Guest viewing is limited

TKR Josephine's knee story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two steps forward, one step back! At least you know it's all part of the process. Take care!
 
Quite possibly,two knees in one year is enough to send anyone round the bend :heehee: Xxx
 
You're doing really well, Josephine. :yes: :SUNsmile:
I'm sorry you had a bad day, but at least you're over that particular hump now. Two steps forward and one step back seems to happen to most of us.

I see on another thread that you may be planning to try driving. I tried getting in the car and practicing working the pedals (with the engine turned off) for a couple of days before I felt confident enough to drive.
 
Oh, I'm okay on that, Caryl. I drive an automatic so left leg is pretty much redundant.
 
I thought the insurance companies didn't like us driving before six weeks?
 
@Ellejay I read as long as you can do an emergency stop you're ok to drive......though maybe different insurance companies have different rules x
 
An automatic certainly makes it easier, Josephine!

As for insurance, I think it depends on the insurance company. The factor that seems to be common to all is that you must be off the heavy-duty narcotics. Some require approval from your surgeon.
 
My brother had ankle surgery and was feeling cooped up after about two weeks at home. Decided it was the perfect opportunity to do some research at the local library. He began to park and his car went into the exterior library wall. They thought a bomb had gone off! Needless to say he and his insurance were not happy --not to speak of the library....
 
My usual route into town or the supermarket involves going past at least three schools. That made me very cautious, because I was scared that I might hit a child. I practiced hitting the emergency brakes many times before I actually drove.
 
Jo, that roller coaster graphic is perfect! We need to keep that as most of us go through that ride in our recoveries!!! Hope you're feeling better today.
 
Re driving, I think I had to get my OS's permission to keep my insurance company happy, but as I didn't see him until the six week check up that meant six weeks without the car, which for a LTKR and an automatic car was a nonsense.
 
I just asked my PT and he said if you can move your feet fast enough go for it. But he recommended practicing in a parking lot first. I did an emergency stop in my drive way and all was good. No mention of insurance requirements, my expectation is if you were 12 weeks out and had an accident that was your fault and the insurance company became aware that you had a knee replacement they would try to squirm out of paying. Please note that I'm talking driving an automatic.
 
@Josephine that roller coaster is awesomely perfect. I am sorry you had such pain :( let down your guard for a day and WHAM , the roller coaster snaps your neck. I do hope your ride levels out sooner rather than later :)
And so glad no more upset tummy :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Not so long ago I phoned about 4 different insurance companies including AA, Churchill, One Direct and Admiral and asked them what their stand was in these cases. All said they had no policy but relied on the common sense of their clients not to drive if they didn't feel fit enough but that it would in no way invalidate a policy.

Had another rough day. Knee very hot and painful. Feeling very yucky, mouth like the bottom of a bird cage and a mouthful of food or drink made me very nauseous. So rang doctor who made a house call and examined leg. Is pretty sure it's neither a DVT or infection but just 'tissue kinetics'. What? Never heard that one before! But apparently it's the scientific term for the mechanism of controlled cell deletion, otherwise known by thee and me as healing! Still I was relieved to hear he was pretty confident it's neither of our most feared nightmares. But he had been prepared to phone the surgeon and pack me off to hospital as an emergency had he thought infection was a possibility.

Feeling a bit better this evening so thought I'd just drop in and explain my absence. But oh for a comfy settee or bed!
 
Oh dear, you are having a hard time of it this time. I'm so sorry you've been feeling bad again. I can't help other than by sending supportive and caring thoughts. I hope everything improves soon xxx
 
@Josephine
I'm sorry you had another rough day. :console2: I hope you sleep well tonight and feel better tomorrow.

I hope your GP is right. How good of him to do a home visit so promptly!

I know you'll carefully monitor your knee and how you feel in general.
Wish one of us could be there to take care of you! However, I'm sending healing thoughts and :prayer: :angel:.
 
@Josephine So sorry you're having such a rough trot....I like the sound of tissue kinetics though, must keep that in mind. "Sorry I can't come in to work today, it's my tissue kinetics playing up". It's the difficult nights that drive you mad, on top of everything else....nothing to distract you I suppose. I'm seriously thinking of online bingo to pass the time at 3am......I'll let you know if I win anything. I do hope you start to pick up soon .
Mel
 
Maybe in addition to "tissue kinetics" you have some sort of viral creeping crud? Or late reaction to the antibiotics from last week? Have you got any probiotics in your daily pills? Repopulate that gut with good guys! Actually, I had a few days like yours after my hip, minus the heated joint. Maybe it is all just on the recovery spectrum...
Hope you are passing a peaceful night zzzzzzzz :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Jo, two things. One, i always had crackers and peanut butter or a small tub of soft cheese by my bed and always ate something with my pain meds. Are you eating properly and on time? It is hard to have an appetite, but your body needs protein right now. I used some Protein drinks--called Naked Juice. It was yummy and I felt better after drinking one.

Second, are you resting as much as you should. i noticed that one day you posted a lot---were you sitting in a chair? or in bed with your knee up and a lap top on top of a pillow on your stomach? If the former--no wonder you had pain. I know, it is hard to recover!! And when you start feeling good somehow you thing--yea I am over it. But rest is critical.

I know you are our "Fearless leader" but, rest is really important now, even when you are feeling well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom