JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it might sound crazy, but I am so looking forward to a snooze, and completely resting for 6 weeks - I am tired of having to get up and fight my body to make it move everyday. I know I will eat those words, but that is how I am feeling at the moment...

I totally felt the same, it was so exciting to know I would have 3 months of sleeping, resting, crafting and recuperating. I did have a longer recovery time having my ops further apart than you so I did get bored by the end of the time. When are you scheduled to return to work?


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
@JMACCA You are completely normal. First hip I had 3 people in to see me in my room. I was glad when they left so I didn't have to talk. Later you call loved ones but you can hang up when you are done with talking. Get your rest. You have enough with nurses coming and going. My hips were 8 weeks apart and I got movies together and books for recovery time. Also anything you like to do with your hands since you will be in recovery mode for a while. Laptop, MP3, iPad, magazines, crafts etc. I did not want to be bored.
 
We introverts need time to ourselves to recharge. It makes sense that when you go through something like this you need alone time to recharge. If you are like me when you are tired you have a harder time putting in the energy into interacting with other people and that further exhausts you. A vicious cycle.

That is exactly what it is like. You don't want to be lonely, but you want to be alone. I get super exhausted being around people and having to 'small talk'.

I totally felt the same, it was so exciting to know I would have 3 months of sleeping, resting, crafting and recuperating.

Oh I am so happy that you felt this way too!

When are you scheduled to return to work?

January the 3rd - I will be working from home for a month (January) then I will start transitioning back into the office.

First hip I had 3 people in to see me in my room. I was glad when they left so I didn't have to talk.

Oh you poor thing! I understand how you would have felt - 3 people is a lot!

________________________

I have just found out that my son (10) has been having teary moments at school and is worried about me having surgery. His friend told him a horror story about his uncle where they 'cut the wrong thing' and he died. Of course now my son is worried that I will die when they cut me.

We have spoken with his teacher, who has been awesome.

I think for the day of the operation I will get his Nanna to look after him and spoil him a bit. Hopefully Ii will be able to speak to him later on. How did you go making phone calls and keeping your mobile with you post surgery - I noticed that some of you even had phones in recovery...

I would be really keen to give him a call as soon as I can...
 
@JMACCA I just took my cell phone in to the hospital and my charger and called in the afternoon when I was fully awake. I had a private room which was nice and enjoyed lots of good movies rest of nite. I didn't cook or feed cats. I let others wait on me. Also, I don't sleep very long at one time in the hospital. May have slept 4 hours tops. You should call your son as soon as possible after surgery. You might even show him all the smarties names on Bonesmart to let him know that there are lots of others going thru same surgery and they are great afterwards. How nice he is so concerned. He may be so surprised at all the good folks here! Great idea for Nanna to keep him busy. Sounds like you have a plan!
 
Oh your poor son, it's so hard for littlies to understand :(

I had my phone within reach of my bed and messaged my husband as soon as I was feeling well enough. Was within 30 mins to an hour of being back in my room and having settled in. The surgeon had called him and advised I was out of surgery so that was good, I don't know if they all do that but maybe you could ask so your husband could reassure your son then you could call when you were feeling ready.
They had a landline phone in my room which I could only call landlines from but I could receive calls too so my husband called me on that.

I too am an introvert and didn't want many visitors. My first Op I had my husband and mum on the day. Then my mum came every day I was in and my sister came once then my husband came a few days later, before I was released.
2nd op less people as often. Hubby on the day. Mum came a few times during the day. Had my mother in law come with my hubby on the Friday night (op was Wednesday) and that was enough visitors.
3rd Op - my husband couldn't take more time off so my brother in law took me in but just dropped me off so I was on my own. Thought I would be lonely but I was fine, I was used to just sitting around not doing much by this time. Then my sister came in once and my brother in law and his new girlfriend were going to come in but I told my husband to say I wasn't feeling up to it.
So each time I had less visitors but I was fine. If I got bored I could text or call my husband or friends and come on bonesmart. Plus I found the nurses friendly so would chat with them.


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
@JMACCA Hope your son is doing better as your surgery date draws near. He is young and surgery is a foreign thing so no wonder he is concerned. I was thinking that as soon as you are looking perky you should have Nanna bring your son to your room. Maybe even day 2 so he can see for himself that you are doing okay!How are you doing with prepping? We had a joint class to attend in advance that talked about PT after surgery and what to expect to need at home like walker for a week or so possibly a cane. Read as much as you can on this site. It really helped put my mind at ease. Very nice knowing that if you have a concern about recovery that you can send out a note and others will get back to you. If medical then our ortho nurse Josephine will answer!
 
My 8-year old granddaughter was wound up about my first surgery and cried at school too. My main concern was that, if she should ever need to be hospitalised, she wouldn't think of it as a scary place so I was determined that she found me looking as well as possible. This meant being a couple of days postOp so that I didn't have any medical appendages which might be off putting. Seeing oxygen tubes, IV drips, BP cuffs etc may worry him as even my husband was perturbed by them. We hardly notice them ourselves, but they're all very visible to them. By that time I was able to shower, wash and style my hair, dress and also went to the trouble of applying make-up (maybe a bit of vanity on my part, but at least I would resemble my normal self). When she arrived I was sat in my bedside chair and she wanted to know exactly what they'd done to me and explained I had a poorly bone which hurt me so the doctors has swapped it for a good one and now I was all fine. She was so reassured that when I was due in his time she told me she was really pleased because I was so much better after the first one.

I know your son is older so this approach may not be appropriate and I'm so sorry he's upset. Personally I think Nanna caring for and spoiling him is a great idea and if you're having spinal and sedation then you'll probably find you'll be able to call him shortly after arriving in recovery, as many on here do. Being able to talk to you and you telling him you're feeling good will help a lot. FaceTime calls can work in between as a buffer.
 
I have just found out that my son (10) has been having teary moments at school and is worried about me having surgery.
Someone on the knee side just brought up this subject. They recommended a book written especially for children on knee replacements. I just did a search and there is one for hips. I know it refers to Grandma's hip but you can change the wording (it's a paperback so I would use a marking pen and cross out Grandma replaced by Mom's) and talk about how even teenagers sometimes have this surgery. Here's a link to a vendor (there are others available as well).
 
Thank you all for sharing your experiences - I really appreciate it.

I have felt so together, until today. I feel anxious and scared - not about the actual surgery - but scared that this surgery won't be the 'fix' I am looking forward to. I know that I have had the injections and the aesthetic worked immediately so it is a problem with my joints but I am not bone on bone, or have arthritis, but FAI and the pain is at a 7 most of the time. As mentioned a couple of times, we know that surgeons would do the surgery just for the heck of it. So why am I freaking out about this so much??

I am just bloody frightened.

I don't want to tell my husband - he will then get anxious - and then my son will pick up on it. I need my husband OK to be able to cope with the stress all of this is going to put on the family and not be worried about me. After all, I am the one being cared for, in a great hospital, with good drugs, Dr.s and nurses.

I have 3 days of work left. I spoke to my boss on Friday and told her that I was struggling with the 'tail end of work' before surgery. She hadn't noticed - which is great. We are eliminating some of the meetings that I will need to be involved in.

I am sure that I am not an outlier here. I am sure that many have felt equally anxious. I am thinking of asking my husband to come with me on Friday now. I don't want to be lonely. I know that will be a big thing to ask him to do though.

Ah ****. I am not sure what I should do really. I am a bit all over the place at the moment.
 
They highly recommend not bringing any technology to the hospital - I am an IT manager! What will I do without it??
I had a laptop, iPad and my phone by my bed at all times - take what you want!
I am feeling at the moment that I dont even want people to visit me in hospital in the first couple of days
I only let my husband come and even then for short visits because it tired me out. I enjoyed by time in hospital - I know it sounds strange but I'd been so stressed and exhausted and guilty about not doing more that it was good to give up all responsibility and just doze in front of rubbishy TV and eat what was put in front of me!
 
I am just bloody frightened.
Bigs hugs :friends:

I think everyone gets anxious and there are so many "what if..." questions that go through your mind but it will be okay. Is there someone else who might go with you to keep you company? Although, I know my husband - who had been very scared - was actually reassured to see me come out of surgery as he hadn't realised I would be conscious and bright so quickly.
 
@JMACCA we were all in that same space pre-op. Even those of us who have done this twice! Discuss your fears with everyone you see at the hospital. They see this everyday and will do everything they can to make you comfortable. By this time next week you will be done and dusted!
 
@JMACCA - I haven't been on here for a while. Life has been so busy since I started back at work. When I read your post I just remembered how scared I was that my operation wouldn't work and I would end up no better at the end of it all. I wanted to try and reassure you, if at all possible. My situation was a bit different in that it was definitely OA, but it was really bad and my surgeon mentioned that "it might be a tricky one". This was my cue to start thinking it would be unsuccessful and I continued to think like that. I was in so much pain and my mobility was so restricted that I couldn't imagine a day when things were better. I think this is pretty common. However - you should see me now! I am really almost back to normal. I still feel amazed when I walk up several flights of stairs or get on a bus or go on a shopping trip. Keep the faith - it will be OK. I'm sending you lots of hugs from the other side of the world. Please don't be lonely :console2:xx
 
You see - you're not in the least bit unusual. I'd have settled patches (often just after reading reassuring contact on BS) then I'd fall over again, usually first thing in the morning when I'd wake in a muck sweat full of doubts and worries, so I'd bring myself back to BS where there was always a supportive word and heaps of understanding. @BizzyLizzy and I had lots of contact for exactly the same reason - and look at her now. As Jaycey says, reveal all your anxieties to the hospital staff. They are well used to our nerves, very kind and understanding.
 
Oh, @JMACCA - you kindly posted in my thread and I've just read your whole story, feel for you so much, identify with the debilitating pain, and was just jubilant when I read you were able to get your original choice surgeon - totally brilliant. That email obviously worked magic! Good for you. Also, thank goodness you finally got some decent meds. I changed my GP because the old one wouldn't prescribe anything, acted as though it was wrong to ask! The new GP didn't hesitate, gave me Tramadol, and backed my case to speed up my surgery by personally writing a letter to the hospital (I am a public patient, but it worked). He's been great.

Am I right in thinking your OS is offering anterior approach? (sorry, it was a while back in the thread). This is what I had for my first hip just over 6 weeks ago. If so, you will be amazed at how well you recover, and how well you will feel very early on - honestly. I didn't believe my OS when he said I would be able to manage okay on my own straight after surgery but he was right (I live alone). I was just mindful, methodical, patient, careful.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I would do the hotel the night before, and the cab. Keep as calm and comfortable as possible. This is not the time to be extending yourself in any way emotionally to anyone else. You need support, and if that doesn't come from your nearest and dearest from no fault of their own, relieve them of that 'duty', then gather your strength, claim your time, stay tranquil and focus on the job ahead. You are a strong, resilient woman - you can do it. Look at how you've coped so far. This is the end of that coping phase, the end of the struggle and the start of an amazing new life. Start it quietly, and composed.

  • I requested no visits. I just wanted to be on my own (introvert) and use my energy and time to adjust to what just happened, to my recovery and the general process of being in hospital. I couldn't be bothered to read, or watch TV. I just 'was'. Quite contemplative and inward, and just dealing with being in hospital and handling all the comings and goings, sleeping, resting, managing what was going on, all the little routines (lots of disturbance unfortunately, and being forgotten by nurses and other dramas!) But this is my nature - others are more inclined to enjoy activities etc. For those who wanted to visit I just said that their help afterwards with lifts etc would be of more benefit to me, and that hospitals weren't great places to visit!

  • Reassurance re your hip joint: everything is being renewed, everything will be perfectly sized, everything that needs to move will move smoothly ...so there will be NO impingement anymore ... The deep sockets will be gone, you'll have perfectly sized sockets! The 'fault' will be gone and you will be amazed by the difference straight away. It is exactly the right thing to be doing, so let go of that anxiety right away.

Take care dear one! Be kind to yourself. Pour out your heart here - this is where you'll find the support and understanding.

PS I just used nighties, as pyjama bottoms are tricky to get on and off - plus a nightie makes it easier on the loo. Also, I had a second toilet bag with essentials like lip balm, pen, notebook, phone, earphones, tissues, hair clip, face wipes etc which I kept next to me at all times. This also followed me everywhere once on crutches at home. I put the toilet bag in a lightweight calico bag and hooked it over the handle of one of the crutches.
 
@JMACCA Hugs!!:console2: Hang in there! I have no awesome words of wisdom like all the great posts above me but just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and I feel for you. I will be thinking about you on Friday and sending out some positive thoughts your way. :)
 
OH WOW...I am overwhelmed by the kindness of you all! :loveshwr: Thank you for your gorgeous responses!

I enjoyed by time in hospital - I know it sounds strange but I'd been so stressed and exhausted and guilty about not doing more that it was good to give up all responsibility and just doze in front of rubbishy TV and eat what was put in front of me!

I think that I will enjoy it too. I have an eye mask, noise cancelling headphones, earplugs and tech that I think will keep me very occupied, and existing in silence. Resting and staring at the ceiling sounds so good at the moment...

I think everyone gets anxious and there are so many "what if..." questions
we were all in that same space pre-op.

So true, and I certainly don't think I am the only one. It is really tough and something that only you guys would understand...

By this time next week you will be done and dusted!

Bless! What a great way of looking at it @Jaycey!

I just remembered how scared I was that my operation wouldn't work and I would end up no better at the end of it all.

That is exactly how I feel - thank you for sharing - it means a lot!

I think this is pretty common. However - you should see me now! I am really almost back to normal.

Oh wow! I know I will be there...just to get there I have to go through this!

You see - you're not in the least bit unusual.

Thank you SO much for your personal messages to me @Miss Muffet - you have been a total rock!

I've just read your whole story

Hooley dooley! That must have taken you hours! I really appreciate you taking the time out to read about the ups and downs!

OS is offering anterior approach?

Yes, both will be anterior :)

I requested no visits.

I didn't think of doing this. I am fortunate that the hospital is an hour away from where I live so I don't anticipate having many visitors.

It is exactly the right thing to be doing, so let go of that anxiety right away

I LOVE that! Thank you for saying that!:friends:

just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and I feel for you.

Thank you lovely! That means a lot.

_______________________

The Monday work day is nearly over. I am tired. Had a chat to hubby about how I was feeling last night and waking up to your messages this morning was WONDERFUL!

Going through the motions today. Looking forward to bed tonight. 4 more sleeps.

Thank you again for all your gorgeous messages - I know I said that at the beginning, but they really do mean SO much.

:loveshwr:
 
Atta girl! You've done all the worrying now. You've asked all to questions. I think you'll look back (as I did) and realise that the build-up was the most stressful part, because you were carrying pain and the axiety of the unknown. PostOp you have the reassurance that you've done the right thing, you're in capable hands and are on the path to recovery having all that exhausting pain behind you.
 
PostOp you have the reassurance that you've done the right thing, you're in capable hands and are on the path to recovery having all that exhausting pain behind you.

Yes - I think that this is something that we dont truly understand until after the surgery and then chastise ourselves on being so silly leading up to it :heehee:

Things are OK today. The surgeons nurse called me last night and confirmed that I am first up for 7:30am surgery so I need to be in there at 6:00am. I have booked my cab. She said that they have everything (bloods, xrays) so I am good to go - then she said "you are going to do great!". It was so lovely.

I feel good.

Again, thank you to all of you for your support!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom