Guest viewing is limited

THR Jojool rides to the other side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojool, I know we've gone over this before, but wanted to share today's experience to give you a little more reassurance, as a sort of sanity check. I just went to the gym at the clubhouse to walk on the treadmill. It's the first time I've done that, because now I feel steady and confident enough to do a treadmill workout. (Probably could have done it sooner, but chose to wait.) Being able to do this makes a big difference, because it's soooo hot and humid in Florida. I know Arizona is terrible this time of the year, too. Working out in air-conditioning, with the fan from the treadmill blowing in my face, really helps.

STILL, I was only able to do 20 minutes, about 1/2 mile, at a 1.5 mph pace. That's half the pace I'd normally walk comfortably, but it was a real workout for me today. I was breaking a heavy sweat, despite the air-conditioning. I did walk 3/4 mile earlier, outside, but was really pushing myself too hard, and I had to do it because I was walking a circuit and couldn't get home unless I finished. And tomorrow is 6 weeks from surgery for me.

Jojool, you are 15 years younger than I am, and I think you are more athletic (horses, etc.), so I suspect you'll progress more rapidly than I am doing in terms of speed, distance, endurance. Still, we had the same surgery -- SuperPath -- so there is that element of comparability. And what we've read on this forum about "energy drain" is real and unavoidable. Even though I'm not in pain any longer, and I feel great, the surgery has certainly slowed me down for the time being.

One crucial thing to remember is that recovering from a major surgery like this requires a large element of "self-coaching." We need to be constantly encouraging ourselves, recognizing our progress, applauding ourselves for every small thing we can do, for every way in which we are feeling better. My concern with unrealistic "goals" like walking a mile after only 7 days is that they can make us feel badly about ourselves, and feel as though we are failing, when we are really succeeding magnificently.

I hope you weren't offended by what I said about your doctor's marketing initiatives. He is a brilliant surgeon, very well known and respected nationally, and I guess there are a few people who somehow rise from the dead and play nine holes of golf the day after total hip replacement. But that is NOT par for the course, and I get angry at the thought of anyone saying or doing anything to depress your spirits when you have been so brave, and overcome so much fear.
 
BeckyR thank you! Not offended at all, I agree. I guess my problem is, I'm still in quite alot of pain. Even with pain meds, the muscles HURT. More than I had anticipated, and I'm recovering slower (pain wise) than I had hoped. If I could walk more, I would, but it hurts quite a bit to even walk around my kitchen. Is there something wrong with me? Is that normal? I don't have the bone on bone pain anymore, but now it's more muscle/tendon pain which is like a huge charlie-horse that gets worse when I move. I go to the dr. on Thursday. he won't see me walking a mile, that's for sure.

Also, I haven't been able to poop since the day before surgery. I ahve done everything....short of drinking prune juice (ate a BUNCH of prunes last night). I'm concerned, but if I don't do the doo by Thursday I'll ask the Dr. about that too. What a pain this all is.

I agree that the depression and energy drain is definitely part of this surgery. I guess I thought I'd be further along after surgery than I am. Not that I can walk a MILE at day 7 (I know that is crazy stuff) but I'd like to think I could walk around my kitchen without the pain I'm having. I thought I'd be more stiff than sore, able to walk it out. It's just the opposite. The more I do (walking) the worse it gets.
:umm:
 
Jojool, Hi, sweetie, If you are still having so much pain, maybe you need more pain meds. What are you taking now, and how often? I was able to keep ahead of the pain, by staying on my meds, religiously, and not skimping. You are right, though; more exercise won't relieve the pain at this point. You need a lot of rest, and a certain amount of stretching and gentle exercises. You are only days out of surgery, Jojool. Just days!

For the constipation, I recommend Miralax, taken every single day. I put a capful in my morning coffee, every morning. It will take a couple of days to take effect, and the first bowel movement will be hard, because you are so backed up right now, but after that first time you'll be regular, and the bowel movements will be totally pain free, despite the constipating pain-killers.

I say this with confidence because I had monstrous constipation for 40 years (!) as a result of an illness that paralyzed my intestines. Over the years, it never really cleared up, and nothing resolved it until I discovered Miralax a little over a year ago. It really is a miracle, and for the first time in about 40 years I no longer have that problem. Try it, and you'll see. It's not a "laxative" per se, and you don't have to worry about taking it. It is super gentle. Those stool softeners are worthless.
 
Jojool, Accidentally posted before I was ready. Final comment -- what has helped me tremendously with muscle aches and soreness has been the massage from my physical therapist. It's called myofascial release. There is so much tightness in the muscles, and you need the physical help of this type of body work. When the time comes to find a physical therapist, make sure you get someone who does the therapeutic massage. It makes a world of difference. Keep the faith...you will feel much better, very soon.
 
Jojool. I have not been here much this past week so I just now popped in to see how you made out. I am so happy for you! You sound so great! And now you know for urself how easy it is snd how much better you feel immediately!!! I hear the fear in the words written here by people facing THR surgery and I just want to assure them how easy it is! Until you have done it you wouldnt believe it.

Keep up with the amzing recovery!!! I'm 7 weeks post-op now and haven't once had a moment when I regretted making the decision to have aTHR. Take care my :kittykiss: friend!
 
Jojool when you said "charlie horse" I knew exactly what you were talking about. I had an enormous charlie horse in my quads on op side, but for me walking didn't bother it. Your not being able to walk around the house without pain seems a bit odd. I wonder if the super-path incisions are so very small that they have to pull and twist muscles in tight spaces to the point that some people (you, say) have a lot of muscle pain after? You'll see him tomorrow, I know you're going to talk to him about this pain. He should be able to control it for you with meds! My charlie horse was sensitive to the touch, and prevented me from bending my knee too much. It took a couple of months to completely resolve, but I can now sit on my heels on the floor in (more or less!) perfect comfort. The knees complain, but hey.

I think you're setting a "no-go" record here, sadly. That is a large part of what's making you miserable. I was going to say milk of magnesia, but Miralax sounds excellent too. Also eat (I know, you're not hungry...) plenty of fiber and drink way more water than you want. Slosh! I was able to get by on sennakote, and only needed it for a week or so, because I'm just one of those lucky people in that department:heehee: You will really feel very much better when you get that big first out of the way :)

I've forgotten-- are you icing and elevating a whole lot? The ice will take down the swelling, which even though you may have less of it than us mere anteriors LOL, you do have. Elevation ditto.

BeckyR ahhhhhhh myofascial release, I am sooooo aching for some of that All Over My Body.....wish I hadn't read your post to make me jealous:rotfl:
 
Jojool hi surgery buddy, I am so sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. A week with no BM is serious! I was backed up for about 5 days and finally got to drink a bottle of mted bowelagnesium citrate, had success in 8 hours! Years ago a pharmacist recommended it for my hubby's constipation and I then I had to use it after my melanoma surgery. It only cost a dollar and change, comes in a glass bottle and should be chilled for better flavor. It recommends on the bottle that you ask your doctor if it is okay to use because it is a salt laxative and I guess it's bad for high blood pressure and other conditions where you shouldn't have salt.. It works by adding water to the colon. Both times I took it I had gentle relief. Whatever you do I hope you get quick relief and feel better soon! Don't wait any longer to do something. I have heard of cases where people have had to go to the ER to have their "impacted bowel" (what you have now) dug out by a nurse. When I worked as a nurses' aid out of high school I had to do that for some of the patients. First I would give an enema to the patient and then I had to dig out the impacted stool, with a gloved finger of course. I imagine it is very uncomfortable because they screamed a lot, but maybe it was with relief?
Please do something quick! An impacted bowel is serious!
 
Jojool how much exercise before surgery were you able to do? How much ROM do you have now compared to before? That might be why you have so much muscle pain. Those muscles might be waking up now after not being used for several months and if that's the case you will have pain in them for a while. I don't think that has anything to do with the surgery, just muscles. If you have any muscle pain in one area you can massage that out yourself by using your knuckles and hold pressure on the spot until you feel the pain relieving. It gets better, I had the same thing right after surgery I wondered too what was this about but it did go away. The drugs are causing your bathroom issues so definitely take the advice from those on here and get relief fast. Once you get that solved you will feel so much better. I took those laxatives that work over night and that did the trick for me.
 
zauberflöte am finally learning how to use this site! Now that I have more time I see how when I start to type a few letters of a name a list comes up and today I see the alerts dealie at the top. It sure took me long enough to learn these two things, I have been here on and off since March
I saw on my discharge instruction sheet that I can take tylenol so I didn't bother calling the doctor. I also talked with my PT about the tylenol and the weaning of the oxycontin, he always gets my OS's hip patients and he reports to my OS about my progress. He verified that what I was doing is all correct.
According to Rx List The Internet Drug Index "OxyContin (oxycodone hydrochloride controlled-release) is an opioid analgesic supplied in 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg, and 80 mg tablets for oral administration. The tablet strengths describe the amount of oxycodone per tablet as the hydrochloride salt.....
Oxycodone is a white, odorless crystalline powder derived from the opium alkaloid, thebaine. Oxycodone hydrochloride dissolves in water (1 g in 6 to 7 mL). It is slightly soluble in alcohol (octanol water partition coefficient 0.7).

The 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg and 80 mg tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), hypromellose, polyethylene glycol 400, polyethylene oxide, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide."


There is no tylenol in Oxycontin or oxycodone , both are oxycodone and derived from the opium alkaloid thebaine ,so it is safe to add the tylenol.
I looked up the descriptions and side effects when I started to feel better because I wanted to see what drug was causing the dry, itchy skin and dry mouth. That was one reason I wanted to take less oxy but add tylenol hoping to have less pain, another was the mushy brains :)
I never did find out how on earth that small 10 mg. pill could be controlled-release. I don't miss it though, I don't know why, I feel the same during the day now as far as pain goes, without it and I am more alert so it's all good!
 
Runaround Sue I used Biotene mouth wash and spray for that cotton mouth, in the drug store with the Listerine etc. Your brains will continue to return, and now that you're an expert on using the site, you'll have even more fun! :)
 
BeckyR
"Ocycodone is with acetaminophen . Percocet is oxycodone and acetaminophen. oxycontin is the purer, stronger more addictive of the two. Oxycontin is serious stuff."

It's all oxycodone according to the drug sites. Oxy-contin is oxycodone with contin-uous relief for 12 hours, therefore the name oxy CONTIN (that's how the pharmacy spelled it in Caps). How they manage to make it 12 hour release I haven't been able to find out yet, but I love a mystery so I will keep looking.
Don't worry about me becoming an addict :), I have had other narcotics over my 68 years and always preferred and got better relief from plain old aspirin. I was tired of the side effects several days ago and instead of taking the 2 oxy-CODONE every 4 hours as allowed/prescribed by the doctor I added a 500mg. tablet of tylenol.
Then yesterday I cut out the morning dose of oxy-CONTIN per doctor's discharge orders, weaning myself off of the drug after 7-10 days of surgery. Now I will only be taking the nightime dosage until I quit altogether because the pain is gone or I take them until I run out. My orders are to take the 5 mg. fast acting oxy-CODONE as needed from this point on. I never had a strong dosage of either oxy, just the lowest strengths.
 
The eagle has landed......finally poo! :egypdance: Who would've thought I'd be so excited about pooping. All without an enema, thank God! I've cut back on the percocets, and wah-lah, I went! :happydance:

Finally feeling like I'm climbing out of the cloud I've been in since surgery. Maybe it's the drugs, maybe the lack of sleep (it's been fitful) but I was in such a fog over the last week I could hardly function. Still in some pain but nothing too bad. I did discover Magnesium Citrate for the bowel problems, and it has an added benefit. It relaxes "smooth muscles" (ie, bowel) but also relaxes those muscles that have been moved and tugged on during surgery. I feel so much better since I've started taking it. I am taking the pill form. Tried Milk of Magnesia and almost threw that back up. Ewwww. That stuff is disgusting.:eeeuw:

I'm still using the walker but I'm walking without a limp. Went to the OS appt. yesterday and all looks good from their end. It was quite an ordeal, getting out of the house, driving 1-1/2 hours (my hubby drove) and doing the doctor thing. I ended up exhausted by the time we got home, and spent the afternoon in bed. I feel like i'm still trying to recover from that trip.....been sleepy all day.:sleep:

That's my poopy update for today. :flwrysmile:
 
YAY! :yahoo::yay: Isn't that a tremendous relief and a great feeling! I have had a rough time in that department since the surgery. Yesterday I was thinking about how President Eisenhower died on the toilet while trying to poop, and Elvis Presley as well! I didn't want to be discovered on that four-inch toilet riser with my pants down around my ankles :heehee: .
It's great to hear that you are finally feeling much better and you got all that out of the way!
 
Jojool I'm happy you are doing better. My surgery still is over a month away, but it gives me hope to hear you are doing well (even tho you've had some blips along the road). I'll be so glad to get this over with and on the road to recovery. I'm having trouble with the waiting. I ordered that Bellaruth Napperstek CD and have been using it.

Peace and love to you, and I"ll keep you in my prayers as always.
 
Day 10 recovery.....

Feeling a little better every day. I can't say I feel near 100%, maybe 60%, but better than I did pre-surgery. I'm frustrated a little bit, because I had imagined I'd be up and about without my walker by now. I tried going into the kitchen without my "new best friend" and regretted it once I got to the kitchen. Still quite a lot of pain in my butt and stiffness in the front.

I'm down to taking 1 oxycodone as needed. They only prescribed me 40 more and once they are gone, if I need a refill I have to drive back to the Dr's office to pick up the scrip. Simply rediculous, I understand it's because of the problem with drugs now-adays but what a pain in the butt. The OS office is roughly 1-1/2 hours one way from my house. So, I'm rationing my "drugs" and using only if completely necessary. It kinda sucks.

One of my specific problems with recovery is, I am allergic to Celebrex. I understand that Celebrex helps with the inflammation and thus helps with pain management, and I can't take it. I'm on aspirin now, so can't even take ibuprofen. blah.

I AM GLAD I did the surgery, for all of you out there that are still awaiting surgery. Please don't let my posts get you down! It's still not as bad as it was PRE surgery, and if I had the choice to do it all over again, I would most definitely!!! :thumb:
 
Jojool, what about adding tylenol to the mix? Jo thinks it's an even better pain reliever than ibuprofen. Take it on a consistent basis so you get the full benefit, instead of trying to play catch-up. (And that's the problem with taking the Oxycodone "as needed." If you wait until you need it, you've waited too long, and you are starting from scratch. You're never getting the full pain relief effect you should be getting.)

Why on earth can't your doctor call your RX in to a pharmacy? That's what my doctor did when I needed another rx of vicodin. Not making sense to me. Do you have a family doctor/gen.practitioner closer to you who could help you out here?

Anyway, you really are progressing quite normally. 10 days is nothing. But often, folks see a real difference at the three week mark. Right now....keep on resting and icing and resting some more. And raise holy heck about getting adequate pain medication!

Sharon
 
sharonslp in answer to your question, they CAN call in a scrip for Vicodin or Norco, but can't call in one for percocet anymore. Federal rules. Pain in the butt rules if you ask me. I may ask for Norco just so I have something on hand, and will try the tylenol. I know they gave me tylenol in the hospital, every 6 hours. I just didn't think I could take tylenol and percocet together? I think what I'll do is vary the meds, every 6 hours take either the percs or tylenol, but not together.

On another note, my regular Dr. will NOT call in vicodin or norco, they make me come to the office and pick up the scrip. They are only 1/2 hour away though, not as much of a pain but still a pain!
 
Percocet has tylenol in it, so you do have to make sure to count it when you add up your daily total, and make sure not to go above 4000 mg. The US recommendation was changed recently to 3000 mg, but I believe that's because so many people get tylenol in combo with other drugs. Here's an article from the library about it:

Medications: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers

Does vicodin work for you? If so, maybe that's your solution when the oxy runs out. It worked well for me, and we all know that it sure worked for Dr. House. :)

Also, what about something like tramadol as you transition to less potent drugs. Another one that worked well for me, and many others. But some people have trouble with it. It's all pretty much trial and error, isn't it!!

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom