THR Jojool rides to the other side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here it is, day 12. I am not progressing like I'd anticipated....but I guess I just need to be patient. I am still using my walker to get around. It is painful to walk without it, and I'm hoping this is normal? It's not the same pain, but it is as strong as the previous bone on bone pain. I'm down to taking 1 oxy 5/235 every 4 hours, adding tylenol twice a day (every 6 hours). I can't take celebrex, as I'm allergic. Could that be why I'm in more pain than some others who are at the same place I am? Or am I just a complete WIMP? :umm:

PT appts are made and I'm scared of that. I guess it's because I don't know what to expect, and I'm hoping they don't hurt me worse than I already am.

I'm (impatiently) waiting for the morning when I get up and don't need to rely on that stupid walker. I tried walking with a cane, and that was too painful yet.

On the good side, my dogs stay OUT of my way when I'm driving that thing....they know I'll run 'em over! :puppysmooze:
 
but I guess I just need to be patient.
You said it, sista!!
Your body is telling you what it needs right now. You just have to listen to your body and go with the flow. What you're feeling is normal for you :puppysmooze: And you're right, its great that the puppies stay outta the way!! Make way!!! Lady with a zimmerframe coming through!!:)

The day will come when you are comfortable moving onto a different aid, but until then, just keep on with the walker.

Also, try not to be afraid to attempt the exercises the PT has for you, but equally, if you experience hard, stabbing pain with any of them, dont be afraid to tell the PT, "Not yet". Your muscles will protest a bit, of course, they've been through a lot - some pain/aching is inevitable, but if its sharp and/or unbearable, dont do it! :)

Edited to add: You also said you're "down" to a certain level of medication - is it possible you've cut back a bit too early?
 
Meggzie thank you! I knew a hippy sista would help me feel better.

I have a dilemma with my meds, as they only gave me 40 pills. If I take two every 4 hours, I'll be out in no time, and to get it refilled will be pretty much impossible. (due to the fact that I have to go get the prescription at the dr's office when I need it, they can't call it in)

I can get a scrip for Norco, and I plan on doing that and switching over to that. I don't know how much it will help, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks again Meggzie! :friends:
 
Oops sorry Jojool, I did read that about your issue with getting meds. I'm blaming the after effects of the general last week :yes:

I read that your regular doc won't call in a script for Vicodin or Norco, so you will need to go see them, right? Why not have your regular guy/girl prescribe the oxy, if you need to go in anyway? You're right about it being a pain to have to travel, but half an hour is way better than one and a half - AND you'll have the oxy :) just a thought? I have no idea how your system works there, so hoping your GP is permitted to prescribe oxy? :what:
 
I'm laughing now, because I just got done attempting to vacuum and sweep my floors. This was all done either sitting in an office chair or in my wheelie walker. Not an easy task, mind you, and it just cracked me up. If only there was a video. LOL :rofsign:

Just got word from my hubby that he has a CAST on his left arm! He went to the VA this a.m. because his arm has been bothering him. He's had 5 surgeries on that particular arm and 8 on the other. Poor guy now has a cast because he did something to the resection of the ulna that was done a few years ago. We do NOT need this right now! Both of us gimping around will not work well for taking care of the house, horses, dogs, and us. Thus, the need for ME to step up and at least do what I can do....which isn't much. I can dust, sweep and vacuum, so that will be my chores from now on. I really would LOVE to have someone come clean my house, but with me not working we just can't afford it. Maybe I'll splurge sometime and have someone just come in once and get it spic 'n span.....

I do feel better today, still sore, but I'm able to get around. I've gone back to taking one percocet every 4 hours, and xtra strenght tylenol every 6 hours. It has helped.

Prayers for my husband would be appreciated. Poor thing has been through the mill and back with his arms, all service connected injuries from when he was in the Coast Guard years ago. I'm just hoping he can behave himself and NOT do anything more to jeopardize that arm!!! He's worse than me when it comes to following dr's orders. :whistle:
 
Jojool Oh No! I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby! The two of you certainly don't need any more pain and disability at your house right now! You are both in my thoughts now, best wishes that the two of you are soon on the road to full recovery and feeling no pain :console2: :puppysmooze:
 
Such a bummer about your hubby's arm...sending healing vibes to both of you from down-under!

It's great when we can start to 'pull our own weight' a bit. I remember how good it felt, just to be able to cook a simple meal for myself from scratch, rather than to nuke something out of the freezer.:yay: I did get a giggle when you described how you managed - gotta love a bit of ingenuity!! :thumb: But please, both of you, try to take it as easy as you can - no one will die if the housework/yardwork slides for a while - but I will say, I love the idea of getting a cleaner in to get everything spic'n'span...send em my way when you're done with them!!! :wink:
 
I wish my hubby would listen to me. he's been out unloading hay (110 lb bales!) with that arm, doing chores, etc. etc. he won't slow down! He said it feels great with the cast on. Sure it does! But doing all of that work is going to defeat the purpose of the cast. Grrrrrr. Men. Sometimes I wonder. :whistle:

I did walk around a little bit yesterday without the walker. I did okay. It still hurts a little bit, but mostly feels funny like it's going to 'give out' (even though I know it won't). I'm going to try to transition to the cane today. Can't wait to ditch that walker!!! :yes!:
 
Had my first PT session today. Didn't do too much, walked a bit with my cane....and found out that I'm turning my foot in towards the middle. We will work on that. Then they put me on the bike (not sure if that's what it is, actually. You sit on a chair basically, and push the pedals in?) for 15 minutes. That felt pretty good. It felt good to do something besides walk! :dancy:

I've graduated from the walker to the cane, finally.:happydance: I am going to keep the walker around just in case, but for now the cane works fine. I asked the PTherapist about the pain I'm having and she explained that it's the bone pain from being cut, pounded and drilled. :yikes: Makes a lot of sense to me, I just wish I'd known about it before. All of the muscle pain I had after surgery is basically gone. Yipee!

At least I feel like I'm on the mend. it's taking longer than I had hoped, but I have to learn that "P" word. Patience. I'm not good at that. :whistle:
 
Then they put me on the bike (not sure if that's what it is, actually. You sit on a chair basically, and push the pedals in?) for 15 minutes. That felt pretty good. It felt good to do something besides walk! :dancy:

It's a peddle exerciser, I bought one on Amazon this past week. The PT had me use it 2 days in the hospital and I mistakenly called it a 'pedi-cycle' when I posted about it here. My home PT recommended it so we looked into it and found they weren't expensive. Hubby said 'go for it' when I told him the price, I think he wants me to get back to housecleaning and saving money.

I asked the PTherapist about the pain I'm having and she explained that it's the bone pain from being cut, pounded and drilled.
Also all of the cut nerve endings, (ouch) from cutting the femur. I don't know if they cut any muscles during the anterior procedure but that doesn't help either!

Patience Jojool! You will get there, overdoing it just makes matters worse, I know that now from experience.
 
It was a recumbent bike...... :) I finally looked it up. A little different than the peddle exerciser.
 
Week 3 update: I've now graduated from the walker to a cane. :happydance: I'm no longer hooked to that thing! Woo Hoo! I'm feeling a bit better. Still a little sore, but only when I walk too much. Had PT today with the therapist I used to go to when I was still "unsure" about having a THR. She manipulated my leg in the same ways she did before surgery, but the ROM was so much better, and little/no pain! She did hit a sensitive spot, and I let her know right away that HURT. I threatened to slap her. :angel:But I wouldn't' do that. Really, I wouldn't. Lol

I'm feeling much better than last week. I see a light at the end of this LONG tunnel. I've been going out regularly to visit with my horses, which helps my mood tremendously. The weather is still in the triple digits here, (it was 110* today!) so I'm just waiting for it to cool off to do some outside walking and other outside things.

Thanks for everyone's support. You guys rock. :friends:
 
She did hit a sensitive spot, and I let her know right away that HURT. I threatened to slap her.

My PT and I have a very similar relationship :heehee: Often during a session, I'll tell her that we cant be friends anymore!! :)

Yep, those "pony fixes" are just what the doctor ordered! There's nothing quite like the smell of a happy, healthy horse to lift your spirits - I often just cuddle into my boy's neck and breathe deeply!! That probably sounds weird to non horsey people - but I'm sure you know what I mean. :wink:

Glad you have your eyes on that light at the end of the tunnel - I promise you, it aint an oncoming train!!:wink: Each day will be different, there will be ups and downs, but keep taking it easy and visit your ponies, that light will get closer and closer.
 
I often just cuddle into my boy's neck and breathe deeply!! That probably sounds weird to non horsey people - but I'm sure you know what I mean. :wink:

[Bonesmart.org] Jojool rides to the other side...
[Bonesmart.org] Jojool rides to the other side...
I don't think us cat and dog lovers think that's weird---sounds totally "normal" to me.
 
Josephine I'm tagging you because I have a question. I am still in pain. I'd say it's a 2-3 when I'm standing on the hip. I'm 3-1/2 weeks out from my SuperPath hip replacement. I have to walk with a cane or the pain is 5-6 without it. Is this normal recovery? I am taking 2 Norco 5/325 in the middle of the night as the pain wakes me up. And, during the day I'm taking 2 extra strength tylenol every 6 hours. I'm not in pain while sitting. The reason I've cut back on my meds is that the OS has only prescribed a 30 day (60) supply of the Norco and I don't know that they will do another month. Should I be pain free at this point? Very, very frustrated that there is still pain. It doesn't feel like muscle but I guess it could be. It's very deep in the hip.
 
Jojool, you are barely out of surgery. Pain is entirely normal right now.....it's just a question of tweaking your meds to get adequate relief. Jo will give you some suggestions for that. Most docs will give at least one more rx for the Norco...although, yes, there are some who won't.....but even so, something intermediate like tramadol is very helpful to bridge the gap. And then the secret is to take enough of whatever you're FREQUENTLY enough to keep a steady stream of medication in you. Six hour stretches may be the problem for you.

But yes....pain is VERY normal. You had a great deal of disturbance to a whole lot of soft tissue in the area. Your incision is still healing. It will be months before you are outwardly fully recovered, and even then it will be a full year or more before everything heals up.

Your activity level may be too high too soon as well. Vacuuming??? Really....let the house go for a few more weeks. It's just dust. Short walks on level ground only. PT....Jo will tell you you don't need it at all....we Americans do love our PT....but you have to be careful not to let them push you to do too much too soon. Your body is telling you something, so listen to it. REST....ICE.....PAIN MEDS. You'll see a tremendous gain between 6 and 9 weeks if you pamper yourself now.

Sharon
 
I asked the PTherapist about the pain I'm having and she explained that it's the bone pain from being cut, pounded and drilled.
No it's not - it's from doing too much therapy. I don't know how many times I have to say this - seems like at least once each and every day - but hips really don't need much in the way of exercising. They have a very good way of sorting things out for themselves if given half a chance. All that's really needed is what's described in here Activity progression for THRs.
 
My PT and I have a very similar relationship :heehee: Often during a session, I'll tell her that we cant be friends anymore!! :)

I never said that to the PT but when I woke up in pain the second day after surgery I told my OS I hated him...he reminded me that I told him I loved him the day before. The man keeps very good records.

My dog steered clear of the walker too but when it was parked he became very interested in the tennis balls on the back legs. The day he tried to steal on of them... cured him of all interest in the walker.

Congrats on going walker free, I decided I just need to let go of it and only use it now in the kitchen, I can carry more and move faster with the walker than with the cane.
 
Had a setback yesterday. Went to get in my truck (which is very high off the ground) and stepped on the running board, and slipped.:yikes: Landed hard on my OP leg, and it immediately made me want to throw up.:sick: I was on my way to PT at the time. Got to PT, and they did nothing but some gentle stretching to try to relieve the pain. I'm paying for it today. I feel like such a complete wimp, I see other people walking a mile at this point (I'm almost 4 weeks) and I can barely walk to the truck. I'm planning on calling my OS in the next few days to find out if this is normal or if I should go back in and have this all checked out. I don't think I did any damage yesterday, it just made me sore. And mad. :hairpulling: I just want to get rid of this pain!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom