Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

I understand that, I guess I was hoping that getting the TKR would make my knee better.
Yep, I get you. I am the same. But actually, if we have loose implants, we don't have a choice. Just like we wouldn't have a choice if our cars had duff brake pads! It's GOT to be done.
 
Personally I would get other opinions. I am not going back to my original surgeon.
 
I wouldn't go back to my original surgeon and I don't think that you should, either. He's had two chances to get your knee right and he hasn't managed it.
On top of that, he revised a PKR to another PKR. The usual procedure is to revise to a TKR.

I think you need to find a surgeon who specialises in helping problem knees, and whose specialty is doing revisions.
Surgeons like that see problem knees every working day and they can often find a solution that has escaped others.

You'll need someone who has no connection, either professional or social, with your original surgeon, so that he/she can form an independent opinion, uninfluenced by the opinion of your original surgeon. You may have to travel outside you area to find the right person.

If you tag Jamie and tell her your zip code, she might be able to suggest someone.

By the way, the surgeon who gave you the disappointing second opinion may have been reluctant to appear to be "stealing" another surgeon's patient. There seems to be a sort of understanding between surgeons that they will not take on another surgeon's patient until a year after surgery. With a PKR in February 2018, you are coming close to that year now, so you might have more success with the next second opinion.
 
@Josephine I don’t have a loose implant, it just has never been right from the start. I did get a chuckle on the car brake pads as that’s our business, an automotive shop so my car is on top shape lol. Anyways I’ve got a lot to think on- thank-you.

@Jockette I know, my surgeon has such a good name to:( I’m thinking I should see about all the nerve issues first. I have excellent bend and straight but just can’t go for a walk ugh. Petrified of things being worse. Why are you not getting the revision?

@Celle Thank-you for your input it’s much appreciated. The surgeon I saw doesn’t do partials and said If I go through with surgery the originals surgeon would be who he’d go with as he does them often. Also he didn’t see anything in x-ray that stood out or was not correctly placed. I know they all stick together so I think I was just praying he’d tell me what I wanted to hear. I think I do need to see the neurologist first and maybe put the surgery off until I’ve got a few opinions. This just sucks and not how I want to live my life . Sigh
 
@Jockette How frustrating, I guess I should somewhat feel lucky I’m even offered the surgery. My x-rays are “great” too. Beyond frustrating they won’t dig a bit to see what could be the issue. I told original surgeon about my leg weakness and the burning and so on in the beginning he was like I didn’t cut any tendons or muscles. Never said it could be nerve damage that was second surgeon! So now I’m battling the weak leg that can’t seem to support the darn new messed up knee that has been through so much. If I do strengthening exercises then I get such bad irritation and pain in the knee. If only I could rewind time...
 
If only I could rewind time...
You don't know how many of us have thought that. If we could have seen the future would we have done things the same way? We never know the outcome, but pray for the best.

If I were you I'd ask Jamie to find me a good revisionist. Enough is enough!
 
I think I have some nerve damage also. The second I put pants on it feels like something big and hard swells up in the knee and scrapes against something with every step. It also feels like that wearing a bathrobe, and that doesn’t hardly even touch the knee. And it’s not the incision, it’s inside.
 
@Jolease.....I'm so sorry, but I don't have information on surgeons in Canada other than this:

Toronto, Canada

Revision surgeon for hips and knees:

Dr. Jeffrey Gollish
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre
43 Wellesley St. E., Suite 315. Toronto, ON M4Y 1H1
(416) 967-8730

Recommended by Randi who had a knee revision.


Ontario, Canada
broken link removed: https://boneandjoint.uwo.ca/about_us/people/researcher_bios/mccalden.html
London Health Sciences Centre
Western University, Ontario, Canada
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees
 
I am sorry. There isn't enough information out on the web about Canadian surgeons as there is for those in the USA. I have to depend on word of mouth recommendations and possibly running into a surgeon at a conference.

If you do find surgeons and they have a web page, I'll be happy to do a review of their information. Just post the link and tag me.
 
I just had a revision, due to component loosening. I felt like there was something wrong with my 2010 TKR from the get-go and saw too many doctors only to find no answers. The loosening was almost a gift. I did end up with a top doc in Boston and am very happy with that decision. Unfortunately, most orthopedists seem to have a Shakespeare like approach to patients: "To operate, or not to operate - Tis the question." I wish there was a "troubleshooter" category of orthopedists!

My mom had a partial back in the very early days of partials. It served her for nearly 30 years. Sorry to hear yours has not gone well.
 
@maryo52 It sure is frustrating besides the xrays look good they don’t dig deeper to find out what the issue is or at least could be. It’s so depressing that I know a good 12 or more people that have had knee replacements and not one has gone through what I have. One of them even had same surgeon as I did.

The one surgeon said my nerve damage is from the nerve block. I’m sure glad you got your revision, hope your recovery goes smoothly. I have a revision date,I’m just unsure if I should postpone until I get into to see the neurologist first. I am glad your mom’s partial went well 30 years is amazing! Take care of your knee and thanks for your input:)
 
@Josephine You got me there! Well remember xrays look good! Ugh.

I’m just unsure whether to get the nerve damage/pain under control before I go ahead and go through with another surgery. I won’t see the neurologist before the surgery is scheduled. It would be 3 surgeries within 17 months.

I think best bet is to ask surgeon tons of questions and if I don’t like what I hear, any glimmer of hope that I’ll be in better shape I will postpone.This is stressing me out to no end:(
 
You should remember that even if you saw a new knee surgeon tomorrow, it would most likely be a couple of months before he completed his investigations and decided what needs doing.

I don't think asking lots of questions is the correct approach. How do you know if he'll be straightforward and/or truthful with you?

As for the xrays, for some reason, surgeons appear to develop a blind eye when it comes to loose implants. Possibly because they just don't want to see it.

I've all but lost count of the number I've seen on here and that's NOT using the original xrays, NOT being able to examine the patient and NOT even able to speak to the patient face-to-face!
 
@sistersinhim I developed new pain, so xrays were taken. They show a shadow line around the implant where the bone has broken down from movement of the implant. He noticed the tibial loosening but the femoral loosening was picked up by the surgeon who just did my revision.
 
So yours actually showed up with xrays. That's good. From what Josephine was saying, most of them don't show up that way.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom