have fit a roll of toilet paper in the car, much less the seat! I'll have to resolve this somehow!
 
Run to the nearest CVS (drugstore) and get a toilet raiser, I got one for $35. Lifesaver. It's worth it to not ruin your vacation. Then clean it up nice and take it to the local goodwill, or mail it home, or leave it there.
:tada:
Why can't you use the hot tub? I've wondered if the hot tub would be good or bad after healing from surgery. Glad to hear the steps were good and the beach!
 
I'd have to go to a bigger town to get one, but it might be worth it. I can't use the toilet in my room, but can manage in the one down the hall. Better than the reverse straddle, squat and mop I was trying to do! (To much info, I know, and something I've never done before in my life!)
 
Janet-
We have the tall toilets installed at home but my husband was insistent that we add the handrail unit when I came home. We got so used to have arms on the toilet that we didn't want to remove them! He finally took them off about 3 weeks ago but on a recent trip to my daughters I sat down and didn't realize how looooooooww a normal toilet is when you have two new knees, getting up was a challenge, they heard me laughing and asked if I need some assistance. The things you never think about when you have normally working knees, right?! Enjoy your vacation!
 
I'd have to go to a bigger town to get one, but it might be worth it. I can't use the toilet in my room, but can manage in the one down the hall. Better than the reverse straddle, squat and mop I was trying to do! (To much info, I know, and something I've never done before in my life!)
Janet, that's quite a dilemma you got yourself into! Now you've painted quite a picture with that "reverse straddle, squat and mop" trick.:rotfl: I hope get some resolve soon, cause you can't hold it for the whole vacation.:umm:
 
The mop part is due to the inefficiency of the whole thing. I'll just use the one down the hall. Same toilet, but better grip. But the part I'm really, really geeked about is that i can walk in the sand without pain, just like a regular person! And my slides work in the sand so my foot won't hurt, so I can actually take a walk on the beach! Really exciting stuff...
 
I'm still thinking about the hot tub. I think i've schemed a plan to get in. But I wonder, with all the icing we depend on, will the hot water increase the inflammation?
 
The walking in the sand is what makes me nervous, but I look forward to giving it a try in Sept. when we go on vacation.
I am so happy to that you are able to do it with no pain.:yay: That's the best!:thumb: Isn't great to feel like a regular person again! Enjoy your vacation!:friends:
 
I don't think it will increased the inflammation. We had a hot tub at our last house, which we sold last year and every time I used it my knees felt better. Temp was automatic at 102*, but for me it was too hot I felt like a lobster cooking in there, so I would bring the temp down to 100* which was much more comfortable. If I were you I would try it once and if it felt okay than you're home free! Good luck!:thumb:
 
I'm still thinking about the hot tub. I think i've schemed a plan to get in. But I wonder, with all the icing we depend on, will the hot water increase the inflammation?

Yes I've wondered that myself. I love hottubs in the cold winter. I will be sad if I can't use one this winter. I hope you can get to the bigger town, make an event of it for dinner or something...
 
KayeKaye said:
Yes I've wondered that myself. I love hottubs in the cold winter. I will be sad if I can't use one this winter. I hope you can get to the bigger town, make an event of it for dinner or something...

The bigger town is only 15 minutes away actually, but I'm doing pretty well down the hall. I took a good nap this afternoon while everyone was off to the bait shop and coffee shop. Trying to be mindful that I'm still healing. I realized today that for the first time I'm actually Not thinking of my knees constantly. And I walked down the stone steps and back up without a railing or thinking I couldn't do it. And James caught his first fish ever!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
up and down steps with no rail knowing you could do it!!!! I really believe, Janet, that they way you've gone about your recovery has been stellar.
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
No pushing, no rushing, just taking each day as it comes with a slow easy pace. And look how far you've come in just a couple of months---just remarkable!

I'm sure I've said it before, but I really feel you are the poster woman for the BoneSmart way to recovery.

[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Enjoy the rest of your vacation with your wonderful new knees.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom