Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still thinking about the hot tub. I think i've schemed a plan to get in. But I wonder, with all the icing we depend on, will the hot water increase the inflammation?

Hi Janet

Just got back from OS visit today. Am also going on vacation this weekend and he told me absolutely no hot tub as it will increase swelling immensely. Went to PT after his visit and just "innocently " asked her about a hot tub and she said don't do it due to swelling. She said if I really had to do it, ice,ice, ice after.

I am definitely bringing the toilet seat, couldn't do it w/ o. Sadly, I won't be going to the beach, too soon for me, and much too far even though we are right on the beach. Will have to look from afar. Do plan to go into pool though. Hope you have a great time.
 
Hi hope this helps. I remember reading in the book, Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation , that there is a section about hot tubs. The authors give many examples and pictures of exercises in the hot tub. They also discuss the issue of hot and cold therapy. It depends on what stage you are in the recovery. Ice is best of course at the early stages but heat can be beneficial later on. I would never tell you to do anything that your doctor has told you not to do. I remember that my doctor gave me the ok to go swimming at 6 weeks. At that time I did pool and hot tub. The hot tub felt great and I didn' t have any swelling after.
 
No hot tub yet. i think I'll probably skip it all together. Yesterday I worked my knee a little more than it cared for, it hurt during the night and felt more swollen this morning. I spent most of the day with it up and iced a lot. It feels better tonight but I'll take it easy tomorrow as well. Have to pace myself!
 
Janet, I hope your knees feel better tomorrow! I meant to ask you before, how was the ride to your vacation site and how did your knees react? I am expecting a trip in Sept. to the coast of Maine and it's about a 3-4 hour drive, so I was wondering what to expect.
I hope your weather is nice and sunny, and you're enjoying your time away.:friends:
 
Jacky48 said:
Janet, I hope your knees feel better tomorrow! I meant to ask you before, how was the ride to your vacation site and how did your knees react? I am expecting a trip in Sept. to the coast of Maine and it's about a 3-4 hour drive, so I was wondering what to expect.
I hope your weather is nice and sunny, and you're enjoying your time away.:friends:

The drive here usually takes less than 2 1/2 hours, but we had construction traffic, so it was more like three hours. I did the driving and since we were behind in time, I didn't take any stop and stretch breaks. The drive didn't bother me at all. My knees were a little tired after the day, but I think it was the totality of it - getting ready to leave, driving, getting unpacked, cleaning up after dinner... I didn't carry anything or do the cooking, but it certainly was more activity than I've had in a while. There were 13 people here that night! All in all, I'm doing well on this vacation, and able to do more than I imagined when I first scheduled my surgery! It's been sunny and nice until today. Two days of this and it will be nice again, hopefully.
 
Wow, 13 people is quite a group! I'm glad you're enjoying you vacation. These next couple of day will give you a chance to rest more, hopefully, and then more fun in the sun! Enjoy!:friends: And thanks for the info about the ride.
 
I am going to ask my OS again, but last year after my hip replacement my OS told me that hot tubs and swimming pools aren't the best thing anymore, and I am talking about after the incision is all healed up. He said any little cut on your body could be an entrance for bacteria. That really sucks as we winter in AZ and our RV park has a nice swimming pool and hot tub. I think my OS wants to pack my in bubble wrap. So after the knee gets done next week, I will ask again, maybe he forgot what he told me.
 
Debbie, my OS hasn't given such a restriction, but there is a point to that, and I will pay attention to my skin that I don't get in the pool with any skin abrasions or such.

A rainy cool day here and everything hurt today with the change in the weather. We have friends visiting for a couple of days. The rain held off for a few hours, so the guys went golfing and I showed Paula around Saugatuck by car, then walked to the coffee shop and went to a few art galleries. I could not have done that last year! I am so excited about the prospects for next year, when I won't be thinking about my knees other than Look At Me, Look What I Can Do!
 
That is so right Janet! A year from now you will marvel at how well you do everything and never think of your knees because they will work flawlessly and be pain free! :happydance:
 
Oh, what a difference a day makes! After two days of rain, the sun came out this morning and everything hurt less. Had a much better day than yesterday! Spirits lifted dramatically.
 
Janet, that's fantastic! I'm so happy that your feeling better! :friends: I was wondering why I was feeling more achy today and now I realize that we now have the rain, my turn! Tomorrow is another day. :thumb:
Coffee shop and art galleries, now that's awesome! :friends:
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and vacation! :yahoo:
 
Just been taking a virtual tour of Saugatuck, it's spectacularly beautiful. The wonders of technology! I'm sure I saw you eating a Gourmet Ice Cream, or was it on the ferry? Hope you are having a wonderful time x
 
Janet,

I just wanted to check in and see how your recovery was going. The last time we communicated was just around the time of surgery. Can't believe its been six weeks for you already. I hope you are doing well.

Orthodoc
 
Janet,

It sounds like you are having a wonderful vacation and the way things are going next year you are going to be leading the line to the beach.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week.

ChrisO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom