Guest viewing is limited

JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a very good reputation but I am finding that the conservative approach is frustrating. I see him on Friday and I will see what he will say but I am now booking in to see another that was '2nd' on my list
I think you are wise to get a second opinion. We are in charge of, and responsible for, our health care. We have been conditioned to accept anything a doctor tells us as gospel. They are not infallible and are often prisoners of preconceived beliefs that may not apply.

I have a chronic condition that requires lifelong management by a neurologist. I went through 3 before I found the one who listens to me and considers me a partner in my treatment. Do not be afraid to fire a doctor who is not serving your needs!

Kyle
 
There are plenty out there as more and more younger patients want to get on with living.

I agree Jaycey - and that point exactly I find is super frustrating...I want to be active now! I was very active (martial arts and gym instructor were my job 6 days a week), and now I am just becoming a fat blob and I hate it!

I went through 3 before I found the one who listens to me and considers me a partner in my treatment. Do not be afraid to fire a doctor who is not serving your needs!

WOW! this was great to read Kyle, I never thought of it as 'firing'. So often I think that we feel like we are the ones at fault and call it 'doctor shopping' which has such negative connotations about the 'patient'. We feel like we are the crazy ones.

So, can I ask a really weird question - why are the Doc's so hell-bent on us keeping our bones? If it was a bad kidney or part of our intestine they would whip it out in a flash. Yet there is a suitable alternative.

Another question: If the surgeon suggests cortisone injections into the hip, which I expect will be his suggestion as the next step in the 'process', how will that help if it is the FAI - a structural issue - that is the problem? I have been trying to find out more about cortisone and how it helps in those situations but I am coming up with nothing.
 
@JMACCA, fyi.. OS said if I had a cortisone shot, I'd have to delay surgery for three mos whether or not it even worked.
 
why are the Doc's so hell-bent on us keeping our bones?
In the "old days" patients were encouraged to delay replacement for as long as possible to avoid needing several revisions. These days implant life is far longer - in some cases a "forever hip". Your surgeon is very old school if that is what he/she is suggesting.
If the surgeon suggests cortisone injections into the hip, which I expect will be his suggestion as the next step in the 'process', how will that help if it is the FAI
It won't help the FAI at all. Nothing except THR can correct this issue. And as Horseshoe already pointed out - cortisone will mean a delay of surgery.
 
I have been trying to find out more about cortisone and how it helps in those situations but I am coming up with nothing.
Cortisone acts to reduce inflammation. It does nothing to address the underlying cause of the inflammation. In my opinion all cortisone shots do is kick the can down the road. They can serve a purpose.

I saw my OS in early February. I knew I needed THR and he agreed. I had trips scheduled in March and April. I scheduled my surgery for May. I got a cortisone shot in late February which significantly reduce m discomfort and allowed me to comfortably go on my trips. On May 19 I got my new hip.

The cortisone shot did not change the need for the new hip. It did not 'cure' the arthritis in my hip. But the shot did allow me to fit my THR into my life. I just kicked the can down the road :)

Kyle
 
OS said if I had a cortisone shot, I'd have to delay surgery for three mos whether or not it even worked.

And this is a concern for me too...I don't want this to happen...Do you know why they say this? What is the medical reasoning behind this?

It won't help the FAI at all. Nothing except THR can correct this issue.

My thoughts exactly - cortisone is not going to help the structural issues that are there - I am still not going to be able to put my shoes on or need help getting in and out of the car - it might be with less pain but the restriction is still going to be there. What are your thoughts on debridement @Jaycey?

In my opinion all cortisone shots do is kick the can down the road

This is a really great way of putting it Kyle - I think I will use that term with the surgeon tomorrow!

I knew I needed THR and he agreed

I just want a surgeon that agrees! I think that it was a really sensible approach to book in the surgery and get the cortisone injection to 'tide' you over until the surgery.

I have utilised the counselling service that we have at work as I am feeling super flat and stressed about seeing the surgeon and with the level of pain that I am experiencing. Train travel to and from the office is becoming an issue. Also, they are doing rail works on our line for a month and will be utilising trains > bus > train which is expected to increase my travel time by 45 mins one way - I already travel 1 hour and 15 minutes one way (2.5 hours a day). I am feeling very nervous about that.

I need to do something this is just not manageable anymore.
 
Just chiming in to agree with what others have said before me and wish you luck and some solid answers tomorrow @JMACCA :fingersx:
 
What are your thoughts on debridement
Doesn't alway produce the desired results. For some it works but for many it's just a slower route to THR. Based on what we see on this board it can also be a longer and more painful recovery.
 
I think if you tell your surgeon about your concerns and the fact that you have had to seek counselling as a result of your poor quality of life he has to see that it is time for a more active approach. It must be utterly consuming worrying about yourself just now - I really hope you get a better outcome. Good luck.
 
Just chiming in to agree with what others have said before me and wish you luck and some solid answers tomorrow

I really hope you get a better outcome. Good luck.

Just back from my appointment. A double THR for me! I am stoked! (which is really weird isn't it!)

There was no begging required on my part. He said it was the only option, the op will be straight forward. He only had reservation was is that my hips weren't arthritic so he felt bad taking out 'good' condition hips.

Because I have deep sockets, debridement and arthroscopy were not even a consideration for him. It is THR all the way baby! WAAHHHOOO!!
 
I am so pleased for you! And I was excited about my surgeries too - finally a way to get better! Do you know roughly how long you will have to wait and will you get both done at once?

:yes!::flwrysmile::egypdance::cheers:
 
I am so pleased for you! And I was excited about my surgeries too - finally a way to get better! Do you know roughly how long you will have to wait and will you get both done at once?

Thanks @Zelda - I am glad that someone else was excited about their surgeries. The surgeon has said that while he has done a few bilaterals, he would prefer that they are done 10 days apart. I think that it is a conversation yet to be had, but I suspect that it will be 10 days apart - which I am fine with.

I don't anticipate that the wait will be too long, however he does work out of 3 hospitals - I would like to be in the one closer to home so I may need to wait a little longer if I want to be at that hospital. I will know more this coming week. I am hoping that it is in August, as that will give me time to prepare and get everything sorted.

There was quite a bit of time between your hips Zelda - Do you think that you would have been ok with having them done closer together? Would you have preferred them to be done at the same time?
 
I am so looking forward to being able to clean the house, do the floors and do the yard. I rely on my hubby and 10 year old to do it and while I appreciate everything they do, I am house proud and have had to really focus on letting that part of myself 'go'. I enjoy having a warm and welcoming home for people to visit, but the last couple of years it is not that and we have stopped entertaining at home. I miss that.

I am excited to think that I will be able to engage in Christmas fun and activities, hang decorations and not have to just watch everyone do those things around me.

Very exciting!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
There was quite a bit of time between your hips Zelda - Do you think that you would have been ok with having them done closer together? Would you have preferred them to be done at the same time?
I don't honestly know. I went with the surgeon's preference which was 12 weeks minimum between surgeries, although I know other surgeons said 6 weeks. I think I'd have been tempted to have them both done at once if it was an option, just to get it all out of the way. I think there are probably advantages and disadvantages no matter what you choose. In terms of navigating steps and stairs and getting in and out of cars (and maybe in and out of bed), I've been glad to have one solid leg as well as an operated one in the first few weeks but it is amazing how quickly you can stand, walk and manoeuvre yourself about!

Sorry - not a very clear answer! In summary, I think I'd have been happy with two new hips regardless of how it came about!
 
Great news on your pending surgeries! Hope the wait isn't too long. Let the countdown begin!
 
LOL @Zelda I think it is a perfect answer- to be honest I am just thrilled that they are both getting done!

Thanks so much @Jaycey and @Zelda for your support!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went to a BBQ last night where my chiropractor who was there proceeded to tell me that 2 THR is too much and I should wait a year between the two - it will be too much to recover from...

*sigh* I felt like saying "thanks for that...that is something that I haven't thought of and hey, I can certainly wait out another year in excruciating pain for that second one...thanks for talking sense into me..." [sarcastic of course]

:gaah:
 
proceeded to tell me that 2 THR is too much and I should wait a year between the two - it will be too much to recover from...
And he's had a THR, has he?
I think you're very restrained - sarcasm would have been the least of my responses!
:tantrum2::hairpulling::hissy::censored::xmark:
 
So...today the clinic rings me and advises that they have dates for me, the 19th and 26th of August. Awesome!

There is a catch, so I find out. It is not at the hospital that I wanted (it is at a hospital an hour away from where I live), and I have to pay upfront. $9000!!!

So I got the item number and asked my husband to call the health insurance company. We have top cover, yet based on the item number that the surgeon bills on we would be out of pocket $6000! They could only cover $3000. WOW!!

Hubby was great. He rang the surgeon who did his nans hip - no out of pocket, they will ring my GP and get the referral, and contact the imaging company and get copies of all of it. They have a cancellation on July 4th and can fit me in and do the surgery as early as July 29th. The only drawback is that he does posterior opposed to anterior. He may even do a bilateral for me. Searching on the web his reviews are excellent.

A little annoyed that I wasn't told all this upfront as I did ask them about it and I chose him for the hospital, anterior and his reviews.

WOW!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wouldn't worry about it not being anterior. I'd be far more excited about getting the surgery a whole month quicker!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom