JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JMACCA That is great the other dr gave you some pain relief! :)
I too have the same problems with my GP and with the sports dr. that I got my injections from. Not that I really want pain pills but some days it would be nice to take the edge off the pain. I am icing a few times a day for as long as my pack is cold. LOL
I hope you make it through your work travels better now that you have some pain meds. Hang in there! Almost there. :hugzz:
 
I used to hate my name and always want to be called Jane.
But everyone is called Jane!

I started following the BoneSmart mantras before my first op. Lots of ice, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down and if it's not life threateningly necessary, don't do it. I was also using elbow crutches which I really would recommend.
You can get through this. Thinking of you!
 
@JMACCA and @Miss Muffet - I'm so sorry to hear you have both had some bad days. You were both very supportive of me and I have felt very neglectful. Getting back to work has been an all consuming task and I haven't had much energy for anything else. I'm still so happy to be able to get around at work and do my job properly, but it really takes it out of me. I think it's just my body adjusting to my new situation. So glad that you both have dates to work towards - the end of the horrible pain is in sight :friends:.I'm still thinking about all my BoneSmart friends and will try and update my recovery thread in the next few days xxx
 
:hi: @BizzyLizzy - missed you! :wave:
But the BS sister/brotherhood continues and we'll get there. It's great to hear you're doing so well. We all have so much to look forward to with our new spare parts :happydance:
 
I have felt very neglectful

Oh please don't feel like that! I am so pleased that you are moving and doing the things that you are wanting to do! How thrilling to be great at work again!

______________
I have started taking the oxy. Not being a big drug user I used it yesterday as I was feeling considerable pain - I did this whilst at work, on an empty stomach and I was racing from meeting to meeting and didn't drink enough water then jumped on a plane to travel for work. Needless to say I got very ill - I didnt realise that it can make dehydrated and increase your body temperature...I just wanted to be sick. The pain was better, but I felt so awful!

I got straight to the hotel, ordered food and a big bottle of water and lay down with a cold compress.

Today, the pain is worse. I walked to a shop for lunch and I was like a cripple. I had to walk so slow. @Miss Muffet, I really think that I am going to have to go for the crutches now. I am scared to take another oxy until I get back to the hotel tonight, as we have a team dinner and I don't want to be ill like I was yesterday. I am hoping that that was a one off!

I don't feel that I have much left in me and I am not sure how I am going to get through the next few weeks of work. My energy is really low and it is taking everything in my power to concentrate and focus on work. I feel like I should be off work, however that is not an option as I am using all my leave for my recovery. I just hope to God that the next 22 days go fast!
 
Ah @JMACCA - what a horrible experience. I know you'll be careful about drugs and empty tums in future. I am cautious about it. Do you remember Smarties suggest taking salty crackers to hospital to munch on just ahead of taking their meds? Might be worth keeping a pack on hand?

Yes, please do go for crutches. You owe it to yourself to ease the pain by shouldering some of the weight via them. I found them immediately helpful when I 'gave in' and really wished I'd followed Jaycey's advice earlier.
Am SO with you on your painful walk to lunch. I recall, before I got my crutches, I had to pick up granddaughter from school and described myself as walking like The Pavement Inspector - walking ever so slowly, in pain and staring at the ground wishing I was at my destination.

How many more work days do you have? And did you take my suggestion about talking to your Manager?

Thinking about you :console2:
 
Do you remember Smarties suggest taking salty crackers to hospital to munch on just ahead of taking their meds?

Yes I do! I have been really religious about having something in my tummy first now. I think it is time to hide snacks in my purse! I am one of these people who can go without food all day if I am distracted with work.

myself as walking like The Pavement Inspector

Yep - that has been me. Pavements are looking good. I dread going and having to buy lunch now when I am interstate for work. I am getting to the stage where I need people to do that for me. It is such a challenge!

I am starting to have surgery dreams now. 18 days to go. Last night I had a dream that there was 3 patients in an operating theatre. I was told that they dislocated my hip and then popped it back in because it 'looked fine'. I was in a lot of pain while she was talking to the others in the theatre, and I told her I was - she told me that they would come and give me meds 'soon enough'. That is when I woke up and my right hip was causing me pain.

As you can see, one of my greatest fears is that they will do the op and my hips will look 'just fine'.

It has been hard at work this past week. Pain meds are great, however, I am nervous taking them while I am working due to the experience I had with them last week. As they are slow release, I thought that I might take them at night and just allow the tail end of the release get me through the morning at work. So I haven't quite got that down pat yet. Only 12 days of work left.
 
I was a wreck the last 3 weeks before my first surgery. I don't remember most of it very well and was largely ineffective at work. You do what you have to do when it comes to taking meds. I needed them to sleep at all. I made it through and so will you. It's a short time and we are pulling for you.
 
Yes absolutely! Jane is my 'coffee name' - when I order coffee and they ask my name I say "Jane" as Juanita is too hard for them to spell in Oz. I used to hate my name and always want to be called Jane.


Yes! I will now! I didn't think that it would make such a big difference before the op.

I went to the Dr today - I saw someone else and my regular was not available - she was great! My usual GP is really funny about giving out pain relief, but this DR was really reasonable. She has given me oxy (low dose) and panadeine forte. Enough to last me 2 weeks. I have never had oxy, but I find panadeine forte pretty useless.

I had the oxy tonight - wow! even at a low dose it is not bad at all. I actually caught myself smiling! That is a rarity lately! The DR was very pragmatic talked through options and allowed me to choose and told me if it didnt work to up the dose. What a different experience! My normal GP would reluctantly give me anything.

I will consider the crutches Jane, I think I will try them when I come back from interstate. The hospital actually has asked us all to practice with them prior to surgery as well.

Not too much longer for you to go!!

I love that you have a coffee name! Haha I say candi when I get take away Asian food as you wouldn't believe the names they come up with from Candice.

Sorry I haven't been around on here. So glad you got a different doctor who was more conducive to giving out pain meds! We often get stuck in routine with going to the same doctor, particularly with long term ilnessnes and pain but I have noticed such a difference between doctors so I know who I can go to at my medical practice for different reasons lol

I was surprised at how well the oxy worked too as I had never taken it. I probably should have leading up to surgery. Hopefully you can get some sleep and rest with the pain relief. Not long now!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I would recommend trying the crutches to take the load off. I had a method shown to me by a hospital physio that when you step with your left leg you use your right crutch- the way you would naturally swing your arm as you walk, and vice versa with the other leg. I found that a more natural gait than both crutches at once as you would with a broken leg. I found that they were helping both sides and it didn't make one side or the other sore. Even if you just use them for longer distance and not around all the time. I did get annoyed at having mine by the end of my recovery but became a pro at propping them up when I needed to sit lol


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I don't remember most of it very well and was largely ineffective at work.

I am glad that I am not the only one who feels like that! I have been feeling so guilty about it.

I love that you have a coffee name! Haha I say candi when I get take away Asian food as you wouldn't believe the names they come up with from Candice.

LOL I have met many who have 'coffee names' I love it!

I was surprised at how well the oxy worked too as I had never taken it.

It is amazing stuff - in fact, the last week or so has been super manageable - it gives you a real sense of what it would be like to be somewhat pain free - and a false sense of security...I have been questioning 'what if I am doing the wrong thing' again. *Argh* frustrating!

_____________________

So last week was a crazy stressful week at work - I was interstate, dealing with lots of 'people issues'. The medication was SUCH a blessing! The week went fast and the pain was manageable. I have rested all weekend and back into the working week. I have so much to do this week, I have two new staff so they are requiring a lot of assistance to get up and running, as well as preparing for leave, wrapping up loose ends etc... I think it is going to go super-fast.

I have 8 working days left - I can't believe it!

I have been questioning whether or not it is the right thing. I am not anxious yet. What if they open me up and everything looks perfect?

I have lots to do of an evening, ice packs, washing and preparing my hospital bag, and general set-up at home. I am afraid of being bored in hospital. They highly recommend not bringing any technology to the hospital - I am an IT manager! What will I do without it??

Exciting...11 sleeps.
 
You said it yourself that the pain meds are doing their job and you can imagine what it's like to be pain free. You can't just take those forever!

It's honestly so amazing. Just before my revision I was having a shower and I thought to myself how wonderful it was to just be able to have a shower at the end of the day and not be sooooo exhausted and not have to sit down. And brush my teeth! I used to have to sit down on the toilet lid to brush my teeth. Honestly it's these Things that will knock you for six when you are pain free. The little things people take for granted. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

You have mentioned a few times they will get in and say it's fine and stitch you back up. If they can see from an X-ray there is damage and that's what they use to decide on surgery you don't have to worry about this happening. If the surgeon had said that to you, it would be something to consider but I am guessing he didn't say anything of the sort?

And for the technology, take whatever you want! Maybe just make sure you have to volume down to not impact other patients but take what you need. I had an iPad and phone (for my second surgery) and the music saved me when I woke up in the middle of the night and needed pain meds. I just put some soft music on, put my headphones on and let those meds work and music lull me back to sleep. And I had some of my quilting paper pieces as well as a few trashy mags and books. I had more things to keep me busy than clothes.


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I have been questioning 'what if I am doing the wrong thing' again. *Argh* frustrating!
Oh no - just remember that pain which sent you back to the Doc begging for relief. You'll be reminded when you're off them pre-Op. I can vouch for that. And I agree with @dandy_candi - I had iPad, iPod, iPhone in hospital.
 
Only a short time left. Glad the meds are making the wait managable. See you soon on the other side.
 
I used to have to sit down on the toilet lid to brush my teeth
Oh I hear you!! I cannot wait to stand for longer periods of time...

And for the technology, take whatever you want!
I think I am going to do that - I will be a bit lost without all of that!

See you soon on the other side.
I cannot wait!
You'll be reminded when you're off them pre-Op. I can vouch for that.
I reckon you are totally right!
_____________________

I have been in the office a couple of days this week and the commute completely exhausts me. By the time I get home I am completely exhausted. I am dragging this ol body to the finish line...

I know it might sound crazy, but I am so looking forward to a snooze, and completely resting for 6 weeks - I am tired of having to get up and fight my body to make it move everyday. I know I will eat those words, but that is how I am feeling at the moment...
 
I have been thinking about you. I'm now 8 days post arthroscopy, and so much of the recovery is simply that you are exhausted from waiting.
 
.....I know it might sound crazy, but I am so looking forward to a snooze, and completely resting for 6 weeks - I am tired of having to get up and fight my body to make it move everyday. I know I will eat those words, but that is how I am feeling at the moment...

I can so relate to that. Felt the same way. I remember feeling like a fist that had been clinched for months and when I let go I crashed hard.
 
I have been thinking about you. I'm now 8 days post arthroscopy

Oh thank you so much! I really hope that your surgery is successful and you are feeling much better. I will catch up on your post to see the details :flwrysmile:

I can so relate to that. Felt the same way. I remember feeling like a fist that had been clinched for months and when I let go I crashed hard.

Oh you make me feel so good @gullimac :friends: Like I am normal! There are many times that I have felt like I am losing my mind through all of this. I am feeling at the moment that I dont even want people to visit me in hospital in the first couple of days - I just want to relax, rest, sleep and feel stress free. The thought of people staring at me while I am in bed asking me how I am and holding small talk does not make me feel comfortable at all.

I know that might be a bit rude, they just want to see how I am, but I am very much an introvert in this sense. LOL I didn't even want my husband there --- weird weird weird --- I know. But I am so happy to just be staring at the ceiling for the first couple of days.
 
We introverts need time to ourselves to recharge. It makes sense that when you go through something like this you need alone time to recharge. If you are like me when you are tired you have a harder time putting in the energy into interacting with other people and that further exhausts you. A vicious cycle.

But we know all those loved ones mean well. Sometimes it is hard for them to understand the way we as introverts feel. It took me a while to understand it myself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom