THR Jojool rides to the other side...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! Are you bruising? If the incision is closed arnica might help. Don't feel badly about not walking a mile. Could not do it a four weeks, either, but was able to a few weeks later. A lot depends on muscle strngth, and it can take a while to rebuild. My flutes were flat after surger. It made moving harder. Calling the OS is a good idea. Shouldn't you be going in for a post op check soon?
 
My 2nd post op check is on the 29th. My first one was a week after surgery. I don't have any surgical site pain, it's just deep in the groin. (no bruising)
 
Just spoke with my OS PA. She is wonderful. I explained the pain I've been having, and she told me it is the Iliospsoas tendon/muscle which has been aggravated during and after surgery. At least that's what she thinks it is. I've been told to use heat, Ibuprofen (stop the aspirin), and NO PT until at least next week. If I don't get any relief, she said they will want to examine and xray me again, to be sure the prosthesis is ok. I'm praying that it's only that tendon!!! I will keep you posted.
 
Interesting.....seems like we'll see a bunch of posts for a while all about IT band issues; then for a few weeks, there will be a flurry of piriformis posts. This week must be iliopsoas week!! Hope this clears up quickly for you, Jojool. Here's a couple articles from the library, if you haven't seen them yet.

Iliopsoas impingement after THR
Iliopsoas syndrome

Sharon
 
Jojool I had one of those moments where I tripped and had to take all of my weight onto my op leg...SO scary!! :scary: Its great to hear that your pain is most likely soft tissue related (as mine was), hopefully with rest and heat, you'll be as good as new in no time!
 
Thank you sharonslp for those articles, they explain exactly what I'm feeling! And, Meggzie it was scary to hit the ground with that foot, that's for sure.
 
I am afraid of missing the side of the SUV when I get in it but it is my only option since my car is way to low to the ground and I twist way to much to get behind the wheel...I miss my car! Hope you are feeling better and this only was a over zealous stretch.
 
Hope it clears up quickly. Not exercising for a while sounds like a good idea. Very glad you were able to speak to the PA.
 
What a fantabulous day I had today! My honey and I took our ATV (Polaris Ranger, 2 seater) on a long trailride today. It's my first time 'out and about' since surgery. We went to a local restaurant and had lunch. I walked a LOT using my cane, but my hip feels fantastic! I'm so excited that it finally looks like I have my life back. At least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's bright.

One thing I'm concerned about though, I'm supposed to start PT again tomorrow. Since NOT going to PT, my hip has felt 100% better. I'm scared to go to PT, but everyone tells me I have to to regain my ROM. What do you think Josephine? Should I go to PT and risk pain again, or skip it and let it work itself out? I have quite a nice ROM right now, not perfect but I think I've learned enough in PT to know what exercises to do and which to avoid.
 
but everyone tells me I have to to regain my ROM
Who's 'everyone'? Whoever they are know nowt! If in your opinion you have a 'nice ROM', then why mess with it? You're only 5 weeks out and doing well. Let it be. You can do some exercises on your own.
 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I guess I'd want to know exactly what the goals of PT would be at this point. If you can achieve those goals without going, then....why go? If you can't achieve the goals, how will PT accomplish it WITHOUT aggravating the psoas muscles this time?

I came to this forum several years ago quite entrenched with the idea that PT was only a good thing, and didn't understand why anyone would not seek it. I switched surgeons for several reasons; one was that he didn't prescribe PT. While I've had mostly good experiences with PT, I now completely understand that it may not be necessary in the first place, and it has the potential to do more harm than good. For me, I am a total slug when it comes to exercising on my own. I really need the external push that a therapist offers. But it's all too easy to let a PT push a little too much a little too fast....they are the experts and we want to please them. So if you do go back, stay VERY attuned to what feels right and simply refuse when something feels wrong.

Or...wait a while longer and see how you continue to do on your own. PT will always be there later if you need it.

Sharon
 
Jojool I quit PT because I came close to being hurt. The P Therapist did admit to me that she had never had someone who had one surgery and needed another back before I had both surgeries. After I had the second surgery I waited a few weeks before going back and after going a few weeks I quit completely. Since I quit my legs have continued to heal and get stronger. Every move you make is therapy for your legs and it sounds like you're feeling so much better not going, I think you have your answer. Your ROM will get better and better although you may need to do stretches to get it back completely. Give yourself time to heal it won't happen over night.
 
My OS doesn't prescribe PT past the at home visits immediately after surgery. I thought I was in need of more and even found a hydro theraphy center, when I ask him for a scrip to go there he ask me why? Was I planning on running a marathon in the very near furure or trying out for cirque du soilei...his thoughts are give the hip, leg, muscles time and they will heal naturally. However when pushed he did say he would prescribe PT if there were problems, thankfully I had none of them!

Have a great week!
 
Hi Jojool , I have had both hips replaced this year and had 4 sessions of very light PT with the first and no PT with the second. I have had fantastic straightforward recoveries with both with no problems at all. I am a very keen walker and use that as my excercise together with occasional cycling. Most days I walk through woods and fields with my dog for 1.5 hours and I think that the uneven ground and inclines have really helped to regain good ROM. I feel it has worked very well for me and I never give my hips a second thought in anything I do now. Sounds like you are well on your way to a good recovery.
 
Thanks everyone! I cancelled the rest of my Pt sessions.....and will do it on my own at home.

Since NOT going to PT, I feel much better. Very little pain and the ROM is pretty good. I know I have a ways to go, but I'm feeling optimistic!

Next step is getting well enough to throw a leg over the saddle on my horse. Tomorrow's goal is to go out and spend some quality time with my animals. It's been horribly hot here (106* today!) but the mornings are gorgeous (low 70*'s) and that's when I feel the best anyhow. Can't wait to smell like a horse again! For those of you with horses, you KNOW what I'm talking about! :flwrysmile:
 
Jojool Wonderful that you are doing so well!

I think I remember you being apprehensive before surgery, no? Did your blood ressure go oup because you were scared? Mine is, and I am afraid they won't do the surgery (preanesthesia said they wouldn't) if it doesn't come down.

Thanks.
 
Hi Jojool! I am so glad to see you are doing well after the slip you had getting in the truck. Now getting on the horse sounds painful to me. That hip abduction ROM is my biggest problem both before and after surgery. I absolutely dread that exercise the most. I hope it's easier for you and you are able to throw your leg over the saddle and get riding soon. Ride 'em cowboy, surgery buddy!
 
Butterfly yes, I was scared about the surgery. But, on the day before surgery and that night, the fear left me for some reason and I accepted it. I accepted the fact that I was going to be FINE. You need to do that too. You have the right to be apprehensive, but there's no need to be terrified. You will do fine....the surgery and recovery has been the easy part! I think the worst part of all of this was the fear and nervousness pre-surgery.

Hang in there!

Runaround Sue thank you! I can't WAIT to get back in the saddle. I can't explain it....except that I've been a horse addict for over 45 years and riding is my passion. I haven't been able to ride since January of 2013, and it has been the absolute worst thing in the world to me. It is my sanity, my therapy and my exercise.
 
Josephine Just a quick question, which may be stupid but here goes: I have a UTI. I haven't been able to go to the Dr. yet (weekend) to get antibiotics. Should I worry about infection in the hip from infection in my bladder? I'm thinking I should probably go to an urgent care, but wasn't sure if it makes any difference.

Thanks. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom