JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DizzyBlond 's experience sounds very similar to mine. My left hip especially just gave up - it went very quickly from feeling normal and healthy with only the x-ray to say there was a problem to being absolute agony the evening or day after I'd done any kind of activity.

@JMACCA You're not going crazy. Hang in there, take things easy even on what feels like a good day and you'll get through to November.
 
@JMACCA
I went through the same thing (pain to no pain and back again) for about a year. Finally the pain stopped disappearing, so I went forward with my THR's. I wasted an entire year of my life hoping my AVN would resolve itself (which I was told it could happen). If I could do it over again, I wouldn't wait a day to schedule surgery.
 
Well, for some stupid reason, I am starting to wonder if I am doing the right thing and getting quite nervous about the road ahead.

Seriously, this is not a fun rollercoaster to be on...

Why am I thinking like this - is this normal??

74 days to go and why aren't I looking forward to this??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JMACCA Hey there! I had the same thing happen a month or so ago. I was doing pretty good and was thinking, maybe I should wait another year. Then my husband and I went up to northern Arizona to get out of the summer heat. I couldn't do things I wanted to do with him up there. Mostly would have loved to go hiking out in the pine trees. I cant even walk over uneven concrete in the city, there was no way I would be able to walk in soft dirt and up hills and over rocks. It made me sad. But it also made me wish my surgery was sooner. LOL

I am not nervous today. But a week or so ago I was worrying about all the little things. Like what reactions I will have to the meds and what if I do something wrong and make the implant loose and have to have a revision. I am sure I will be worrying again soon. I try to just make my self do something to get my mind off the surgery when this happens. But it is so hard sometimes.

Maybe you need to read through your posts on here and remember how bad it is for you sometimes? Maybe that will help with the thoughts going through your head.

Hang in there. :)
 
@JMACCA I agree that it could be helpful to read back through your old threads to remind you were you have been. I did that a few times. Both when things were bad and when they were good.

@Tweetybrd it is amazing what we can let ourselves get used to. We struggle along with decreased ability to do normal things for a while and it becomes our new normal. Sometimes it takes a moment like your trip to remind you of what you are missing.
 
@JMACCA - I remember those days of thinking it maybe wasn't so bad, and maybe I could hang on - I was so scared of the surgery, this seemed like a possibility. I went to work for my first full post-op day today and it really made me realise how much I had put up with before. Today I could walk everywhere I needed to go, sit down, stand up and really participate in the day. Several people said I look like a different person, and that's how I feel! I know I'm not the only person on here to say that, and we are all cheering you on to join us :friends:.

@Tweetybrd - I'm so sorry that your walking limitations made you sad. I remember that too - I also had the feeling that something (or everything!) would go wrong and the surgery wouldn't work! I WAS SO WRONG!!! :yay:
 
Yes, I am at that same point. Pain is not too bad right now. In my head, I am constantly questioning. I have to keep remembering when I had the first hip scheduled .my OS said both hips were equally bad, but that he didn't do bilateral replacement. I started keeping a diary of the pain in the hip having the replacement and I am doing the same for my left hip. When I am in the "pain free questioning zone" I go back and read. That really helps.
 
I love and agree with everyone's comments regarding your current roller coaster ride, Juanita! Those of us who have gone through those pre-op jitters completely understand the tug-of-war you're feeling right now. I like the idea of going back over your thread here, if you haven't kept a "pain diary" as @Medfordart suggested. Taking a look back, reading what you posted on your worst days of pain will remind you just WHY you're doing this! You have been diagnosed with bilateral FAI.... you've done everything possible to deal with the pain - none of it successful in relieving you of it on those most miserable days. This won't get better, and can only get worse. Those were the words written to me when I posted my doubts and concerns, on those "should I, shouldn't I?" days. I remember telling my husband that I should really reconsider having this major surgery when I'd had a decent day or two. He'd smile and tell me to enjoy it, because the pain would be back before I knew it. He was right. And yes, what you're feeling is perfectly normal!!!!!!! xoxoxxox
 
I was just checking up on you and have to tell you I agree with everyone else . I too had those good and bad days until one day I noticed there were more bad than good. I also noticed that my participation in life had dropped a lot. I did what I had to and very rarely anything else. I think it is a great idea to read your thread as was suggested. I think a lot of us had the doubts you are experiencing right up to the day of surgery. I think the logical mind really wants to weigh things out and rationalize every little thing...mine does so I think it is normal to have those doubts. I kept reminding myself to look at the whole picture and when I did I realized I was missing out on to much. I knew it had gotten worse as time passed and not better. I knew I had to change things and for me there was only one option according to the doctors. I told myself they would not be willing to do this if it were not a viable option for improvement in my pain relief and improved range of motion. That all being said only you will know when the time is right for you. I have had some rough times during my recovery (most of us have ) but, I still don't regret my decision. I now have real hope of living a more active and fullfilling life like I once did. I hope you find some peace about this decision. Hugs .
 
Most weeks I notice I am doing something for "the first time since..." and more and more they are things I had stopped doing five, six, seven years ago. At the time, I hadn't even noticed I was avoiding some of these simple activities.

Only you can make the decision. At times in my surgery and recovery process I have wanted to scream in frustration because it's not always easy, even when you are financially secure and have the support of family and friends and there's always the spectre of possibly having to go through it all again some time in the future. For me, it was absolutely the best thing and it feel miraculous, like someone has wiped ten years of ageing off my body.
 
@Tweetybrd it is amazing what we can let ourselves get used to.
So totally agree with this!

I know I'm not the only person on here to say that, and we are all cheering you on to join us
Thank you so much!!

I started keeping a diary of the pain

Really great idea...

And yes, what you're feeling is perfectly normal!!!!!!!

Oh to be normal! thank you for your positive words!

I was just checking up on you

Aw thanks!

For me, it was absolutely the best thing and it feel miraculous, like someone has wiped ten years of ageing off my body.

Oh i cannot wait for that!!

---------------------------------

THANK YOU so much for your kind words and support everyone!

Last week I received a call from the surgeon's office telling me to hurry up and get things sorted. LOL. I think I have been unconsciously distancing myself of what has to happen as I am starting to get nervous and have been focussing on other demands on my time (like work).

Today, it is 47 days until my surgery. Holy moly! It may seem like a long time, but when I break it down, it is only 33 days of work left and only 6 weekends left! That time will fly as I have 3 work trips in that time plus X-rays and blood work to be done, not to mention plenty of other things to drag my attention away to having surgery.

I sat down today and did all my hospital paperwork - boy there is a lot of it!! I have butterflies in my tummy. I think it is the unknown. Nothing different I am sure to how others here have felt.

The day before surgery I will be working from home, and plan to have my hair done the night before (LOL no-one wants dark roots showing!) More as a distraction than anything.

Hip school is planned - I will book that in tomorrow.

It is now all systems go!!
 
Just keep your eye on the prize @JMACCA ! When all this is behind you the world will be an exciting place. No one looks forward to major surgery. So set some small goals for yourself. Something you want to do in the future and focus on the positive.
 
When all this is behind you the world will be an exciting place

Thank you so much for your positive and uplifting message @Jaycey - you are so right, no one looks forward to the surgery. I am really excited to be having this done, I can't wait for the next 'phase' of my life! If it is anything like when I had the anesthetic in my hip I will be doing cartwheels! LOL not immediately though :heehee:
 
I can't tell you how excited I am for you, Juanita!! The waiting can be difficult! I got impatient, I was so ready to get moving and get on with life! You've been on all of our threads long enough to know what to expect post surgery, and I'm just another voice wanting to encourage you as you count the days till surgery - it'll be here before you know it!! Once you've got those two shiny new hips and work through your recovery, you'll truly find yourself in a whole new phase of life, indeed!
(I daresay you just might do those cartwheels!!! :dancy:)
xoxox
 
I'm just another voice wanting to encourage you as you count the days till surgery - it'll be here before you know it!! Once you've got those two shiny new hips and work through your recovery, you'll truly find yourself in a whole new phase of life, indeed!

Aw you are so sweet! Thank you so much for your kind words, I am super excited, I expect that the time will go fast (I am super busy at work so things always seem to go faster!), I have started 'nesting', I have work trips away for the next month and 44 days to go - WAHHOO! Let's do this thing!
 
@JMACCA

I'm chiming in from the knee side...hope that's okay! I got caught up in your journey too and I was so pleased to see you finally get your date! I wanted to say that I completely understand the "you're too young" to have surgery speech. But I think in both of our circumstances, the pain and lack of quality of life overrides that. I know that my wait went rather quickly, and I hope yours does too! I can't wait to hear and follow the rest of your journey!

Jen
 
I'm chiming in from the knee side...hope that's okay!

Oh yes! Chime away - we love having you on this side!

I know that my wait went rather quickly, and I hope yours does too! I can't wait to hear and follow the rest of your journey!

Aw thank you so much! It is lovely that you are interested and thank you so much for your support!

ACDC rock by the way! :thankyou:
 
Isn't it great when we are feeling positive about surgery, excited even. I thought I would post on a day that I was feeling up in mood and not only when I am feeling lousy.

My hips have been lousy. In fact, I couldn't go into work on Monday as they were so bad - that is the first time that has happened. I worked from home instead. But my mood is good!

Y'all gonna get sick of me counting down! 43 days to go!

So this week I went on a bit of a spending spree - I bought pj's and a couple of nighties, underwear, joined Weight Watchers, some bed pillows, and bought a big ol' container of rubbing alcohol. LOL I am sure that list makes sense to everyone here (well maybe not the Weight Watchers bit!). I am booked into 'hip class', booked my final x-rays.

I have planned what I am doing / must achieve at work for the next few weeks, planned 2 business trips (as I won't be able to do those for a few months) and I am feeling ridiculously calm.

I am enjoying this feeling, we all know there are ups and downs, but at the moment I am up and I am gonna celebrate that!
 
:hi:@JMACCA - thought I'd respond on your thread following on about being housebound. So good to hear you're feeling UP today.

Those bad days certainly can trip us up. I had one yesterday. Struggling with pain and still unsure about when I can get my second THR date. As well as helping my hubby run a business I do voluntary work for a national children's society visting primary kids educating them about abuse. Of course I had to temporarily put that on hold as I can't cope with any distance driving and standing for periods of time. So I now concentrate on getting schools booked. Once I'm back on my feet again I can return to the visits once more but meanwhile I really miss the contact with the team and the children. :cry:

Then I also put myself forward for another voluntary position, learning to treat people with skin scars/burns/disfigurements teaching them how to use effective camouflauge make-up. My application was accepted and I was put on a waiting list for a suitable local position to crop up. Twice in the last 3 months I've been contacted - and the second time was yesterday - and I've had to explain that I'm in a holding stage ahead of surgery, and will then be grounded for several weeks afterwards. Big disappointment :sigh:

Of course when this happens we blame OA. It not only causes us pain but mucks up our carefully crafted life plans. This knocks ups in more ways than one. First we cannot do what we want to do. Then we become practically prisoners in our own homes and thereby we become somewhat isolated. Not being able to exercise regularly and get out in the fresh air is not a good thing, so I make sure I at least trundle around the garden every day. The isolation means we are mostly left alone with own thoughts for far too long and with that there is the danger of despression. I have to actively distract myself with work or other activities which I can manage (although they can be limited). This afternoon I'll visit a neighbour 2 doors down who has just had a hand operation and the change of scene will be great.

The UP side for my delayed second surgery is that I was contacted by a very large client who wants to set up a multiple-depot service agreement with our business. So I was able to proactively follow up the enquiry through to quotation, rather than deflect it to another member of staff and hope they managed to seal the deal. This represents a big boost if it all comes home to roost. So good things come out of what seemingly is a big trip up.

Sounds like you're on the ball with your shopping - that's great because you'll feel more organised. I'm so pleased you're on the countdown - I downloaded an App on my mobile for Hip #1 which reminded me how many days to go. After you're done it then does a plus count, which is also fun

You've had a majorly painful time - I'll never forget your early posts. I'm convinced that BS helps us through these really bad patches. Also having a date to focus on makes a whole heap of difference. Praying you get many more UP days - keep smiling!

.
 
As well as helping my hubby run a business I do voluntary work for a national children's society visting primary kids educating them about abuse.
learning to treat people with skin scars/burns/disfigurements teaching them how to use effective camouflauge make-up.

Oh WOW Jane what AMAZING work!! I know you haven't had the opportunity to start on the Make-up work but it would all be so rewarding!

You are absolutely right though, it does put a spanner in the works. It has certainly helped me widen my view of the world - even though my world has become smaller. I am now thinking about how disabled people make it through this world and understanding that what I take for granted - health, mobility, connectedness - is actually a really big deal for so many people.

I am VERY fortunate that I can work from home a couple of days a week. I get paid for my brain and not so much my body (i.e. I sit on my butt all day). My heart goes out to those who have occupations where they not only need to use their brains but rely heavily on their bodies - needing to be on their feet all day, or lifting, for example. The stress of this must be SO overwhelming. And there are so many on this site who rely on their bodies as part of their income.

I really do have much gratitude for my life and where I am at. I am one of the fortunate ones. My problems can be fixed and I will just have a couple of scars for it and strong hips.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom