Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

In my case, it was just an increasing low grade pain that started as an ache and has gradually progressed to what it is now which is a steady, penetrating ache sometimes elevating to a sharp pain. Strangely it's not present when I walk or go up and down stairs but when I first get up and put weight on it, it hurts and I'm unsteady on my feet so I use a walking stick! Oddly, it hurts (or rather aches) more when I am resting! Who'd have guessed!

Xrays showed nothing though I thought I could see something but bowed to 'Sir's' superior knowledge. He said see how it goes and come back if it gets any worse. Well surprise, surprise, it did and he ordered a bone scan which showed a flare, indicating there was some progressive bone damage and/or growth in that area. The consensus between the radiologist, surgeon (and me!) was that it was most likely a loosening. However, in an excess of diagnostic zeal, it's been decided to do screening in case there is an infection but I'm pretty sure there's not. I've had bloods taken and am to be admitted soon for an aspiration of both knees to check for infection markers.
 
So I see the surgeon tomorrow to talk about my tkr. After a week in cabo, had a great time but knee didn’t .I’ve decided to go through with the revision scheduled for March 7th. I’m just sick about it, but feel I have to try and get out of this knee misery. Has anyone else gone through a pkr to tkr and had better results? Think I’m looking for some positive feedback. I keep telling myself anything has to be better than this. I can’t relax into a stride without excruciating pain. I just want it all out and start fresh and hope things get better for me. Thanks for letting me vent.
 
You've made a decision and can now move on and get a total knee replacement. Keep your eyes set on the good outcome you'll most certainly have.
 
Positive thoughts and focus usually yield positive results!
 
I had a revision from PKR to a TKR 7 years ago, with excellent results.
My knee is so good that I'm hardly aware of it. I have no pain at all.
 
@Celle I’m so happy to hear that. I just have to keep a positive outlook. It’s just hard after 2 surgeries that have been nothing but pain. Thanks for responding and happy your knee is a happy one!
 
Well its a week out until my revision to a TKR. I’m getting close to being ready. Days like today with the knee being painful makes it easier to mentally prepare. Got me a basket on my walker this time to carry my water bottles and snacks :rotfl:. 3rd time is going to be a charm! I can’t say I’m looking forward to those first couple of weeks, but if things improve in the long run, it will be all worth it!!
 
:console2:We’ll be here for you!
 
I can’t get a revision if no one will offer me one.

My knee feels awful tonight. I had a little trouble walking around Target late this afternoon. It feels like it’s swollen inside. But there’s nothing wrong with it. :doh:
 
@Jockette that’s just terrible. I guess I should feel “ lucky” that I’m getting the revision when there is nothing wrong with mine either as far as the x-rays go. It’s scary though as it feels like this is my last chance with no guarantees things will be better. I just have to think positive that they don’t get worse with all compartments replaced now. I know my soft tissues and nerves are not going to like this one bit so soon after last one. It’s definatly nerve racking. I know how you feel, it’s that chronic pain that is debilitating and really plays a part on what your able to do. I hope you find a specialist that will do a revision to help you.
 
I guess I should feel “ lucky” that I’m getting the revision when there is nothing wrong with mine either as far as the x-rays go.
Yes, I agree that you should feel lucky. Many of us are having unexplained pain, though nothing is wrong. At least you have a OS that is willing to do something. I pray your total relieves your discomfort. I was really surprised when I read that your partial was replaced with a partial. I believe that's the first time I've heard about that.
 
I know my soft tissues and nerves are not going to like this one bit so soon after last one.
Take your recovery very slowly. Don’t let any therapist bend your leg for you. Move it gently but not to excess. You’ve been through a lot and I think your knee/leg will need extra tender loving care. Remember, mobility is good, strengthening should wait a while until you heal.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines as a refresher now, so you can feel confident in a gentle approach to this recovery.

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
ONE Recovery Thread.
This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
@sistersinhim yes your not the only one. It’s very rare that happens but the OS felt he could adjust the plate and things would be fine. You put your trust in them but it should have gone to a total the second time. I’m being hopeful that once a total is done my knee will be in much better shape and more stable
 
So the count down is on and I’m pretty freaked out... 3 rd time is a charm right?? Guess I’ll meet you all on the other side! Thursday 6am is my hopital arrival time. Positive thoughts!!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom