JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that quote you just posted! It's one I've looked on many times.

It must feel incredibly restrictive! Do you think that he may review that time-frame?
ahhh Probably not, he said that was cautious but not overly so to make sure we don't get any more fracturing. I'm trying to keep my eye on recovering well rather than quick now. One week down, so just 3 to go!

I feel the worry slowly creeping in and I know that it is pointless as I do know what is going to happen in the appointment and it could all be for nought. So much of this journey is a mental challenge!
It really is a mental challenge! I had the home care nurse in today and boy, trying not to worry about the bills for that (and everything else!) is very difficult. I, too, am the breadwinner and had hoped for a quick recovery to get back to full pay (my leave is half pay). But, being the breadwinner makes is even more crucial, we must care for ourselves and whatever situation that brings, we can find a way to deal with.
Keeping you in my thoughts!
 
I love that quote you just posted!

I am thinking that I am going to get it printed and put it everywhere! I think I need it right now! I am not into cross-stitch but I think it would make a good one!

I'm trying to keep my eye on recovering well

That is a really great perspective to have! I think we kinda set the wrong measures of success for ourselves - sitting cross-legged, kneeling, being able to play sports again. What do you think some of the recovery milestones should be - LOL I am a project manager...can ya tell??

But, being the breadwinner makes is even more crucial, we must care for ourselves and whatever situation that brings, we can find a way to deal with.

Yep, totally, it can be a huge pressure - it is not a bottomless well and it runs out fast!

Keeping you in my thoughts!

Aw thanks! I really appreciate that! I love checking in on you and seeing your progress too!
 
My first recovery goal was being able to get out of bed/up from a chair without absolute agony. I've achieved that one already! Ok, I'm on crutches and I'm awkward and slow, but it doesn't hurt too much. It would be nice if I could achieve if effortlessly without drawing attention to myself, but that may have to wait until the crutches go. Pre-op, I used to find it so hard to get up from my chair at work and I hated colleagues seeing me hobble. I share an office with 3 other people - we are never all in together, and sometimes I tried to wait until I was alone, before getting up!
My next goal is to walk out of my garden gate and walk up the street a little way. I live on a slight hill and pre-op my lurching, limping shamble was not a pretty sight, if I had to go up the hill more than a couple of steps. Again, I tried not to have to do it unless there was no one else there. Miserable times...
 
I have started really thinking about what I will do while I am staring at the ceiling.
I didn't do a lot of staring at the ceiling. You'll be able to move about the house and sit up but have no concentration for a while so think of short stories, comics, social media and little projects.

I have a sunroom so I might perch myself there a few times a week.
I made myself a day bed in mine where I could sit with my feet up and blanket round me just to get some daylight. Getting outside does make a HUGE difference. I've been so much happier on sunny/dry days when I can get out, even if it's just to sit two yards from the back door!

How did your appointment go yesterday?
 
sometimes I tried to wait until I was alone, before getting up!
Oh yes - it is so embarrassing - also I find it hard when they want to go to the coffee shop for a meeting and I hobble all the way there.

think of short stories, comics, social media and little projects.

Ooo that sounds fascinating @Zelda! I would love to hear more about those projects!

------------

It has been an interesting couple of days - flat out at work which is nice. I have been tapped on the shoulder for a promotion which I am kinda stunned about, even in my sorry state. I will still have the same working from home opportunities and the break I will have for surgery will be no problem either - they have left the return to work process to me and allowed me to say when I am ready and return on my own schedule. I am really gobsmacked and it is so wonderful that something lovely has happened during this time.
 
@JMACCA , That's brilliant. Congratulations to your new work opportunity. This goes to show that somebody appreciates your work and it's positive. What kind of work have you got?
What date is your operation scheduled for - sorry if I didn't read it properly in your thread or missed it. Good luck for you OP when you get to it and brilliant recovery. I'm sure you'll recover 100% and will be the same as before your hip problems started - probably better.
Best wishes - Constanze
 
@JMACCA.....fabulous news about your job promotion. It couldn't have come at a better time to give you a boost too. Well done :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
That's fantastic! They obviously really value you at work.

My little projects aren't anything earth-shattering. I've decorated some trainers with a fabric pen, stained some wine boxes to make them into planters for the garden and then planted them up, made some Lego birds, learned to make ginger beer...all very slowly and with help to get everything I needed round about me!
 
:loveshwr:Fantastic news on the job promotion- really shows you are valued and obviously good at your job! Also great that your employers are so flexible about your recovery - says a lot about you.
@Zelda your projects sound good. I'm trying to motivate myself to do some similar things, but find concentration hard. I quite like knitting and had got a simple pattern for a sleeveless top and some wool. Thought I might start today, but don't have the right -sized needles. A bit deflated but ordered them from Amazon so they will come tomorrow.
 
Great news on the promotion! All your hard work and the brilliant ideas you have don't go unnoticed. I'm sure that gives you a boost!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
Firstly, thank you all so much for your congrats and kind words - that is really lovely to hear!! :loveshwr:

What kind of work have you got
I am moving from a Project Manager role to an IT Manager in a large tech firm - so it is kinda neat!

What date is your operation scheduled for
I had two dates in August - as I am having both hips done but the cost was astronomical! I am meeting with another surgeon today to start the whole process over again *sigh*

I'm sure you'll recover 100% and will be the same as before your hip problems started - probably better.

Wow! I hope so! In fact, I can't ever remember the time that my hips were OK - it was over 10 years ago!:umm:

It couldn't have come at a better time to give you a boost too.
'm sure that gives you a boost!

Absolutely ladies! It has certainly kept my mind off seeing the surgeon today!

My little projects aren't anything earth-shattering

They are awesome! I love them! You have been busy! I really like having learned to make ginger beer - I might have to copy you on that one! :cheers:

I quite like knitting and had got a simple pattern for a sleeveless top and some wool.

Have you got your needles yet? I hope that you have been able to get started...

________

I have been doing everything in my power to not think about today - today is the day that I meet my new surgeon.

I received the pack from my 'old' surgeon last week - it was so thick! On top of the surgeons fees of $9500 I have to also pay $600 for the 'assistant' surgeon plus the anethetists fee - which of course wasn't listed. Over $10,000 upfront! :thud:

I am disappointed, I did want him to do the op. I feel sad that even though I have top cover and have paid WELL over $42,000 over the last 14 years into health insurance that I can't get the surgeon of my choice. I am covered for hip replacement, but not at the rates he is billing. I am disappointed that I have had 3 appointments with him, from March through to now, and I have wasted that time. I guess it is my own fault. I made the assumption that I would be covered - I didn't know to ask the questions and here I am, in more pain, and at the beginning again.

It is 8.30am in the morning here and I already have butterflies in my stomach and I am feeling nervous about my appointment at 5:00pm today. I have to explain everything all over again, go through the Dr. judgements and opinions and then wait for their decision. I just can't bear it. I just want this pain gone so I can get on with life. Yet here I am again, having people make decisions on my behalf - I feel so powerless in this process.
 
Thinking about you today, sending positive energy your way for a great appointment...
 
Sending good thoughts your way for a positive meeting. You deserve to get your life back! Once you get a date it's surprising how that powerless feeling goes. That's how it felt to me anyway. It's only a few months since I was worrying about getting my date and it seems a lifetime ago, now that I'm on the other side! Looking forward to you joining me here in this very different world, where every day you feel better, not worse. You will get here!:flwrysmile:
I haven't got my needles yet - the ones I ordered from Amazon were too short! Husband is taking me to a proper shop to get some today - a trip out, can't wait!

@Zeld, I also loved the idea of making ginger beer. Think I might give that a go as well.
 
Yet here I am again, having people make decisions on my behalf - I feel so powerless in this process.
This is a hard one to deal with. I feel it's a bit like getting on a plane - you just have to trust the pilot and the air traffic people to do their jobs and keep you safe. I remember doing management training years ago which advised that you put any problem into one of three categories -
  • Something I can actually change
  • Something I can influence
  • Something I have no control over ( in my head I don't express this so politely!) and should therefore not waste energy worrying about
It's taken me a long time to be able to mentally put things in that last category but I think there are elements of this process you can't put anywhere else. It's why we direct so much energy into organising "lady lairs" and all the things we can control! I know some of my post-op frustration is because I feel so close to being able to take back control of my life and not just wait passively to heal. I can see why some people go down the route of very intense PT, because it's so tempting to do something active and exercise a bit of agency in your own recovery.

Anyway, enough of my rambling - I hope the appointment goes well and you like your new surgeon.
 
Thinking about you today

Thank you so much for thinking of me!

Once you get a date it's surprising how that powerless feeling goes

Oh I long for that feeling!

This is a hard one to deal with. I feel it's a bit like getting on a plane - you just have to trust the pilot and the air traffic people to do their jobs and keep you safe.

Thank you @Zelda I really appreciate what you wrote - it made tremendous sense!

in my head I don't express this so politely!

Hehehehee me either!


__________________

Verdict from this surgeon: "You are too young to have THR I suggest you look at pain medication."

He was SO arrogant. He told me that a new hip will only last for 10 years and that the revision is incredibly difficult.

But, if I really wanted the surgery he would do it.

Not likely buddy - you ain't getting anywhere near me with a scalpel I was thinking. I burst into tears. Sobbed. I was so embarrassed. It was my worst nightmare coming true. $175 for the appointment. ca-ching!

I wanted to run out of there - if I could run. I protested and said through tears "OK so if I live on pain meds how bad do I have to be before you look at a THR?"; "What are my options????"

He reiterated that my only options were pain meds or THR.

Going with your plane metaphor @Zelda, I had to completely justify why I needed to get onboard.

It is all because I don't have an arthritic joint and I am too young. I don't fit the box.
 
So your option are pain meds (which aren't working) or THR (which he doesn't want to do)?

I'm not surprised you were sobbing.

This age thing is nonsense. It must be so frustrating having to shop around for a sensible surgeon when you're so run down and in pain. Lots of hugs - I hope you find a solution soon.
 
@JMACCA - so sorry to hear this news. You so don't deserve this! My OS said that the implants he chose for me could last up to 20 years, so there is still a good possibility of revision in my future. However, he also said that, in his opinion, the time I need the surgery is now, while I am still working etc. and need a good quality of life. I am a bit older than you, but I really felt that was the right approach. Sending massive hugs and hopes that you get this resolved :console2:xx
 
I'm so sorry you had to deal with a surgeon who was clearly unwilling to help! If pain meds (or anything else) had helped, why would you be in his office!
As human beings, we don't always fit in the box...what needs to be considered is your quality of life, not whether you match the neat little criteria on a form.
Sending hugs to you.
 
Just happened to be reading through your thread.... So sorry for your crushing, disappointing, painful journey. Try not to be discouraged... Not sure how your insurance deals but after living with increasing pain and loss of years of life activities, I found Bonesmart and decided to do this thr.

I put my doctor shopping into high gear. I looked at every practice in area which I am fortunate to live in area with many, so lots of competition....i called every one and asked for an appointment with their hip doctor who did minimally invasive surgery for hip replacement. I was not interested in bilateral but in your case I would ask that. Talk about doctor shopping? I saw/interviewed 13 before I found the one and then cancelled appointments with the next 3-4.

Doctor doing? Yep! When I need a new roof or other work on my house, I get at least three estimates and plans of how to do... My body deserves at least the same!

You might want to include how soon they are scheduling surgery. I ended up with a list of questions I could ask that lowly person answering phone.. Amazing when you give them their due respect how much they know and will tell you over the phone!

Sorry I ramble but like others here I know what you are going through! Keep your eye on outstanding recovery....i was up to more activity immediately after surgery than I could do for months before surgery, and I was in some pretty thorough denial that I could possibly need hip surgery for a long long time!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom