JMacca's hip safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes absolutely @Zelda - it is awesome and is a better timeline.

Feeling blue this morning. Had a terrible sleep - a lot of pain. I also was having thoughts such as 'I have to start all over again', what if he won't do the surgery'. Feeling a little frustrated, very sad and tired (and a bit emotional) this morning. Sitting on the train heading into work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They have a cancellation on July 4th and can fit me in and do the surgery as early as July 29th. The only drawback is that he does posterior opposed to anterior. He may even do a bilateral for me. Searching on the web his reviews are excellent.

Feeling blue this morning. Had a terrible sleep - a lot of pain. I also was having thoughts such as 'I have to start all over again', what if he won't do the surgery'. Feeling a little frustrated, very sad and tired (and a bit emotional) this morning. Sitting on the train heading into work.

Congrats on getting things mostly sorted. Sorry you are having a rough day. Hopefully you get good news on the 4th.
 
Thank you for your support @MommaCatt. These days are not too fun.

Walking to the tea room at work has even gotten difficult today. I really hate sitting at my desk all day and not going outside for lunch - it is something that I will really enjoy doing when all this is said and done.

Looking forward to my bed tonight.

:bricks:
 
Starting to get worried today...my hips have been particularly bad yesterday and today and I have had trouble walking up the stairs at home (my home office is upstairs) - this hasn't been a problem to date. Last night I slept well with assistance from over the counter codeine and panadol. Tomorrow I see my GP and I am hoping to get some more effective medication. I was taking panadine forte during the day but stopped a little while ago as I had to go to the Dr. each week to get the script refilled, waiting an hour or more each time I had to see him. I am starting to think that I am at the point now where I won't have a choice but to do that each week.

The last few days I have been having to get my 10 year old to take my shoes and socks off. I also need help putting them on in the morning but I hate having to ask for that help.

I am so over this constant pain. And now I feel like I am back at the beginning of the process again with the whole surgeon fiasco. I just wanna cry.
 
Aw, I was just coming to say how lovely and smiley your photo is and I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time.

Ask your GP about pain meds and a longer prescription. You shouldn't have to see him each week for medication.

As for the rest, I do understand! When I first saw my surgeon he said he could tell the patients who needed surgery by their slip-on shoes. Think about using all your post-surgery aids now - I don't think I'll ever give up on my grabber and long handled shoe-horn!
Hang in there. It does get better.
 
Aw thank you so much @Zelda - I really appreciate you touching base with me, this is all such a lonely process and I dont know how I would cope without you and the BoneSmart 'family'.

Feeling a little better mood wise today, which is good. Hubby had a seems to think that the kafuffle with the surgeon and $$ my hips are saying "stuff all of this, we have held on for too long". There is only so many times you can say "my hips hurt, and no there is not really anything that you can do for me" to family members.

Hubby is going to a job trial tonight - trialling out to do pizza deliveries at night. Which will be awesome to have the extra cash and alleviate some of the financial pressure - I am the 'bread-winner' and he has been a stay at home dad for some time now and he is going back to study so he can improve his future job chances.

So, unfortunately my Drs. appointment is off tonight as we only have one car. I will need to schedule another appointment - no major, it just means that I won't be able to get pain meds at the moment.

Have a great day!
 
There is only so many times you can say "my hips hurt, and no there is not really anything that you can do for me" to family members.
I ended up trying to hide the pain because I couldn't stand that conversation. My husband was the only person who really understood - he'd catch my eye to see if I needed something but otherwise just carry on as normal - whereas my mum made such I fuss it took a lot of effort not to snap at her.
I hope you get the medication sorted soon - can you get a phone appt?
 
For me it's funny how things work out. My husband started having problems breathing last year which forced him into retirement from his job so he has been home. At the same time I started having the serious problems with my hips. He is the one that helps me with my shoes and socks. He helps me turn in bed. Keeps me from overdoing. I don't know what would do without him.
 
I ended up trying to hide the pain because I couldn't stand that conversation

Oh I hear ya on that one! I think my boss asks me everyday "How are you doing" with a sympathetic tone - I love that she cares and thinks of me and keeps and eye out for me, but I really just don't know how to reply. "Its the same, I am in pain, it sucks and I just want it all over with" is not what I say but how I feel.

My husband was the only person who really understood
I don't know what would do without him.

Yes, my hubby is great like that too. I am very fortunate. He has broken both his legs, so he is aware of the pain of surgery and recovery and I haven't mopped or vacuumed a floor in 10 years - he has done all of that. He has done all of our son's sports running around, shopping etc (he is the stay at home dad) cleaning and cooking. Even if I want to garden, he lifts the pots up so I can pot the plants. He is a good one to hold onto!
 
In a week from tomorrow, I see my new surgeon. I am excited and a little nervous. I wonder if he will give me the same diagnosis as my previous surgeon - has anyone had that happen?

I have started really thinking about what I will do while I am staring at the ceiling. While I expect a lot of sleep to be going on I really want to start planning and thinking about what I will do. I am not a TV or movie watcher.

What I have found interesting, based on my observation and opinion, is that people who tend to suffer the most with the staying still required after surgery tend to be the ones that have been active up until their surgery. I haven't been active at all and pretty much spend the whole weekend in bed resting for the coming week. I am barely going out or contributing to the human race. So maybe I might be fine, no?

Here's to being able to contribute again! :ok:
 
I have started really thinking about what I will do while I am staring at the ceiling. While I expect a lot of sleep to be going on I really want to start planning and thinking about what I will do. I am not a TV or movie watcher.
So far my favorite activities are reading about two paragraphs before dozing and listlessly watching whatever is on TV. :rotfl: Nothing really seems to hold my attention for very long. Maybe I'll be better able to contribute to the list in a couple more days. I have my kindle loaded with new books when I'm ready.
What I have found interesting, based on my observation and opinion, is that people who tend to suffer the most with the staying still required after surgery tend to be the ones that have been active up until their surgery. I haven't been active at all and pretty much spend the whole weekend in bed resting for the coming week. I am barely going out or contributing to the human race. So maybe I might be fine, no?
I think you may be right here! I worked until the very last day I could, full time. I had slowed down on the afterwork activity some time ago, but remained as active as possible. I was just gutted when the surgeon said 4 weeks on a walker. But my body seems to be taking care of ticking the time away for me, I tire so easily.
Thinking of you!:flwrysmile:
 
I found reading to be very difficult the first few weeks of recovery because my brain was ridicuously foggy (I couldn't concentrate on much of anything). I'm not normally much of a tv watcher either, but it was either tv or staring at the ceiling, so I opted for tv. Oftentimes I would put something on that was really boring so I could sleep as much as possible. I'm used to working from home now, but after about six weeks I did start getting cabin fever. I found sitting outside to help tremendously.
 
I worked until the very last day I could, full time. I had slowed down on the afterwork activity some time ago

Ah this is very interesting @MI Chickie - I have just reduced my after work activity significantly and withdrawn from a lot of things that I was participating in. I will also be working right up to surgery date. I am already working 3 days from home but it has been very timely to have some major train works happening on my line for the next 4 weeks - adding 1.5 hours a day to my journey. Work has been VERY generous and will be allowing me to work from home for that period - that is awesome as the pain is getting worse.

I was just gutted when the surgeon said 4 weeks on a walker

I really feel for you! :console2: I am not surprised though given what you went through in surgery (with the breaks). It must feel incredibly restrictive! Do you think that he may review that time-frame?

I'm used to working from home now, but after about six weeks I did start getting cabin fever. I found sitting outside to help tremendously.

That is awesome advice @Cynthia777 - it is winter here at the moment so I might need to get a little creative! I have a sunroom so I might perch myself there a few times a week. I would love to visit my parents who have a country homestead for a couple of days but it is a really long drive. You have got the mind wheels whirring away though!
 
I love reading, but I just haven't been able to concentrate at all - books, magazines, anything. I think that might be part of the post-operative process. I worked right up to the op and I'm a busy person, so I'm hoping that the coming weeks bring something other than boredom! As I'm just home I am doing a lot of sleeping, but making some plans on how to fill the time. I have watched quite a lot of light comedy shows on my iPad, and I am planning to go through all the magazines people have bought me and start planning some home improvements! Also, would agree with @Cynthia777 that being outside is good - haven't done much of that yet!

However, although recovery has it's challenges, it does feel very different to the pre-op stage. In my case (and I know I'm not alone), having the surgery behind you is so good that you can put up with some of the not so great stuff, knowing that you're moving forward- Hang in there @JMACCA, I'm with you - hope you get your date soon:friends:
 
I'm sending you a big hug and lots of prayers

Aw thank you so much! I am sure that I hold no more weight on my shoulders than others here - some have it really rough! It is tough for all of us pre-surgery and I am sure that we have a lot of different 'weight' post surgery. What makes it great is having people like you around @Cynthia777 who makes us all feel great!

I have watched quite a lot of light comedy shows on my iPad, and I am planning to go through all the magazines people have bought me and start planning some home improvements!

WOW! it seems that you have a lot planned! That is really great! And thank you so much for your kind words.

It has been a tough day at work today - the pain levels have been quite high - I really don't know what makes some days worse than others and that is kinda frustrating. I am starting to fret about my appointment with my new surgeon on Monday. I really would like a bilateral as I do not have enough leave to have one hip done and wait for the second to be done. I am the 'breadwinner' in the family so I really can't afford to have leave without pay. I sincerely ask for prays regarding this as it is a real concern of mine. My previous surgeon had them booked a week a part which was awesome. I feel the worry slowly creeping in and I know that it is pointless as I do know what is going to happen in the appointment and it could all be for nought. So much of this journey is a mental challenge!
 
You really have my sympathy with the horrible painful days at work. It is so draining. Like you, I am the main breadwinner and I love my job but it has been no fun for the last year. I think you will feel better once you have some confirmation from the surgeon - it's not surprising you are worrying when things are so uncertain. The worry and the pain seem to create a bit of a vicious circle which makes you feel it's impossible to move forward.

For me, I found planning to be the key. I thought about what I could do pre and post op to make my life easier and bought some bits and pieces to help - clothes, grabber, sock-aid etc. I started to make the recovery plans that I'm trying to put into place now. It wasn't easy, but I think it helped to focus on the practical things that I could actually influence. Really hope it's a better day for you today
 
It is so draining. Like you, I am the main breadwinner and I love my job but it has been no fun for the last year

This is exactly how I feel - it is really tough 'performing' and managing something such as this which has you in such a holding pattern. While I am still performing well at work, I want this to be over so I can really do exceptionally well, but I also value the lessons that I am learning while being in this process.

I think it helped to focus on the practical things that I could actually influence.

That is really wise advice! Its the old Stephen Covey 'circle of influence' - worry about only what is in your circle of influence and not what it outside of that. Thank you for reminding me of that - that is really valuable!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom