JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JMACCA - I'm lucky enough to be home-based too. Our business is a few miles away but my husband and I are able to work from our individual studies at home and then go in for meetings when necessary. I don't miss the travel and find the mix of being able to work at odd hours and juggle that with chucking clothes at the washing machine or food in the slow cooker a bonus. On bad days I can get away with sitting in my PJs at my computer and convince people at the other end of the phone I am booted and suited and sitting in a plus office block. They're not to know the difference. Once we travelled abroad all over the South of France and into Tuscany in our caravan for a month (did over 2000 miles) and managed to keep working throughout. I remember a photo my husband took of me dressed in shorts sitting in a Tuscan olive grove at my laptop doing an online demonstration to a customer back in England. They knew no difference - so it works :tada:
And yes, we end up with a couple of zips each side - our badges of honour - and then we can move forward. Isn't it great!
 
What wonderful news for you ! The days are ticking down. Keep posting and letting us know how you doing :spin::yes!:
 
Once we travelled abroad all over the South of France and into Tuscany in our caravan for a month (did over 2000 miles) and managed to keep working throughout.

Isn't it fab that we can do that - it took a lot of work convincing work to do it and that I can still produce the same quality of work, but I have. I video conference, call, train and do all the things I would normally do. I really dont need to be in the office to do my job.

_________________________________________

Having a 'doubting' day today. Questioning whether or not my hips are the issue *sigh*

I had to travel to another state yesterday however due to weather I was stuck in the airport for 4 hours and in two ridiculously long queues for over an hour with no sitting down. Today I expected my hips to be screaming in pain, but I am in my 'normal' ranges. WHHHYYYYYYY???? I dont understand. There are days that I would be crippled and then others when I expect to be crippled that I am not.

How does that happen??
 
Having a 'doubting' day today. Questioning whether or not my hips are the issue *sigh*

I had to travel to another state yesterday however due to weather I was stuck in the airport for 4 hours and in two ridiculously long queues for over an hour with no sitting down. Today I expected my hips to be screaming in pain, but I am in my 'normal' ranges. WHHHYYYYYYY???? I dont understand. There are days that I would be crippled and then others when I expect to be crippled that I am not.

How does that happen??

I had that pre-op too jmacca. Others have described it as your body having adrenaline and good endorphins because you have made the decision for the surgery and are ready to go ahead with it.
I had this multiple times during the lead up to my surgeries. Your surgeon would not have agreed to do the surgery if he did not think your hips were bad enough to warrant it. They have a medical oath to do no harm so keep that in mind. And before you travelled did you prepare by resting- you said you have been working from home more- this is likely to have had an impact on your pain levels.

Xx


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Doubt is very normal. There's just too much time to think sometimes. It's a hard balance between wishing time away and making the most of that time.

Hang in.
 
Having a 'doubting' day today. Questioning whether or not my hips are the issue *sigh*
How are you doing now my Smartie friend? This rollercoaster ride of bad days and sort of able to cope days are a bit of a puzzle, although I find that standing for ages, carrying anything heavier than my phone, pushing, pulling, lifting all aggravate terribly. The weather has an effect on me too. We're now in a colder sometimes wetter time of year and that gnaws on my hips, lower back and muscles down my legs. I usually just push through. The facts are there though - your OS has looked at the evidence and given you an opinion, and he's seen stuff like this before. Just look back at your very earliest posts - crying on the train home. Made me wince for you - we all understand that horrible feeling. I'm sure that once you've had Hip #1 done you'll be convinced. :console2:
 
Having a 'doubting' day today. Questioning whether or not my hips are the issue *sigh*

I had to travel to another state yesterday however due to weather I was stuck in the airport for 4 hours and in two ridiculously long queues for over an hour with no sitting down. Today I expected my hips to be screaming in pain, but I am in my 'normal' ranges. WHHHYYYYYYY???? I dont understand. There are days that I would be crippled and then others when I expect to be crippled that I am not.

How does that happen??
I had days like that but I found things were cumulative or delayed - the next day would be fine but it would hit later when I'd not done much at all.
Your doctors won't do surgery for no reason. Trust them and trust your instincts.
 
Doubt is very normal.

Your doctors won't do surgery for no reason. Trust them and trust your instincts.

Thank you ladies for your beautiful messages, and yes you are right @Zelda, they don't do surgery for no reason.

How are you doing now my Smartie friend?

Thank you for asking @Miss Muffet! Today I had 'hip class' at the hospital. We nearly didn't make it as my husband threw-up :sick: on the way there (he suffers from terrible anxiety) in the car, and I find that I need to remain calm even when I am nervous, so he doesn't 'feed' off my energy.

The class was great. Really sensible advice but nothing new from what I have heard here on this amazing forum. I was mainly going for my husband, so he knows what to expect. I sat with a nurse and explained my husbands anxiety and mentioned the mornings events (he was getting a coffee and having a moment on his own), and she has immediately suggested that I stay at the hospital right from my first admission until after I have had my second surgery (1.5 weeks later). What they will do is move me to their rehab wing, and then back to the ward after my second surgery. She confirmed this with the orthopaedic nurses and they have said it was a no brainer and that it would happen.

I am trying to convince my husband that I am fine to go to hospital on my own. I find that with his anxiety, I can't relax and I am always on guard 'caring' for him. He gets incredibly anxious around hospitals and large events such as this. I am even considering staying in a hotel the night before and catching a cab to the hospital in the morning. Does that seem awful? I have planted the 'seed' with him and I have a month to convince him.

Also, I suffer from sleep apnea. This immediately gets me a private room - nice! However, it also gets me a bed in ICU for the night after my ops as they are "overly cautious" with sleep apnea patients.

One thing that I loved was that I felt 'at home' with others that obviously are suffering like I am. It validated how I feel - I know that seems SO weird to say. I am so excited to start this next phase...

I am really stoked with the outcome of the session. It was sensible, practical and logical. The nurses ran it and said anything you need - ice, medication, help in any way simply ask and we will 'always have something up our sleeves' that we can do for you.

I feel so relaxed about the whole thing. It is 30 days away today and I am SO buzzed! Tired and in pain but super happy!
 
Glad the hip class helped get you "stoked" . Hoping this helps calm your husband's anxiety. I know I deal with things like this better when it involves me rather than when it involves my kids or spouse.
 
Hoping this helps calm your husband's anxiety

Me too. While I would love the company, I think that it is best that he remains at home from the hospital on the first day - I will be spending the night in the ICU so there is not much point him being there. I will send him pics and do FaceTime - anything to keep him OK.
 
Ah @JMACCA - so very sorry to hear how much your hubby suffers from anxiety. I think the suggestion of an overnighter ahead of surgery is a really good one. It will settle you and if he finds the hospital stressful that could make you anxious too as a result, which as you say is an extra burden. The hospital staff sound very understanding which must give you reassurance. FaceTime is a bonus at these times as well. You can pick your time and they don't need to leave home.
 
@JMACCA ~ Just caught up on your thread, and can I offer a bit of advice in your planning...and count-down? It's in regard to having your 'roots' done the day before your scheduled surgery. I don't know about you, but when I have my 'roots' done, I try to last as long as possible before washing it....sorta letting the color really take hold. I can go three days before washing my short hair after a visit to the salon. Seems the quicker I wash it, the soon it fades. I'm mentioning this because the hospital will probably require you to either wash your hair the night before or the morning of your surgery.....and trust me, their antibacterial shampoo is not-so-gentle on our lovely locks! We were told not to use any conditioner, no hair spray, to 'products' of any kind! I have no idea why since they immediately cover your hair with those pretty blue bonnets, but them's the rules! Just advising, girl-to-girl.....gotta protect your 'root' investment....if I were you, I'd have my hair done either the week before, or at least enough days ahead for you to wash it gently before the harsh shampoo.

I'm so glad you are stoked and looking forward the next venture in your life.
 
I'm there with @Nana2-8. I leave it till the very last minute. My highlights are getting attention the day before my next surgery. I'll not be able to drive there so will get my chauffeur (Mr M) to drop me at the hairdresser's door. Legs waxed the week before too - all gel nail polish was removed from fingers and toes just before my postponed date, so those boxes are ticked. In order to alleviate my disappointment at being rescheduled I will console myself by booking a relaxing facial. Vanity, yes but it's how we girls get through.
 
The hospital staff sound very understanding
Oh they were so lovely! I really hope that they are all like that!

sorta letting the color really take hold.

I love the idea @Nana2-8! In fact, last night I booked my hair in for the day before surgery. I am a platinum blonde so when the roots show they really show! The cleaning product they gave me they said "don't do your hair!" in fact they really just mentioned to use it on the hip area, groin and upper legs and otherwise just clean yourself normally. I didn't ask about wearing deodorant though....hmmm??

Legs waxed the week before too

I was going to do that too but now I am so scared about getting a blister, pimple or cut I am not sure I want to now!!
 
Re leg waxing - I was told it mustn't be done less than a week beforehand. I felt it better to get waxed as it lasts longer and no nicks involved, but you should follow your instincts. My instructions are no deodorants, body lotion, perfume or other products, but no mention of hair condition (though I didn't bother with hairspray regardless). I only offer this but I know different countries/hospitals/medics have differing ideas.
 
Feeling considerably low today - the last couple of days have been bad. Yesterday I spent most of the day in bed. The cortisone is wearing off on my right hip - which is my bad one. Sitting down and then getting up is especially painful and I have been waking again during the night with my hips just throbbing. 25 days to go - 17 days of work. I feel like I am dragging this body to the finish line. I am especially tired at the moment from it all.

I also found out that I was rating my pain the wrong way - what I thought was a 4-5 is actually a 6-7. I have felt a 10 a handful of times. But I am much higher on the scale on a daily basis. At the moment I am an 8-9. No wonder I am feeling so lousy. I just want to hide in a cave until all this is over.

How do I cope until its 'time'? How do I keep up 'appearances'?? I just want to burst into tears at the drop of a hat.

I have no energy left at the moment. I am not really taking pain medication at the moment as I find that it really doesn't do all that much except make me drowsy and 'disconnected'.

I have a big couple of weeks ahead of me where I need to travel for work - that really concerns me. The energy involved is huge. I cannot wait until all I have to do is lie in bed and heal.
 
@JMACCA - we're in tune my dear friend. It is of no consolation but I've been having a really lousy time now for 2-3 days. My pain has moved to the inside of my groin and I have to shuffle my leg, as lifting it to walk is unbearable. Pain is exhausting and a lonely thing. I do understand how easy it is to feel despair. You did the right thing resting in bed. If I wake with pain in the night I place a soft pillow under my knees and that does help. Are you icing? - I'm having to resort to that now. And, sorry but I've lost track, are you using walking aids of any sort? I'd urge you to if not as it does make some difference. Crutches are best - and people tend to be more aware by offering seats, opening doors and getting out of your way. :console2:
 
we're in tune my dear friend. It is of no consolation but I've been having a really lousy time now for 2-3 days.

Oh I feel for you! :friends:

are you using walking aids of any sort?

I have been using a walking stick for nearly a year now. It doesn't do a whole lot as it is both my hips - I just swap it depending on which is hurting the most. Crutches do seem a more sensible option, I just hate being tethered to them.

I have made an appointment to see a GP tomorrow, but not my normal one as I couldn't get in to see him. Same practice though. I am going to see if I can get some pain relief.

You mention icing - does it help at this stage? before the op?
 
Juanita (same name as mine, different lingo!). I'd really urge you to go for crutches. Remember, the idea of them is to take the load and, having 2 rotten hips, a single stick can't give both of them some relief. I'm using a stick inside the house if I'm not moving much and resort to crutches inside when I'm feeling particulary bad, and most definitely when venturing out. OK so they're a bit of a bind but if you have things to carry use a lightweight rucksack and really think about what you need to carry in it and limit it to necessities. I even switched my leather purse for a small drawstring bag to hold credit cards and cash as it all makes a difference. Any unnecessary load is extra pressure on our joints. I moved a bucket of water yesterday and within a very short period I knew I'd made a mistake. And icing - yes - don't forget we use it to help reduce inflammation postOp and one of the reasons you're hurting is because your joints are inflamed. So get icing ASAP. I'm not sure what your job entails but I wonder If your work has a freezer compartment and if so I'd have some sat there ready to use when you're sat at your desk. I'm now sleeping every night with that soft pillow under my knees. It releases the lower back - do try it now and definitely postOp. Let's hope the alternative pain relief will hit the right button. I definitely think it's a good idea to ask as there are a number available. You're counting down now so getting through this last patch means getting help in every way possible is key.
Let us know how you get on.:console2:
 
Juanita (same name as mine, different lingo!)

Yes absolutely! Jane is my 'coffee name' - when I order coffee and they ask my name I say "Jane" as Juanita is too hard for them to spell in Oz. I used to hate my name and always want to be called Jane.

So get icing ASAP.
Yes! I will now! I didn't think that it would make such a big difference before the op.

I went to the Dr today - I saw someone else and my regular was not available - she was great! My usual GP is really funny about giving out pain relief, but this DR was really reasonable. She has given me oxy (low dose) and panadeine forte. Enough to last me 2 weeks. I have never had oxy, but I find panadeine forte pretty useless.

I had the oxy tonight - wow! even at a low dose it is not bad at all. I actually caught myself smiling! That is a rarity lately! The DR was very pragmatic talked through options and allowed me to choose and told me if it didnt work to up the dose. What a different experience! My normal GP would reluctantly give me anything.

I will consider the crutches Jane, I think I will try them when I come back from interstate. The hospital actually has asked us all to practice with them prior to surgery as well.

Not too much longer for you to go!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom