Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learned last night that it is hard to explain to a chihuahua why he can not sit in his usual spot on your lap!

LOL! I had that fun with two cats the first few days after surgery. After that, it didn't matter. I think cats are denser than your chihuahua.
 
@jomarie58 you just popped up so just had to respond straight away. You're doing fabulously well only 3 days after surgery. I salute you! :wow: Glad you're sorted out with commode and walker and how inventive to do the swap where the walker won't fit. Your route made me smile - sounds like a Grand Prix circuit (with pit stops). My hubby refers to my wonky hip as my "flat tyre", so it all fits the picture beautifully. Tell me about icing. Do you use freezer blocks or frozen peas wrapped in towels, or something more customised? Icing sounds to be very important so need to be ready when the time comes.
Good luck with your physio :dancy: and tell that naughty dog to steer clear! :dogsniff:
 
Where there's a will there's a way, as you just proved! You mentioned having more pain since being home and I'm wondering if you're taking your pain medication around the clock (even waking yourself up for the 2 or 3 am dose) so you stay ahead of the pain? Our moderators have suggested this many times in the past, so I thought I'd pass it on. Hope this is helpful @jomarie58.
 
Hey @Cynthia777 yes I am staying on the clock for meds but in the hospital I was getting some through the IV as well as the OxyCodon. I was just doing 2 pills but my scrip says up to three so I may do that.

@missmuffet for icing I have two options right now. I have a blue gel wrap that I got from PT. last year which has the benefit of being long and going across the entire rump and leg or I have some smaller lined bags from the hospital that are just filled with ice.

My home care nurse was here this morning and answered my med questions for me. Unfortunately my husband heard her tell me not to ice too much so now I am living with an ice nazi. Sigh.

Planning on lunch and a nap next! I now know what everyone meant about sleeping a lot!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jomarie58 - I hope that nurse had a strong reason for turning your husband into an ice nazi! :snork: Maybe she was afraid you would get freezer burn? Dunno.... I use ice almost constantly and have minimal swelling and no bruising so far. It especially feels good to do if I have been puttering around the house a lot and operated side starts to ache. Hope you find what works best for you. :ice: :)
 
Hi ladies! I am jealous of all your cute moving emojis (not sure what to call them). @Readysetgo that little guy on the ice is awesome! First day home and I guess I overdid it, very sore right now! Was allowed to ice! Grin, ocycodon not due for another hour so I took a Tylenol. Have a good sleep!
 
Good morning! Full day at home #2 begins. Stayed in the recliner until my 12:30 meds then moved to the bed. Had to put a pillow under my knees to fall asleep. Tried to just be on my back flat out on the bed as home nurse suggested but could not fall asleep. Did not turn on phone alarm for next meds (forgot) but woke up around 5:30 and took them right away. Came out to recliner and started icing.

By ten pm yesterday I was in a world of pain. Think I just did too much my first day. I had four visitors at four different times, put away laundry ( broke that up into four sections), watered plants, made my meals (hubby did his own) washed some dishes and so on. I am amazed at all that I can list.

Today will be a quieter day for me! First plan is to go through the mail. Have a great morning.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I had four visitors at four different times, put away laundry ( broke that up into four sections), watered plants, made my meals (hubby did his own) washed some dishes and so on.
At so early out in your recovery you should not be doing anything but resting, icing and elevating. All those chores need to wait until you are more than just a few days out of surgery.
 
Hi @jomarie58 and welcome to the other side. Glad it all went well and its all over for you. My op went well and I was up on crutches on my 2nd day. Unfortunately the way my bp meds were administered caused really low bp which made me feel very sick and giddy. Anyway we got over that and I came out on Sunday. First hours home were hard, moving hurt and I still felt very sick. Anti nausea meds helped. Had dreadful indigestion too before and after everything so a bit miserable. Yesterday was a tiny bit better BUT this morning I woke at 5am with NO pain or indigestion and feeling hungry. Today 5 days after the op I feel so much better. Walking more steadily with crutches and feeling much more myself. I promise you will feel better and the improvement seems to come with no warning. Fondest thoughts as you begin to fully recover. Ps best thing is having two legs the same length x
 
Note to self: stop putting glasses in lap when you sit down "for a minute", you are going to fall asleep and when you wake up you will stand and the 400 dollar pair of glasses will fall on the hardwood floors. Ack! How many times do I have to do that before I figure it out?


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@ Jaycey unfortunately my husband heard the home nurse tell me to do as much as I can for myself and he has taken it to mean I should do everything for myself. He is the only one here with me so I am in a bind. Just grabbing the chihuahua and then answering the door so much yesterday was tiring, his comment was "they are your friends". Maybe if he sees me crashing more he will figure it out.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hey@Gillywigs, glad to hear you made through the BP and dizzy issues. Have a great day!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58
Sounds like you need to have a stern conversation with your Home nurse person and explain that you just had major surgery and all you need to do right now is rest, ice and elevate and be waited on. I feel bad for you that your hubby is taking everything she said as gospel, which is going to make it that much harder on your recovery. I would also suggest to both of them to watch the YouTube video of the operation and see if they still feel the same way after they see how you have been hammered, sawed and cut into...not to mention, the abuse they put you through during the surgery. Sorry for my rant, but it so annoys me that unless you've been through it, one just doesn't get that this recovery is not a sprint, but a marathon and the easier you take it in the beginning, the better you will be in the long run. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything, except what you have to do and that is, taking care of yourself. The heck with housework! If it needs done, let someone else do it. Please, be good to yourself and allow the healing to begin.
:flwrysmile:
 
@jomarie58 That is a slight worry of my own - that I will start doing things & hubs will let me. I keep warning him-- all I will be doing the first week is resting/icing/resting/walking/icing... repeat
I did see on someone's list to pick up glasses tether/chain - I'm thinking of going that route


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jomarie58, I feel really a bit cross on your behalf! The first few days with little sleep and still feeling the after-effects of the op are hard enough without your home nurse/hubby making it harder...if by doing things for yourself nurse means washing and dressing yourself and getting to the loo etc, that's all well and good. But answering the door, putting away the laundry and washing up are not your job at the moment, surely! Take it easy now and it will pay dividends in a week or two (and this advice is coming from someone who is normally an up-and-at-it kinda gal).


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
So funny how husbands hear what they want to hear. Such big kids. Mine wants to help and I give him lots of credit for trying but I have done everything in the house, with the cooking, shopping, cleaning, bills, banking, everything that now I have to tell and explain to him what and why things are done. Also, remember, if you DO it then they think you can and they will let you. I'm learning to let it go as much as possible and say that I really can't do that right now. Yes, it probably won't get done but that has to be okay for now. @jomarie58 - just say "NO" :tiredwheel:
 
Thanks so much ladies, just your kind words made me feel better. I am going to try to say that I can't do XYZ today and hope that helps. Luckily several of my girlfriends who came to see me yesterday brought me some meals that I can just heat in the microwave, about to go heat something up now for lunch.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom