TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the tramadol work better for you than narcotics? I can't remember whether you can or cannot take narcotics!
Well, being a synthetic form of morphine, Tramadol is actually a narcotic but not an opiate as it's not made from the root form (opium). But having been given oromorph and oxycontin in hospital, I hated it as it made me feel icky and muddled. Tramadol doesn't do that to me.
 
Josephine, so sorry you are going through this - I sincerely hope you feel better soon!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have to admit that Tramadol did not do it for me. I had oxycontin 10 mg for 10 days with 5mg of Percoset every four hours. I did take half every two hours for the first week. Then at my 2 week checkup I switched to Lortab hydrocodone every 4-6 hours. At 4 weeks, I began to get tramadol and tylenol 3.
 
For sure things don't suit everybody all the time! We's all individuals!
 
@Josephine ... I haven't been here for a while and got a shock to see this thread. Had I known you were TKR bound I would have written to wish you well! Thank you for posting all the details, good and bad and neutral, for us, even when feeling bad. I'm so glad you've had an upturn and I do hope the clunking marble sound doesn't turn out to be anything. From what you have posted (in ref to pain meds) you are living proof that no two surgeries are alike. Please take care.
 
I would so easily become addicted to tramadol. It works its SSRI magic on me very strongly, immediately. I was given some a couple of years pre-hip, and knew that I would want more and more of "feeling like everybody else probably always does". Scares me. Percoset, otoh, is very self limiting. After a couple of weeks if loopy silly buzz, the charm wears off :lol:
@Peaches hey there!! Hope you are doing well :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Whenever I take Tramadol, I can't tell that it does anything for me at all, pain relief or any kind of a good feeling. Hydocodone did it for me!
 
Yes,I know some people may have a problem with strong pain killers, also things like Valium and Atavan, but statistics show they are very much in the minority. I took Tramadol for 3 months with my last knee though it's unlikely I will need to do that this time as I am already missing doses because the pain is reducing - and I'm only 3 weeks today!

I would also report that my flexion seems to have increased to about 110+ as of this morning and I have done ZERO exercises though I have actually done about 5 heels slide throughout this period just to see how things were progressing! Now I'm not advocating this for everybody as it's entirely possible I've just been incredibly lucky but it does show that, given the chance, our bodies are perfectly capable of returning things to normal without any 'help' from us!
 
Hi Josephine,
I'm so glad that things are going well for you now. :)

Just walking around the house, looking after yourself, probably provides a certain amount of informal exercise, even if you don't do formal PT.

I didn't do formal PT, nor heel slides as such, either, but when I'm sitting at the computer I bend my knee back under the chair. Just lately (at about 4 months) I have found that the new TKR now bends just as far as the older TKR.

Keep up the continued good progress.
Best wishes. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Hi Josephine

I completely agree with your post. When I first had my TKR I has more problems because of over zealous enhanced recovery PT's, who had me doing stuff way before I should have. I remember you saying no,No,no, too much!

You are a living testament to the mantra of take it easy, in your own time and you'll heal. Believe me I shall adopt this with my next TKR.

Keep up the great recovery, I know you had a rough time recently and I hope you're coming through it ok.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I expect most of you have heard the old saying "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"? Well, today was the proof of that!

Yesterday my flexion measured at around 110. This morning I woke early-ish and turned over in bed, curling up and wrapping my legs round one another as you do. I was startled into full wakefulness by the realisation that my left leg had a more normal feel about it than before. No tightness or discomfort, no restriction. I later measured it with my measuring stick and overnight it's increased to 123! I am flabbergasted, stunned, delighted and intensely satisfied! So much I feel moved to quote another little homily which, with a stretch of imagination, might compare ...

Little Bo Peep had lost her sheep and didn't know where to find them.
Leave them alone and they'll come home, bringing their tails behind them.

I hope you get the analogy!
 
Josephine, you GO, girl!! That is fabulous about flexion and fewer pain meds. You'll be cutting up the rug before we know it! :) :)



My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Way to go Josephine!! Your recovery is going well now. It's amazing how quickly your body can adapt isn't it? I'm 8 weeks out as of Monday and, besides some swelling in the evening when I've done a lot, you'd never know I've had a knee replacement. As you, of all people, it's a long process but the first days of "normal" make the rest seem like a sunny spring day!
 
I hope you get the analogy!

[Bonesmart.org] Josephine's knee story
:rotfl: very, very funny---and oh, so true!
 
Hi Josephine How wonderful you are doing so well and how true our bodies know what to do. How amazing you are bending so great just proves the method you are using is the best way. The only way and how much better that way is for both our knees and our selves. Best wishes and congratulations such a short time and how great your recovery is going. An inspiration for all to read and see that doing it the right way pays off so much better. Nice to see things are going so well and wishing you all the best. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom