Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChrisO said:
You have been so good and it has done you well. Happy Birthday and Have a wonderful vacation. Where are you guys going? Chris O

We rent a house in Saugatuck, Michigan, a beach town on Lake Michigan. The kids and grandkids all come. I'll be able to take it easy as much as I need to. I need to find a foldable leg rest for the beach.
 
Sounds deligtful and cool! The sand might prove to be a little unstable, be sure to have a firm hand on a strong shoulder when walking too and from the beach. ChrisO
 
Happy belated Birthday Janet. Enjoy your vacation at the beach:egypdance: . I so look forward to my next trip to the beach when I can walk without pain and enjoy it. My last trip to the beach is what made me decide it was time for surgery, I had to sit on the balcony and look at the ocean.
 
Sand is such a killer, isn't it? It will be interesting to see how I do. There are beach steps down, maybe 20, and then usually a spot to set up just a few steps away. I can't remember the last time I took a walk on the beach! Not this year yet. And yes, the sun will shine, I'm pretty sure!
 
Watching mens Olympic Sculling - all I can see is knees!
Just like me at Sadlers Wells last week, really steamy ballet done on a table top & all I could think was 'how does she bend her knees THAT MUCH?' Knees - they are everywhere!
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012 [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 
Rita, do you think there's any chance that we are obsessed with knees [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012 on this forum? I thought not.:rotfl:
 
Hi Janet, it looks like you had a great day with the grandkids! Great picture!:thumb: I take it hubby got home safe and sound!
Pad Thai is awesome, but to bad you had bad feeling afterward!:sick:
Sounds like you have a great vacation planned and at the beach to boot!:friends: Yes, you are so right about the sand being tricky but maybe if you take your cane just in case it won't be so scary. I know that's what I'm going to do the next time we go.
It's good to hear that your aches and pains are subsiding a bit. :yes!: I saw your "badge of honor" scars yesterday and I thought, wow they're pretty small and you're healing very well!:thumb: Enjoy your last day at PT!
 
So much for less achy. Really feeling it today. I think celebrex and tylenol are not yet enough, so may go back to a Percocet once or twice a day. That's what trial and error is all about. The last day of PT was okay, although I wasn't very comfortable. The bike, however, was interesting. The seat was set on 4, and it was slow going at first. (Stiff and achy as I was feeling.) Then it just went. Since it was the last day, I had the tech move it down to 3 to see if I could do that. It felt just like 4. So then, lets try 2 and see if I can get either knee around. I did three minutes at 2! For my long legs, that's saying something! I could have tried 1, but I didn't want to hurt myself!
 
You're right about trial and error, thank god we're in control of that! I hope you get you pain under control. That was very smart of you not to push yourself further on the bike, however you really pushed the envelope on today's session! So the rest of the week you can concentrate on your upcoming vacation. :friends:
 
Check up with the OS today. He said keep up the good work, we couldn't hope for more at eight weeks, and gave me somewhat of a cautionary great SO FAR, with a look that said, you never know what's down the road. He said I can do whatever I want, knowing full well, I'm sure, that my knees will decide what I do and do not want to do yet. I asked him about walking in the sand and he said go have fun in the sand. So I'm not going to hurt it anyway. I asked for and got another round of PT dated for after vacation. So, a satisfactory check up and I see him again in September.
 
:yay: Great report Janet! I like the sound of, go have fun in the sand, you are so close to a very nice vacation! Just think now you can focus on relaxing and not on, when am I going to get my new knees! Have a great time! :friends:
 
You know, we've talked here about when was the moment you knew you were ready, that you made the decision to get it done instead of just thinking about it. My moment was on this vacation last year, in a single step away from tucking the grandkids into bed. I remember thinking, That's it! As a matter of fact, I was there again for an overnight in March, and vividly remember the pain of each step trying to walk across the street to dinner. So the snapshots of time spent in Saugatuck over the last nine years show me the decline of my knee, and then knees. It's a place of clear decision and a yardstick of measurement. I don't assume that I'll be able to do everything I used to do this year, but just wait until next year! Who knows, those 282 steps up Mt. Baldy that the kids love to do might be in my future someday! (or maybe up to the first bench)
 
Wow Janet, what a great way to remember the reason why you had your BTKR done! When you get there this time your mind will flash back to last years vacation and you'll be so thankful to have the surgery behind you, and a clearer vision of what is yet to come.:thumb: I am so happy for you and the progress you've made!:friends: Just think next year at this time you will be that much futher ahead in your recovery and who knows those 282 steps up Mt Baldy could very well be in your near future although I must admit, them there's a whole lot of stairs:yikes:
 
Lol! Them there's IS a whole lot of stairs! They like to climb the stairs, and then go down the other side across the dunes to the beach. Ah, youth! But they can only go with an adult. I reckon it never will be me, knees or not! I like breathing too much!
 
Ahhhhh! Breathing!!!!! Another major factor in the world of aging! I was watching a video on line about those 282 stairs and I was out of breath just watching this guy going down those stairs I can't fathom climbing them! I think I lost 5 lbs during that 5 minute video!:whistle:
 
Jacky48 said:
Ahhhhh! Breathing!!!!! Another major factor in the world of aging! I was watching a video on line about those 282 stairs and I was out of breath just watching this guy going down those stairs I can't fathom climbing them! I think I lost 5 lbs during that 5 minute video!:whistle:

Lol! I'll have to look that up!
 
I had my first post op pedicure today (no cutting) and it was completely comfortable. Wasn't sure when I'd be able to bend my knees enough. I remember a time when it was so painful to try to hold my knees up there bent!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom