Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

I had my revision yesterday morning. I was in OR for 2 hours. I had a spinal and a cocktail of sleepy juice. The pain came on pretty quickly after the spinal wore off. I didn’t get the nerve block so went straigh into pain. I had some good bleeding but it got stopped but had use commode for the night. I feel much more sore this time than last 2. I figured after 3 surgeries so close and bring a revision to a tkr it would be . I had to be my own advocate for pain meds. My surgeon supplied me with lots of meds and I’m on dalteparin for the blood thinner. I have to give myself injections - yuck!! I have major pain, swelling and bruising and leg so tight not much I’ll be doing but icing, medicating and elevating . Hope to get a bit of sleep but doubtful with this pain level. Hope I will have some good positive things to add as I go through this hard recovery .
 
@Jockette now that I’m home and have control over the pain killers ,
I will do my best. I am very very swollen and bruised.
 
Rest as much as you can, just some short walks, don’t push the exercises, right now rest is best, lots and lots of time later for ROM. Just do gentle mobility movements.

I’m glad you’re home. I’m so sorry it’s been so tough. Keep us posted when you feel up to it. I’ll be thinking of you a lot. :console2:
 
Home is the best place for you. Being in control of you rest, your meds and your movements is all good. Do very little these first few weeks. You knee has had a terrible injury and needs to heal those tissues that are so damaged.
 
Day 2 -I managed to sleep for 3.5 hrs straight! Def drug induced, but I’ll take it! The pain is at a 10 so I’m going to set my alarm for every 3.5 hrs as that seems to be when I need my meds not every 4 at the moment. I’ve got my chro machine on and elevated so hopefully can get this pain level down. Leg is very swollen along with knee. I have been doing ankle pumps and pushing back of knee into bed and while on toilet a few heal slides. Can’t manage anything else right now with the swelling and pain. @Josephine, I have very sore thigh muscles do you think a tens machine would be ok to use or would it be to early yet? This forum is so great to let your feelings out, ask questions and to know your not alone is this recovery. Thanks bone smarties! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
@Jolease, I remember not doing much more than you at two days, maybe less. Thigh probably sore due to tourniquet. Josephine was taking a few days off, so she may not reply right away.

Keep icing, elevating, and taking pain meds. Protocol for the day.
 
@navy guns Thanks so much for responding. Yeah I’ve already said I’m
Not going to physio until the swelling comes down, my leg feel like it could explode. The physio here is great do not push at all. I think your right on the tourniquet . Just wonder if I put tens on the muscles if would affect the knee any.
 
I just gave myself my firstblood thinner shot. I don’t like needles, amazing what you can do after having this surgery a third time. A needle is nothing now lol . Also I can’t lift my leg on my own I could the first day not anymore. Guess it’s the swelling and muscles . One day at a time...
 
Ok I should be a pro by now, but is it normal to be so swollen you can barely bend the knee to walk . How long will it take for this swelling to come down a bit cause omg it’s like my knee and leg are going to bust at the seams. I’m doing my ankle pumps and walking to the washroom that’s it. I’m supposed do my pt exercises but I can’t imagine doing them with all this swelling. I swelled with the partials, but this is brutal. Also is it normal to feel itchy around incision already? Thanks I want these horrible days to be over sooner than later!
 
How much are you icing and elevating? With that kind of swelling you need to be doing it all the time that you are down. The more you ice and elevate, the more the swelling should come down.
 
@Jolease, you are only 2 days out. This may sound harsh, but chill girl! No, literally, chill. Ice, elevate, relax, take naps and whatever sleep you can get. The swelling will subside and you will eventually be able to do more. Don’t worry about heel slides, they can wait for now. Your knee is not going to freeze up, but will be fine. Keep up with ankle pumps and whatever works to aid lower leg circulation, but mainly get that leg as high as you can comfortably tolerate ensuring your toes are above your nose. Do not cut off circulation behind your knee.
 
@NavyGunns I know I know, I’ll try! Thanks for reminding me I’m just fresh out. I’m a worry wart as you can tell. I’ll try to just chill. I am elevating the whole time, and have ice machine on. I have to remind myself how much my knee has been through in a short time too. @sistersinhim I’m elevated the whole time and icing most of the time. Guess I just need to breathe- thank you both for helping set my mind at ease.
 
:console2::console2:
With two previous failed surgeries I understand your worry. It’s like one continuous recovery. (like mine at 2 years is still in recovery mode :blackcloud:)

Hang in there while your knee goes through the “angry tissue” phase. It will pass. I’m so sorry you’re hurting so much. :console2:
 
@Jolease, you know what forced me to realize I needed to back off and give my knee time to recover? It was watching a video on YouTube of a surgeon actually doing a knee replacement surgery. When I saw what our poor knees are put through while we are under, I literally told my knee I was sorry it had to go through such treatment but that it would be worth it in the end. Whenever I got the “smart” idea that I needed to do more and I was going to “force” my knee to comply, I simply reflected on that video and that set me straight.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom