Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

If it’s any consolation I had serious swelling for some WEEKS - despite icing and elevating most of the time. Only now, some 7 weeks later, have things started to settle down. It’s been really stressful - I know what you’re going through.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Jockette thanks your right it’s hard not to worry. I try so hard to stay positive and I’m just 2 days post op and I hurt so bad even with lots of pain meds. I’m just feeling down and pain is taking over any rationality I should have. I can’t wait to report happy uplifting posts! There will be some soon I know it. First step get some of this swelling and pain down a bit. Xx
 
@Didot oh wow and thank- you! yes it does help hearing it although I’m sorry you went through it! Did you do any of your exercises in that time? You get told one thing and I just want to do what’s best for my knee to have a good recovery. I had swelling past 2 surgeries but not to this degree, but it’s still so early so hoping it will come down a bit soon. It’s hard to even walk to the bathroom without thinking my skin will explode. Hope your recovering better now that the swelling has come down for you . Xx
 
Swelling was intense the first couple of weeks and then went down so where you are at is normal. Most of your day should be elevating and icing toes above nose. Were you given anti inflammatory meds such as Celebrex? I would also suggest drinking a lot of water. Not fun going potty so often but water flushes out that inflammation. I also wore the dreaded TEDs then and even now and it helps me. Now even at almost 6 weeks I still get swelling but it doesn’t last long. Hang in there it will get better.:ice:
 
@Smokey253 Hi and not that I like to hear others had to go through this massive swelling it eases my mind some. It’s just brutal, I’ve got lots of bruising also. And yes I was prescribed celebrex. Did you do any exercises those first couple of weeks? I have just been doing ankle pumps and did couple heal slides but stopped as it hurts leg is just to swollen. And I’m drinking tons of water . Thanks so much, I know will get better:yes:
 
Your right ! it is and was a brutal first couple of weeks but as others on this forum promised this too shall pass. As far as exercises my OS recommend no exercise other than ankle pumps, walks to bathroom, short walks around the house and personal care for the first 2 weeks. At the 2 week mark PT was entroduced with gentle assessment, walking, some quad work etc. I spent so much time elevated and icing with my Berg CryoCuff I thought my feet will never touch the ground! Make sure you are keeping up with adequate pain meds as pain makes the inflammation worse. You know your body better than anybody and if that swelling appears to be more than normal give your doctors office a call! Hang in their girl better days are coming! Sending hugs to my northern neighbor :console2:
 
@Smokey253 Thank-you! I will keep an eye on the swelling. I’ve been elevating and icing constantly. I am taking the max dose for pain, no worries there. I will call the surgeons office tomorrow and ask about the swelling and the water blisters I have on my skin. The Benadryl has helped with the itching I was having. Thanks for the support. :) :-) (:
 
Even if I’d wanted to, I could not do any exercises.... I reckon it’s impossible to try to move to the next stage when you can barely cope with the trauma of what’s going on. I’m still in the early stages of finding relief at 8 weeks but can see how time is the only answer really. Each day I feel the knee starting to understand what’s gone on and slowly respond to the need for change. I remind it through trying to bend/straighten ... and none of it is comfortable. But I see light at the end of the tunnel at last.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Jolease, your first two surgeries were PKR (and revision) which means only one side got actually sawed on and hammered on. This is a TKR, so while the recovery is essentially the same, the actual impact to your knee is significantly more. That may account for the greater amount of swelling. Regardless, it will get better in time. You have lots of support here, so don’t worry about getting down, just reach for support when you need to.
 
@Didot Thank-you, I guess I’m just in so much pain and am stupidly worried I won’t get a bend if I don’t start exercises now. They drill it into you so much.( no pun intended) haha. I just can’t do it yet,
so I’ll just continue to ice , medicate and elevate. @NavyGunns Very true! I’ve thought about all the trauma my knee has endured and it has every right to scream! Just not liking how I feel, I will get through this and I do appreciate all the support here more than you know. Sure makes you feel like your not alone. I’ve shed enough tears over the past 17 months there will be no water restrictions at my house this summer lol! On a good note I have been able to get some sleep in 2-3 hr stretches
 
@Jolease I had the same thoughts after I pushed PT to hard 3 days post surgical. My surgical leg became severely swollen! I thought it would never come down. :scare: What had I gotten myself into... It took some time, and a lot of ice. But in time it recovered. Slow and steady, wins the race.
My thoughts and prayers are with you!
 
@Rick951 Thank- you, I’m so swollen I can barely even walk so I’m not doing any pt, I’ll continue to ice and elevate and pray it comes down soon. I was swollen with the last to but not to this degree. My knee has been through a lot . I’m glad your knee is doing ok now. i will get there too just doesn’t feel like it right now :censored:
 
’m just in so much pain and am stupidly worried I won’t get a bend if I don’t start exercises now.
Many of us have been put into knee immobilizers after knee surgeries. I was in one for each of my knees for at least 6 weeks after my patellalectomies. When finally allowed to remove the immobilizers my knees were stiff and didn't want to bend much. But, without PT, just walking around taking care of my daily knees my knees bent on their own just fine. It wasn't overnight, but complete bend took only about a month. Not doing all those exercises while my knees were in their heavy healing stages allowed the swelling to go down. Swelling is what inhibits ROM.

I’m so swollen I can barely even walk so I’m not doing any pt
That's good. All you need to do is concentrate on getting that swelling down. Then, you can begin to walk. That is the best exercise of all for a knee's recovery!
 
@sistersinhim Yes that what I intend to do as I got a new little blood spot on the bandage where the staples are. It’s right at the bend so even just going to the bathroom is enough to reopen as it’s so tight and swollen. So ankle pumps and short walk around the house is it. I realize everyone recovers differently and I had a feeling the incision might need a little more tlc being cut open 3 times. Thanks for the words of wisdom! :thankyou:
 
@sistersinhim Hi sorry what I meant was could you put revision tkr instead of revision partial but I guess it is a partial revision. Sorry you can put it back to what it was - sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.
 
@sistersinhim Hi sorry what I meant was could you put revision tkr instead of revision partial but I guess it is a partial revision. Sorry you can put it back to what it was - sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.
I understand what you mean. Tell me again the thread title you want. Sorry we misunderstood.
 
I like that title, and we’ll get the procedure title fixed. Let’s let a moderator decide what that should be, they’ll know.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom